U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:12 PM

17 posts, read 39,128 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Dallas from Iowa City, Iowa and am wondering if I could get any feedback about the city. I am 23 years old, single and a teacher. Would you recommend the Dallas or the surrounding area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 PM

113 posts, read 354,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowateacher View Post
I am considering a move to Dallas from Iowa City, Iowa and am wondering if I could get any feedback about the city. I am 23 years old, single and a teacher. Would you recommend the Dallas or the surrounding area?

Anything north of Dallas or Fort Worth is a really good area, All of Dallas is good but areas like Plano, Allen, McKinney, Frisco, Lewisivlle, Carrollton, Littte Elm, Flower Mound, Cornith, Denton, Justin, Southlake, Grapevine.

It is hard to say what would be good for you, What do you want? What are some of the things that matter to you then that will provide more of a location for you.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:05 PM

I guess I am wondering more about the life in Dallas. Is it a good place to live for young singles? Is it a nice city in terms of the people, are they friendly? Overall, what is the quality of life like there?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,278,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowateacher View Post
I guess I am wondering more about the life in Dallas. Is it a good place to live for young singles? Is it a nice city in terms of the people, are they friendly? Overall, what is the quality of life like there?
In Dallas, life is good, there are loads of young singles who find life in Dallas to be good. The people are good, the people are friendly and they are good and friendly.

The quality of life is what you make it. Come live here for a while, if you don't like you can always go to LA or NYC or Seattle.

Dallas is one of those destination growth cities where bad times don't pursue you. You can find bad times but they're not coming after you. There's urban, there's suburban and now there's exurban. And then there's Fort Worth. You can mix it up any way you like.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:02 AM

1,491 posts, read 4,644,121 times
If you are planning to continue in the teaching field, this may not be the place unless you have a specialty such as math or science or special ed. Dallas ISD laid off hundreds of teachers this year in the middle of the year. (You couldn't pay me enough to teach in Dallas proper anyhow, but that's just me.....me and a lot of other people!). The surburbs have got twice as many applicants as positions available. There is rapid growth and new campuses being built all the time, but there is still an oversupply of teachers. The population is young and well-educated and there are a number of colleges in the area that offer teaching degrees so I don't see that job situation changing any time soon.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the advice. However, I don't plan on moving unless I have a job. Unfortunately the competitiveness of the elementary job market is not limited to Dallas. Up here in Iowa City, they have roughly 500 applicants per one teaching position. Its just a competitive field, and is one reason I am open to places all over the country. I have just found that Dallas really interests me so I wanted some input from natives and those living there. They also have nice winters, which is a plus!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:51 PM

428 posts, read 1,238,232 times
After living 4 years @ UNI in Waterloo/Cedar Falls...

You are talking about the 4th largest city in the US vs....a vast corn field that is covered in snow 4 month out of the year.

There is no comparison. Not to demean Iowa. It was a great place to go to college. But Dallas IS Dallas.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:24 AM

52 posts, read 106,774 times
I went to school at U of I. I'm from Texas, went to school there, and then moved to Dallas. Iowa City is such a great place, but not one that you can really put down roots IMO. Iowa City is a lot more like Austin (more liberal, culture, live music, etc) so your comfort level might be better there. For young singles the Addison and Uptown area are great. I'm not a huge fan of uptown, however, due to the few 30k millionaires and materialistic women that ruin it for everybody.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:36 AM

5,856 posts, read 6,896,086 times
I would agree. If you want a good place for singles and a feel like Iowa City, but with more going on I would say Austin is your place.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 AM

29,965 posts, read 47,162,968 times
but the teaching market in Austin is just as overcrowded and desparate as Dallas area
beware
this is not the state that is looking for teachers unless you are willing to teach in a marginal school or non-public like a charter school where the pay and benefits are rarely comprable...
if you do have math/science specialization--the upper elementary like 4-6 or jr high seems to be where the market is going right now...
and you will need ESL certification addendum which you will be expected to get the first year you teach here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or