U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-08-2007, 10:54 AM

12 posts, read 37,044 times
Default Cost to modify floorplan, custom home builders

Sorry I'm a totally newbie.

Considering builders like Drees, Darling, David Weekley in DFW, if I want to modify floorplan, how much more I should expect will be charged? Or is it free because these builders are considered semi-custom?

The modifications I would like to have are:
  • Extended master bathroom. Looking that their floorplan on paper, most of them seems not large enough. I am thinking to have standalone bathtub, even have a TV. And I prefer everything not to be too crowded. For example, sitting bathtub side by side with the sink table turns me off. Same if shower room is less than one foot away from bathtub. If I want a Kohler standalone bathtub do I need to buy and install myself?
  • In Library/study room, have several big bookshelf with roller, maybe multi-layer design to conserve space. Because these type of bookshelf will be fixture, I prefer they to be done by builders instead of hiring someone else.

Why I want such a big bathroom? Well considering a busy working class, most of the time you spend in house is actually on the bed, or in bathroom. On the bed you are not awake so most of the time you're awake in home is in the bathroom. At least it's my lifestyle. So it should be most enjoyable place in a home in my opinion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 11:03 AM

4,027 posts, read 12,945,798 times
On one hand the builder makes their profits by sticking to plan and not doing custom work, on the other hand asking before building is the way to make it as cheap as possible. I would guess it will vary from one builder to the next but my experience has been they are open to interior changes if 1) they are broadly marketable, and 2) you have made a substantial deposit. Changes to exterior walls and plumbing may be harder to get but will again need to be marketable (in case you do not close) and covered by deposit.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:38 AM

549 posts, read 1,512,197 times
Also depends on the builder. Some will not make any changes and others are more open to it.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:03 PM

3,001 posts, read 10,055,373 times
Darling will work with you on this for sure.

The bookshelves are custom built-ins, and they do alot of these The bath-tub may be trickier, but if you want to pay, they will move just about anything around. Darling, Drees, Sotherby, Highland, this is all pars for the course for those guys. They will even add space to the house if you want it (at like $110 a sq/ft).

One word of caution, sitting the tub in the middle of the floor may not be the best thing for resale as I'm not sure a majority of people would prefer this (we looked at one home with this feature and it looked odd - you felt like you were on display). But if resale is of no concern, then do it.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Darling will work with you on this for sure.

The bookshelves are custom built-ins, and they do alot of these The bath-tub may be trickier, but if you want to pay, they will move just about anything around. Darling, Drees, Sotherby, Highland, this is all pars for the course for those guys. They will even add space to the house if you want it (at like $110 a sq/ft).

One word of caution, sitting the tub in the middle of the floor may not be the best thing for resale as I'm not sure a majority of people would prefer this (we looked at one home with this feature and it looked odd - you felt like you were on display). But if resale is of no concern, then do it.
how is yours coming along?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:38 PM

They just have the framing up for the area where the slab goes in. Not sure when that portion will be done. The nieghbor next to me is moving along quickly.I'm in no hurry (family doesn't come till July) so I'm not pushing.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:33 PM

Seems to be moving long nicely. How long do you think it will take from when you signed the contract to when you move in?

Old 03-08-2007, 06:32 PM

I think 5-6 months is the rule of thumb.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:32 AM

87 posts, read 174,027 times
DR Horton also will allow you to modify the floorplan/blueprints as long as its in planning/pre-contruction. I'm not sure on pricing though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas