Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 AM

673 posts, read 3,083,510 times

Advertisements

When I moved to Dallas 1 and half year ago, I was thinking I would driving down to Dallas CBD more often. However, it has been almost 4 months since I last went there! It about 30 minutes drive with no traffic problems, so it not really that far.

However, just seems like there is no reason for me to travel all way there. I live in NE Richardson and travel to Garland for work. For shopping at mall and restaurant I head to Plano. My nearest Kroger is at Plano and Wal-mart at North Garland. I do go down to Richardson downtown for deshi (south Asian) food and stuff. Seem like everything need or want to do is up here at Richardson/Plano/Garland.

Seem like I really live in these cities instead of "Dallas Metro". I feel quite disconnected for main city of Dallas. Heck, I tend to get lost if I venture into Dallas City limits, espcially in Downtown. However, I know Richardson/Plano/Garland very well and haven't gotten lost here yet Anyone else here feel disconnect from Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 11:46 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,134,677 times
Yes. I don't miss it (Dallas) and I purposely disconnected from Dallas.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:46 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,159,565 times
I used to feel the same way (live in southwest Plano) until I realized that you can get to downtown and thereabouts in about 20 minutes as early as 7pm...now we go to more cool restaurants and pubs down there. Still don't spend too much time down there b/c I am one of those lame people whose nose gets out of joint if I have to struggle to find parking. I hate that.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:48 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,735,293 times
I've lived in the Dallas area for 24 years. Most of those years, in Richardson. I've gone downtown probably a total of 20 times in all those years. What's the big deal about downtown? Everything you need is in the immediate city you live in.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:53 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,423,852 times
Well, I work in downtown Dallas, so I am there everyday of the week. And we also go to Downtown Dallas a lot on the weekends and stuff or go by it on the highway.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:53 AM

673 posts, read 3,083,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I've lived in the Dallas area for 24 years. Most of those years, in Richardson. I've gone downtown probably a total of 20 times in all those years. What's the big deal about downtown? Everything you need is in the immediate city you live in.
Wow, 20 times in 24 years? Wonder if thats some kind of record there!

Interesting thing I have to tell everyone not from DFW that I "live" in Dallas metro. When some of relatives or friends talk to me or come they except I actually know something about downtown Dallas! I am actually almost clueless about Dallas as most tourist come here.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:20 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,735,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Wow, 20 times in 24 years? Wonder if thats some kind of record there!
I've been to the Westend a handful of times. There aren't restuarants down there that aren't elsewhere. I've been to the court house to fight a ticket that I won. I've been to the Fox studios for, what turned out to be, a sales pitch for a new real estate program they were doing.

The state fair is not downtown, but kinda same general area, and I've been there a couple of times. I used to live on lower Greenville, and nevevr had a reason to go downtown. Greenville had/has enough culture. I'm back in Richardson, and everything I need is right here.

Plus, why pay for parking when I don't have to? They nickel and dime everything down there.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:47 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,445,313 times
For the past two years I hardly ever left downtown Dallas. I lived there and I work there. Now I only go there monday-Friday for work. Downtown has its fun spots. But I agree parking is a PIA!!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:00 PM

308 posts, read 1,229,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
For the past two years I hardly ever left downtown Dallas. I lived there and I work there. Now I only go there monday-Friday for work. Downtown has its fun spots. But I agree parking is a PIA!!!!
Parking?? This is Dallas, you VALET everywhere you go (unfortunately).

I hardley ever go downtown, even though I live very close. There really hasn't been much down there until recently, but things are looking up.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:15 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,209,506 times
I always thought that was a feature of Dallas, poorly understood by the poster in the 'observations about Dallas' thread.

I used to live in Oak Lawn and frequented downtown Dallas by bicycle on many weekends, but never Richardson or Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas