Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 06:29 PM

53 posts, read 251,107 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Dallas shortly and plan to stay in Las Colinas. However, my commute will be to Lake June Road in Dallas. I'd like to keep the commute to 30 mins or so. I'm not aware of how bad the traffic is in the freeways involved (114, 183E, I35E, I30E, I45S, 175E whew!!!)

Is this doable or am I inviting trouble ? Should I move more South/East?

Also, how safe is the neighborhood around Lake June Road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I would probably do it. Los Colinas is a great area to live in and you are not going to find anything similar near Lake June. It would be better if you were not going through the heart of Dallas as there can be some serious traffic congestion getting through town, but if I were renting and single and new to the area, I would probably go for it.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:46 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Lake June is pretty rough. That is Pleasant Grove, and depending on how far away you are from 635, it gets rougher. Don't plan on hanging around at work after dark...

The good thing is that once you pass downtown Dallas, you will have no traffic. Be careful of "Dead Man's Curve" on 175!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:54 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Once you past Downtown you will be good. It's gonna take longer than 30 minutes from Los Colina's to Lake June road. Have you considered living in Uptown.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 AM

Wow, you guys are very helpful. Its been very informative. Thanks a lot.

To give everyone some context, I'm a married woman and am moving from San Francisco. We will be staying in an apt until we get to know the area a little better. We don't mind moving closer to Dallas provided we find good apartments/areas.

Grainraiser, what are the good areas in uptown? I read some apartment reviews and gave up after reading about safety issues that made me uncomfortable at most apartments (cars stolen, drug dealers, shootings etc). Maybe these are exaggerated, but they did put me on the defensive and thats why we thought Las Colinas was a safer bet.

ChristieP, the place is about 1 mile east of 175 (so its b/w 175 and 635). Is this area rough as well ? And whats the dead man's curve ?

Last edited by sftransplant; 12-17-2008 at 11:49 AM..

Old 12-17-2008, 05:44 PM

Dead Man's Curve is where 175 makes a 90-degree turn at Lamar Street. There was a story in the news a few months ago about how this is one of the most poorly-engineered roads in Dallas. There are a LOT of wrecks there from cars taking the turn too fast. Supposedly the road is going to be redone, but who knows when!

Honestly, the neighborhood of Lake June Road and 175/Jim Miller Road is very bad. It's called Pleasant Grove or Fair Park. This is one of the highest crime areas of Dallas. Here's a crime map: http://maps.dallascityhall.com/index.asp?mo=CrimesOnMap

If I may ask, what profession are you in that would require you to work in such an area?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:02 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftransplant View Post
I'll be moving to Dallas shortly and plan to stay in Las Colinas. However, my commute will be to Lake June Road in Dallas. I'd like to keep the commute to 30 mins or so. I'm not aware of how bad the traffic is in the freeways involved (114, 183E, I35E, I30E, I45S, 175E whew!!!)

Is this doable or am I inviting trouble ? Should I move more South/East?

Also, how safe is the neighborhood around Lake June Road?
That commute would take about 30 minutes, and in my opinion, that is not bad at all. It would definitely be worth it to live in the Las Colinas area as that is a very nice area.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:23 AM

$DFW8$ thanks.

ChristieP, I'm in the allied health sector. The crime map looks really scary. I can barely see the map behind all the crime incidents marked on the map. I have many options at this point and may consider a job in another area instead. How is St Francis Ave just south of White Rock lake ? The crime map seems quite bad for this area as well.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:07 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

Honestly, the neighborhood of Lake June Road and 175/Jim Miller Road is very bad. It's called Pleasant Grove or Fair Park. This is one of the highest crime areas of Dallas. Here's a crime map: City of Dallas Interactive Maps

If I may ask, what profession are you in that would require you to work in such an area?
Yes, ditto to what Christie said about Pleasant Grove. Lived in Pleasant Grove just north of Lake June Road for about 8 years. Avoid it.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
ChristieP, I'm in the allied health sector. The crime map looks really scary. I can barely see the map behind all the crime incidents marked on the map. I have many options at this point and may consider a job in another area instead. How is St Francis Ave just south of White Rock lake ? The crime map seems quite bad for this area as well.
Yes, that area isn't really good, either. I work in healthcare HR, and I will be very honest that there are a LOT of better places to work in the DFW area!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: