Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 01:54 PM

66 posts, read 382,461 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for a place that makes authentice(small) tamales with beef or pork and raisins. My grandmother was from Laredo and used to make the BEST! I'm not talking the Uncle Julio's tamales. I want the real tamales. Please help! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 06:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
You can make your own with masa from Fiesta stores. Those are amazingly good.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 PM

438 posts, read 1,783,382 times
How about restaurants serving good menudo? I've had canned but never fresh. Any recommendations?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:50 PM

60 posts, read 280,036 times
It's so hard to find tamales as good as momma makes them!! My mother, in my humble opinion, MAKES THEM THE BEST!!! lol

I've tasted plenty always searching because I don't know how to make them myself. And like you, would only really care for them if they came close to my moms. Negative...I haven't found any.

So this past year I decided that I would suck it up and really learn the recipe. Cause usually I would arrive after she'd already cooked and prepped everything. Sit down and just spread the masa on the husk, place the meat down the side and roll it up.....as if I had really made tamales.

I know my mother has used Fiesta's masa. But she adds lard, salt and some of the juice from the pork she cooked. It gives it a nice color and far better taste!

Try La Michoacana Meat Market. There are several in the metro area and the one in Garland makes really good menudo. Another dish I recently learned how to cook too! lol But I haven't tried their tamales. OH and they sale excellent seasoned fajita meat.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
The Fiesta masa is awesome. My mother also uses extra spices and ingredients in with the masa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESITOSDECOCO View Post
It's so hard to find tamales as good as momma makes them!! My mother, in my humble opinion, MAKES THEM THE BEST!!! lol

I've tasted plenty always searching because I don't know how to make them myself. And like you, would only really care for them if they came close to my moms. Negative...I haven't found any.

So this past year I decided that I would suck it up and really learn the recipe. Cause usually I would arrive after she'd already cooked and prepped everything. Sit down and just spread the masa on the husk, place the meat down the side and roll it up.....as if I had really made tamales.

I know my mother has used Fiesta's masa. But she adds lard, salt and some of the juice from the pork she cooked. It gives it a nice color and far better taste!

Try La Michoacana Meat Market. There are several in the metro area and the one in Garland makes really good menudo. Another dish I recently learned how to cook too! lol But I haven't tried their tamales. OH and they sale excellent seasoned fajita meat.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Aztec Tortilla in Garland on Forest Lane makes AWESOME homemade tamales and tortillas. Good food all the way around here

Aparicio's Plano Tortilla Factory & Cafe is another longtime good spot for homemade tamalies. Located on 18th in Plano just east of 75 and west of Ave K.

After that I just ask friends from my daughters school There are a few that make them and sell them

Old 01-03-2009, 12:30 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Luna's Tortillas was established by Maria Luna in 1924, the first Hispanic businesswoman in Dallas.

Luna's Tortillas
tortilla factory 214-747-2661
1615 Mckinney Ave
Dallas, TX 75202-1257
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas