Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,986,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If they do bring Trader Joe's to DFW it will not be anywhere near me in Richardson, they will build it in Frisco or Plano to be close to the Californians and I am not going to Frisco or Plano to do my grocery shopping. So it will not affect me at all!
If I would have known Frisco and plano were full of Californians I would have moved over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:39 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,740,786 times
Aldi is no frills ultra low price. Wal*Mart didn't have a chance against Aldi and Lidl in Germany.
It'll be interesting to see how Aldi does in DFW. The economic downturn is great for Aldi.

Jim Prevor's Perishable Pundit

Old 02-26-2010, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,170 times
As an ALDI employee I would like to clarify some things.

In the past few years ALDI has really focused on the quality of the product in the stores and the appearance of the stores. When I was in college I will admit that the ALDI store in town looked sketchy. The new store model with high ceilings and large windows has dramatically changed the feel of the stores.

The no-name products that were mentioned, the products sold at ALDI come from the same big name food producers with our private label. It is for the most part the same product labled with our own private brands. In other words we don't have to pay the premium from the supplier for the "name" brand and labeling, passing the savings directly to the customer. Every product is blind taste tested at corporate headquarters multiple times a year against the "name" brands. If our private label version doesn't meet or exceed the name brand we act on it.

ALDI also keeps the number of products in the store down to reduce costs. Do you really need 5 types of ketchup? Same reason you bag your own product, cut costs and pass savings to consumers.

Last point to address, Trader Joes has really no connection to ALDI operations in the US. ALDI north and ALDI south are two independent companies. Germany (where the Albrecht brothers are from) is divided in half between ALDI north and ALDI south. ALDI south operates in the US and many other countries. ALDI north is connected to TJ. TJ and ALDI do not share wharehouses, technology, operations, nothing. So ALDI being in Denton has no relevance if TJ will operate there.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:47 PM

3,808 posts, read 8,692,630 times
Can you explain the concept behind locating in declining neighborhoods? I know of 7 different suburban stores that are located in shopping centers that have been all but abandoned by any sort of quality shopping. Even the store in Frisco that has been touted as "upscale" is an abandoned Albertsons with your typical donut/nail/dry cleaners strip center. And it used to be a very nice corner.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Can you explain the concept behind locating in declining neighborhoods? I know of 7 different suburban stores that are located in shopping centers that have been all but abandoned by any sort of quality shopping. Even the store in Frisco that has been touted as "upscale" is an abandoned Albertsons with your typical donut/nail/dry cleaners strip center. And it used to be a very nice corner.
Hi Murphy,

Unfortunately the real estate discipline is probably the only area I have no knowledge about. Since I work at corporate (Chicago land area) and my work only takes me to the divisional offices (office + warehouse) I really have no knowledge regarding how and where ALDI decides to build stores.

The stores you know of are they the older model? (not the high ceiling, large open windows that stretch to the ceiling) And what city are you from? My limited exposure to the stores has always been in good locations, but I have only been exposed to the stores in the Chicago suburbs around the corporate headquarters. The work I do does not require me to visit the actual stores.

I am sorry I do not have a better answer.

Another thing I would like to mention; produce and fresh meat has become a very focal point of the business since I have been there. The quality of the produce in my opinion is very good. I have witnessed first hand many occasions where warehouse supervisors reject unacceptable produce from the suppliers. All divisions work with local produce suppliers to ensure the best and freshest produce.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:08 PM

722 posts, read 2,093,468 times
I shopped in Aldi when I lived in Nashville and Chicagoland. I think the reason you find them in less affluent areas is that is the group likely to shop there because the prices are cheap. I swear my wife and I spent 20.00 a week there. Its not going to be a Whole Foods experience, its a no frills shopping experience. Cant wait for stores to open.

Have they pinned down a grand opening date. I have the plan set. go in, head straight for the bananas, grab a banana box and start shopping.

just saw this as well

Aldi Texas

Old 02-27-2010, 03:11 PM

3,808 posts, read 8,692,630 times
OneTime,

I live in DFW. Aldi's is coming into the area with 27 new stores. Interesting way to launch a new market IMO.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:15 PM

722 posts, read 2,093,468 times
ALDI - shopping smarter

Old 06-06-2012, 06:47 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,340,031 times
Just as I suspected back in 2008... Trader Joe's does follow Aldi's arrival.

Trader Joe's Also Opening in Dallas, Plano | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Old 06-06-2012, 07:12 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,621,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Just as I suspected back in 2008... Trader Joe's does follow Aldi's arrival.

Trader Joe's Also Opening in Dallas, Plano | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
This was an interesting thread to see revived, as I wondered how recent an arrival Aldi's was. Many of my co-workers were unaware of Aldi's and didn't know they were in Dallas at all. (OTOH, me and a co-worker from MA found them almost immediately).

It will be nice to see TJ's here, but darn if it won't be a zoo at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas