U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 PM

86 posts, read 274,747 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help us out... ticket received for running a red light in a local
town in Collin Co. Ticket was written by the local town police. Ive been
trying to find out info about what options are available...just paying the
fine, taking a class, are points involved???

The person is 44yrs old ... first ticket ever! I could not find info on this
within Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 09:09 PM

134 posts, read 331,325 times
There should be a phone number on your ticket. You can call them and ask about your options. I've had to call those numbers before and ask the dumbest questions, like "What is the name of your courthouse?" when I've had to fill in that part of my DD form. Generally, whoever answers the phone is pretty nice.

Your options, as far as I know, are to either pay the ticket in full and have it be on your record, take defensive driving (they offer it online now, which is a better way to take it, in my opinion. You can start and stop the course at any tme, and it's $25 for the course.), or- and I'm a little fuzzy on this last one, so if anyone wants to help me out, that'd be good- you can pled deferred ajudacation, pay twice the amount of the ticket, and not have it affect your insurance. You just can't get another ticket in that county within the next year or something bad happens- like you have to pay another fine or something. But I would call the number on the ticket anyway and ask. The cops never tell you about the deferred ajudacation thing. I've never done it myself because it's so expensive and defensive driving is so much cheaper.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:10 PM

2,289 posts, read 4,250,663 times
You need to contact the municipal court for the city that issued you the ticket to find out your options. The phone number should be on the ticket.

The County will not be involved with municipal tickets so you will not be finding any info searching that.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 PM

86 posts, read 274,747 times
Thanks for the info. Since the county isnt involved and the town is...
is it still reported as points on a drivers license or to the insurance...

I will call them tomorrow to try and find out.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 PM

2,289 posts, read 4,250,663 times
Yes it is. It's still a legal violation.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:05 AM

8,640 posts, read 14,789,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLara View Post
There should be a phone number on your ticket. You can call them and ask about your options. I've had to call those numbers before and ask the dumbest questions, like "What is the name of your courthouse?" when I've had to fill in that part of my DD form. Generally, whoever answers the phone is pretty nice.

Your options, as far as I know, are to either pay the ticket in full and have it be on your record, take defensive driving (they offer it online now, which is a better way to take it, in my opinion. You can start and stop the course at any tme, and it's $25 for the course.), or- and I'm a little fuzzy on this last one, so if anyone wants to help me out, that'd be good- you can pled deferred ajudacation, pay twice the amount of the ticket, and not have it affect your insurance. You just can't get another ticket in that county within the next year or something bad happens- like you have to pay another fine or something. But I would call the number on the ticket anyway and ask. The cops never tell you about the deferred ajudacation thing. I've never done it myself because it's so expensive and defensive driving is so much cheaper.
I did the deferred thing recently. The deal is you pay the ticket, but you are on probation so to speak for however long they say. Mine was 3 months (my ticket was speeding.) If you don't get another ticket within that time, it will not go on your record and your insurance will not go up therefore. If you do, however, get another ticket during probationary period, the first ticket will go on your record as well as the second one. Hope this clarifies. I don't know if all tickets are eligible to be handled this way. You would need to check.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:52 AM

6,752 posts, read 11,002,722 times
Do defensive driving. No points on your license, AND you get a 10% discount on your liability insurance for completing the class. You pay the court costs of the ticket (about $50) and take the class, and send in the paperwork and it does NOT go on your record!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas