U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,720,356 times

Advertisements

I may be coming to the D/FW in March to visit, and I need a general idea of what the weather will be like, so I'll be prepared with the right clothes. Will it be cold or warm? Rainy/Stormy? I've only been to Dallas during the summertime and late fall, so I'm not too familiar with spring in North Texas.

Will there be any significant events going on that I should take note of?

Also, I may be going to Austin and San Antonio for a couple of days. How far is the drive? Would it be faster to take 35W or 35E to head down that way (I know the two reunite south of the metroplex, which is the better route) or is the difference between the two negligible?

Thank you for your responses!

Last edited by grindin; 01-14-2009 at 09:38 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:48 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Will it be cold or warm? Rainy/Stormy?
Yes.

Seriously, March is hard to predict here. Bring a jacket and something you can layer in case a cold front comes through. Otherwise, it should be pleasant and 70's. Generally, the storms don't start until later in the spring.

Quote:
Also, I may be going to Austin and San Antonio for a couple of days. How far is the drive? Would it be faster to take 35W or 35E to head down that way (I know the two reunite south of the metroplex, which is the better route) or is the difference between the two negligible?

Thank you for your responses!
Austin is about 3-3.5 hours, San Antonio 4-5 hours going down 35. Whether to take W or E depends on where you will be leaving from. W is generally lighter traffic, but if you are leaving from Dallas, it is not worth driving to Ft. Worth to use it.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 AM

599 posts, read 1,479,041 times
It can be anywhere from 25 degrees and snow to sunny and 85! It snowed last March, which can occasionally happen that late in the season. So, bring a little bit of everything!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:13 AM

91 posts, read 218,233 times
Yeah, March is an unknown. Could be icy or snow, or it could be summertime already with spring already gone. The weather here is like a Monty Python segment where seasons can be skipped altogether in a mixed-up way.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:26 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,105,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymachinebl View Post
It can be anywhere from 25 degrees and snow to sunny and 85! It snowed last March, which can occasionally happen that late in the season. So, bring a little bit of everything!
I agree. Dallas weather can get a little wild in March.

Take last March as an example:
*The month's lowest temperature was 25F on March 8th
*The highest was 88F on March 30 and 87F on March 14th
*6.07 inches of rain fell during the month (normal is 3.06 inches)
*On March 3rd, 6th, and 7th, light snow fell
*Heavy Rain/Thunderstorm conditions were reported six times during the month

Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,562,207 times
March, Dallas weather............ predicting it...... right

I've seen BLIZZARDS (March 1998) and I've even heated up the pool to let the kids swim because it is so warm. Worked on my tan when I was younger during spring break and stuck here. March is a crapshot.

In short, here is what to expect in Dallas with the weather in March:
HOT
Wind
Bitter Cold
Wind
Snow
Wind
Ice
Thunderstorms
Wind
HOT
Warm
Wind
Cold
Wind
*it gets pretty windy here

What to bring clothes wise:
Shorts
Pants
Jacket/Coat (one w/ a zipout liner would be great incase it does get very cold)
umbrella
sandals
boots (not cowboy but more of the all purpose type like from Sketchers, the short ankle type boots) or other close-toed shoes.
Jeans
Short sleeved shirts
Long sleeved shirts
A good credit card so you can go shopping to get any clothes you did not bring that you need due to the weather change while you were here.

As for heading down to Austin or San Antonio:
How many days will you be here first?
It is a 4 hour drive to Austin and 5 to San Antonio depending on traffic and road construction. March is Spring Break - expect HEAVY traffic and I-35 is under continuous road construction so allow more time than mentioned.
If your heading that way from Dallas you will take I-35E. If your heading that way from Ft Worth you will take I-35W.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:06 AM

Thank you for the responses so far. It looks like I may have my work cut out for me packing . I figured the weather would be kind of unpredictable during March, but it's the only time I have right now when I have both school and work off.

I plan on being in D/FW for about 3 days or so, drive down to SA, spend the night there and drive back to catch my flight.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:17 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,562,207 times
Quote:
I plan on being in D/FW for about 3 days or so, drive down to SA, spend the night there and drive back to catch my flight.
What do you plan on doing while in Dallas? What is there in SA that you MUST do or see? If your only going to be here 3 days going down there for 1 night and having to drive back for your flight could be a MAJOR PITA!!! If you REALLY want to head down to SA or Austin you might check on having your homebound flight depart from either city you will be staying the night in. Most likely the flight will stop over in Dallas before going on its way. AND, most of the time flights out of SA or Austin that connect thru DFW are LOWER in fare. You MIGHT save some money by flying out of there IF you really do want to head that way. I would advice against having a flight out of DFW if your heading up from Austin or SA that day to catch it no matter what. Talk about STRESS!!!

As for packing........ yes, your going to be in a kind of "catch all" trying to figure out what to bring. Pay close attention to weather.com the week before and up to the day you leave. They are pretty accurate and even if it does change it won't be TOO drastic. I'd go w/ a pair of jeans for sure, a coat/jacket that has a zipout liner (in case it does get very cold), a short sleeve shirt and a long sleeve shirt. You can even throw in a pair of shorts just in case. Versatile clothes are the key to this time of year as is layering since it can start out bitter cold in the morning and by lunch your hotter than all get out. OR, it can start out mild and pleasant and an arctic cold front move thru after lunch and temps plunge. Layering is a way of life here during that time of year.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
What do you plan on doing while in Dallas? What is there in SA that you MUST do or see?
I plan to tour Dallas "like a local". I'm debating about whether I should consider relocating to Dallas in the future, so I am going to explore the museums, go to Northpark, Galleria, etc; go to Lakewood, Bishop Arts District, finding restaurants, stuff like that.

As for SA, I gotta go to the Alamo and the Riverwalk! I've never been to SA before, and I always make it a goal to visit a city that I've never been to each year (when I have the money ). I'm taking a week off, so I'm using that time to explore Texas...knocking two birds with one stone to speak.

Quote:
If your only going to be here 3 days going down there for 1 night and having to drive back for your flight could be a MAJOR PITA!!! If you REALLY want to head down to SA or Austin you might check on having your homebound flight depart from either city you will be staying the night in. Most likely the flight will stop over in Dallas before going on its way. AND, most of the time flights out of SA or Austin that connect thru DFW are LOWER in fare. You MIGHT save some money by flying out of there IF you really do want to head that way. I would advice against having a flight out of DFW if your heading up from Austin or SA that day to catch it no matter what.
I live in Atlanta, so I'll have plenty of options regarding nonstop flights. Ever heard of the saying, "whether you're going to heaven or hell, you have to change planes in Atlanta first." , so cost savings by flying directly to SA or Austin would be negligible. Because of the terms of renting my car, I *have* to return it back to DFW (long story).

To clarify, I plan on driving back to Dallas from SA the night before my flight, because I do NOT want the stress of having to get to the airport the very day of my flight! I may just spend another night in DFW and catch my flight the next morning. I'm still mapping out my plans.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 AM

91 posts, read 218,233 times
Quote:
I plan to tour Dallas "like a local". I'm debating about whether I should consider relocating to Dallas in the future, so I am going to explore the museums, go to Northpark, Galleria, etc; go to Lakewood, Bishop Arts District, finding restaurants, stuff like that.
Sounds like an excellent plan, those are great places to check out.

Quote:
As for SA, I gotta go to the Alamo and the Riverwalk!
The riverwalk is very nice.

Quote:
Ever heard of the saying, "whether you're going to heaven or hell, you have to change planes in Atlanta first."
If you move to Dallas, you'll be able to say the same thing here, both DFW and ATL are giant hubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas