Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 03:23 PM

22 posts, read 42,728 times

Advertisements

I am looking to start grad school at SMU next fall. My family and I will be moving to the Dallas area from central Missouri sometime this summer. My hubby does not yet have a job but is a Nurse Practitioner with 12 yrs experience in cardiology, so will probably be working at major hospital or cardiology practice. I would appreciate any relocation tips anyone can give! In particular need help with:

* Communities that have good public schools, are affordable & are a reasonable commute to SMU--my kids are in elementary now, but will be in Middle School soon & a good HS district is important to us as well; housing range $180-260K; also, Likelihood of finding a home with a YARD? --we have 2 labs who like to play outside & need at least some space to run/burn off steam

* Respected hospitals or Cardiology groups we should inquire to about jobs?

* What to expect/look out for in Dallas housing; common issues/concerns? Tax rates? or other things to consider when purchasing? (we've already been advised to look for energy efficient A/C)

* What to expect re: commuting, DART, general "getting around"

*Anything else you think would be helpful! THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,623,187 times
I can't answer all questions, but some.

Congratulations on graduate school at SMU.

For good schools that aren't crazy expensive, you might look at Lake Highlands or Richardson. In Lake Highlands, make sure the house is zoned to Richardson schools, not Dallas schools. Both areas would likely be about 20 minutes to SMU. In Lake Highlands, there are a lot of older ranch style homes on nice lots - plenty of room for your dogs.

Not sure about hospital programs for your hubby. Presbyterian, Medical City and Baylor are all super close with the other major hospitals just slightly further from LH or Richardson.

Good luck with your transition. You might search this forum for both LH and Richardson. There should be a lot of threads.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:39 PM

19,545 posts, read 17,806,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lablvrs View Post
I am looking to start grad school at SMU next fall. My family and I will be moving to the Dallas area from central Missouri sometime this summer. My hubby does not yet have a job but is a Nurse Practitioner with 12 yrs experience in cardiology, so will probably be working at major hospital or cardiology practice. I would appreciate any relocation tips anyone can give! In particular need help with:

* Communities that have good public schools, are affordable & are a reasonable commute to SMU--my kids are in elementary now, but will be in Middle School soon & a good HS district is important to us as well; housing range $180-260K; also, Likelihood of finding a home with a YARD? --we have 2 labs who like to play outside & need at least some space to run/burn off steam

* Respected hospitals or Cardiology groups we should inquire to about jobs?

* What to expect/look out for in Dallas housing; common issues/concerns? Tax rates? or other things to consider when purchasing? (we've already been advised to look for energy efficient A/C)

* What to expect re: commuting, DART, general "getting around"

*Anything else you think would be helpful! THANKS!
Richardson, Richardson, Richardson, nest such that your kids end up tracking towards Richardson Pierce High School - you'll thank me later.

Richardson also makes sense for you and hubby. you could drive to SMU in 10/15/20 minutes. Hubby could drive to Medical City Dallas, Presby Dallas, Baylor Heart Hospital (George Bush Tollway and Preston in Plano) and others easily. From Richardson to Parkland Hospital would be easily doable. Presby Plano too.

I'd chart all this out on a map.

ETA - forgot about Dallas Medical Center Farmers Branch = doable drive from Richardson.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 02-10-2012, 04:47 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
If you're coming for grad school and there's a possibilty you won't stay in the DFW area for 5+ years, RENT. DO NOT BUY. Homes appreciate VERY SLOWLY here and it will take about 5 years before you can break even on your purchase price after paying 10% in closing costs & realtors fees.

The Lake Highlands section of Dallas could meet your needs. It's 75243 & 75238 and is super close to Presbyterian Hospital (great cardiac unit - they saved my uncle's life about 5 years ago!) and about 10 minutes to SMU. Good public schools and very welcoming family community! Lots of park space and near White Rock Lake. Lot sizes will be in the .2-.25 acre range for the most part. You *could* afford to buy here if you decide to buy vs rent.

You could also look in the Lakewood / East Dallas area (75214 & 75206). Great public schools and again very family feel- all the way down to July 4th parades and school fundraisers and Friday night football games! You probably can't afford to buy there but you could still rent. It's 5-10 min from SMU and very close to both Presbyterian and Baylor Hospitals. Baylor also has an outstanding cardiac unit.

In addition to Baylor & Presbyterian, UT Southwestern is just northwest of downtown Dallas (about 15-20 min from both Lakewood and LH) and is a fabulous teaching hospital.

There is also a Methodist Hospital in North Oak Cliff- just west of downtown. I am not sure if it's cardiac reputation but worth checking out for location alone. Nice facilities.

Richardson is the closest suburb that meets your needs - due north of Dallas. It is about 20 minutes to SMU and 15-30 minutes from most big hospitals. There is a Baylor Heart Center on George Bush Toll road on the Richardson/ Plano border wthat would also be worth looking into.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:18 PM

3,810 posts, read 8,706,838 times
Methodist Richardson off of 75 at Campbell is an accredited Cycle III Chest Pain Center. They actually have one of the fastest 911 to Cath times in North Texas.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 PM

690 posts, read 1,723,640 times
I worked with a person that drove from Hughly Hospital in south Fort Worth to Frisco. On a good day it was two hour drive one-way. Luckily he had a considerate manager and a short term position.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:03 PM

11,821 posts, read 26,709,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
It is possible to take DART rail and hook up with TRE rail, then take a TRE bus to work.
That would take even longer. Remember: you have to go into downtown Dallas to get onto the TRE. I would estimate at least 3 hours this way.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
If you're going to work in Fort Worth, I strongly recommend living in Fort Worth or Tarrant County. Seriously. If you live in Allen and work in FW, you will hate life.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
I'd rather live in Plano than Coppell....Coppell is so out there and to me it's a very country, windswept place with more airplane noise than I could tolerate.

The school district is good...not as good as it used to be, but up there with the better districts in DFW.

Commuting to Coppell from Richardson or Plano has very large suckage potential because you'd be using 190 (expensive tolls, congestion) or 635 (very heavy congestion with construction now and heavy tolls later).

So...that being the case...yes, look in Coppell itself. Or possibly Grapevine.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:05 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,208,810 times
My husband had a job by Boeing when we lived in Plano before 121 was completed. He commuted for 2 hours each way. It was total madness. It was supposed to be for a short term but turned into a year. I don't wish that on anyone. I felt like a single mom.

Today that commute would be about 90 minutes because of the contruction in Grapevine otherwise, 1 hour.

If the hotel option works that's great, or see if you can negotiate longer work days so you can work another day from home.

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas