U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 03:08 PM

11 posts, read 38,564 times

Advertisements

I am a divorced woman thinking of moving to Dallas from the Chicago area. Any suggestions on what is a good, safe and affordable area for singles? I would like a short 30 - 40 minute commute to work, and a nice but not too family oriented area or suburb. I don't have a job but I figure I can work on that when I get out there. I have a very close relative in Rowlett. What is that area like? I am looking for a condo or townhome. Just would like some feedback. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 03:11 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,152,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmover View Post
I am a divorced woman thinking of moving to Dallas from the Chicago area. Any suggestions on what is a good, safe and affordable area for singles? I would like a short 30 - 40 minute commute to work, and a nice but not too family oriented area or suburb. I don't have a job but I figure I can work on that when I get out there. I have a very close relative in Rowlett. What is that area like? I am looking for a condo or townhome. Just would like some feedback. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.
You would probably want to look in Uptown around Knox-Henderson and Greenville Ave. Also look at condos in downtown Dallas. These areas are more friendly for singles as they have more of a nightlife scene and are more urban like what Chicago has. They have a lot of shopping and restaurants and you would be closer to work.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:39 PM

587 posts, read 1,481,582 times
Most of the suburbs are VERY family-oriented. That is one complaint that you will see on the boards from singles who have moved to Dallas and purchased homes in the 'burbs. I would second the recommendations from $DFW8$ - uptown is the place for single professionals in Dallas - the only problem may be affordability - because it is so desirable, prices are quite high compared to the suburbs. Best of Luck with your move!!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:11 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,202,923 times
Quote:
Rowlett is a family 'burb to the east of Dallas on Lake Ray Hubbard. It's nice, but probably not the best place for a single person. It's also quite a schlep from central Dallas. I too recommend Uptown. Specifically the West Village area West Village. Now is a great time to buy real estate, but I suspect that will be the case for all or most of 2009. As a newcomer, I highly recommend that you lease a place for the first 6-12 months to make sure that you like it here. You would have plenty of time to explore the many great neighborhoods of Dallas. Plus if you buy something and you end up getting a job someplace too far away, then you might regret your purchase.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 PM

6,585 posts, read 23,526,773 times
You might look at Addison. It's not so much a family oriented place as it falls mostly in the Dallas schools and people with kids usually avoid that. It's also a "Wet" area so there are lots of restaurants and bars. It's sortof centrally located which is good since you don't have a job location yet.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:53 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,689,055 times
No go on Rowlett for a single person. Even friends that I know that lived in Rowlett and ended up divorced moved AWAY from the area because it just wasn't the right "mix" for a single person. Total "bedroom community" so even local hangouts to meet other singles is not much of an opportunity. There are also VERY FEW apartments/condos/townhomes in Rowlett. Heck, I've known singles that live in Garland that have much better luck only because there are more apartments for them and some restaurants with bars that stay open late and are hoping. But it is still a "bedroom community". The only suburb that you will find more singles in is Addison. Other than that...... head to Dallas. Uptown, Knox/Henderson, The Village, Victory Plaza area, McKinney Ave, etc are ALL much better for a single person and put you in a better area if you don't have a job lined up already.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:04 AM

How is the Plano and San Antonio areas? I know they are no where near each other but my daughter's suggested looking in those two places. I still have to sell a house here, so it isn't like I am in a hurry. I do have time to do some research. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your input.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:59 AM

396 posts, read 1,002,190 times
Quote:
How is the Plano and San Antonio areas? I know they are no where near each other but my daughter's suggested looking in those two places. I still have to sell a house here, so it isn't like I am in a hurry. I do have time to do some research. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your input.
Plano is like Garland, only a little farther North. These are mostly blue-collar, middle-class communities. I currently live in Garland, but I've spent a few months in Plano, too. I lived in Frisco and North Dallas (less than a mile from Addison) for a few years; these are newer and more hip areas. Frisco has one of the highest median incomes in the nation, but it is very family oriented and not much for jobs.

I like San Antonio, but I've been there only a few times. It seems like a nice place. My impression is that it is the favorite city of Texans, that is, more Texans favor it than any other Texas city.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:58 PM

91 posts, read 308,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
Plano is like Garland, only a little farther North. These are mostly blue-collar, middle-class communities. I currently live in Garland, but I've spent a few months in Plano, too. I lived in Frisco and North Dallas (less than a mile from Addison) for a few years; these are newer and more hip areas. Frisco has one of the highest median incomes in the nation, but it is very family oriented and not much for jobs.
I wouldn't label Plano as "blue-collar" as Garland. Both cities are mixed, but Plano has much more upper-mid-class than Garland. That doesn't say it's better in any way, just economically what it is.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:51 PM

How is the job market out that way? I would only be looking for secretarial or clerical work. And what are the real estate taxes like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas