Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 AM

64 posts, read 347,398 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My husband was offered a job a few months back contingent upon a 3 month background check(it is a government agency). We have finally gotten the okay but the entire thing is bitter sweet since I was up for a postion as a research assistant here in Chicago. This will ironically be the second RA job that I was offered and had to turn down. I am a stay at home mother and Counseling Psych grad student and I am READY TO WORK. I have no expereince in the field because I have had to stay home with our children due to the high cost of daycare. The arrangement was just great for me the first 3 years or so, but I have now been out of work for 5 years(and I'm only 27), and I am frustrated that have been unable to put my education to work.
I have looked and looked and there seems to be MARKED lack of psychology jobs, research or other wise in Dallas. This move is great for my husband's carrer in IT, but I feel like for me it is professional suicide. Here in Chicago I had a chance, but in Texas I don;t know.

What can I do? I really want to work part-time, preferebly in research but there seems to be nothing available. Am I looking in the wrong places? Does a psych degree ONLY qualify one to become a case worker in Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,210 times
You are thinking about this the wrong way. Dallas is waay nicer than Chicago. No more cold windy weather! Extremely low cost of living, etc. You will find a job you just have to keep looking.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 AM

6,796 posts, read 14,016,278 times
I agree with the above poster. First you get to live in a city that cost of living is much cheaper than Chicago and you want have those brutal winters to deal with (summers here are brutal). Arlington is halfway between Dallas and Ft. Worth so have a huge area within driving distance for new job. DFW may not be as cosmopolitian as Chicago but were not that far behind.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:04 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about leaving Chicago for more reasons than I can count. We visited there last summer and my husband immediately started looking for a job there. We have three children and our children will be able to play outside and attend schools that are much better than the one's here. Also, more sunny days will be more than welcomed by all of us.

But when I type in "psychology" or "research" on a site like indeed.com it is a virtual wasteland. I love Dallas, but I just don't know where to look for a job that will allow me fulfill my career objectives.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
there are several teaching hospitals in this area
would that be a place to start looking---
check out all the universities in this area
UT Southwestern Med Center is probably best known but there are other colleges
Clinical Psychology Graduate Program

this is best job I found but it is in Plano--you and your husband would have to compromise on where you live because it and Arlington are not close
Mental Health Case Worker I - Plano, TX Job in Plano 75023, Texas US (http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx?JobID=78912621&JobTitle=Mental+Health+ Case+Worker+I+-+Plano%2c+TX&q=mental+health+worker&cy=us&where=da llas%2c+tx&rad=20&rad_units=miles&re=95&pg=1&dv=1& AVSDM=2009-01-26+12%3a36%3a00&seq=1&fseo=1&isjs=1&re=1000 - broken link)

I know this is not what you are probably talking about but what about something like this which is part time to get work
Cognitive Skills Trainer Job in Dallas 75230, Texas US (http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx?JobID=78498127&JobTitle=Cognitive+Skil ls+Trainer&brd=1&q=psychology&cy=us&where=dallas%2 c+tx&re=130&AVSDM=2009-01-08+16%3a02%3a00&pg=1&seq=21&fseo=1&isjs=1&re=1000 - broken link)

or this
FFT Therapist Job in Dallas 75201, Texas US (http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx?JobID=78588360&JobTitle=FFT+Therapist& q=clinical+psychology&cy=us&where=dallas%2c+tx&rad =20&rad_units=miles&re=95&pg=1&dv=1&pp=25&AVSDM=20 09-01-20+17%3a36%3a00&seq=10&fseo=1&isjs=1&re=1000 - broken link)

or this
Social Worker Counselor Job in Dallas 75219, Texas US (http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx?JobID=78880767&JobTitle=Social+Worker+ Counselor&brd=1&q=counselor&cy=us&where=dallas%2c+ tx&re=130&AVSDM=2009-01-23+18%3a47%3a00&pg=1&seq=2&fseo=1&isjs=1&re=1000 - broken link)

Old 01-26-2009, 03:16 PM

308 posts, read 1,231,952 times
Well, on average, 90% of all jobs are unadvertised, so maybe there are some jobs available. Once you get down here, start hitting the pavement and go door to door until you find something.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 PM

Thanks everyone.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:59 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,862,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
You are thinking about this the wrong way. Dallas is waay nicer than Chicago. No more cold windy weather! Extremely low cost of living, etc. You will find a job you just have to keep looking.
Not to mention hardly any gestapo like laws. Doesn't Chicago have a total gun ban? No wonder crime is out of control over there.

Out here in Dallas, we just shoot any robbers.

Just move to dallas 10x better.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:55 PM

67 posts, read 294,705 times
My first undergraduate degree is in social work. I started out in psychology but quickly learned that it is not a very marketable degree....at least not in E. Texas. I can't speak from personal experience in Dallas, but I suspect you will have the most luck in case management areas that do not specifically require a social work degree. I am now back in school pursuing a BSN (nursing). Once you get your graduate degree and counseling certification you should be able to find what you are looking for. There are State of Texas positions in Child Protective Services and Adult Protective Services that will hire you with a psych degree.... but again these are caseworker jobs and probably not part-time. Everyone thinks of investigors when they think of CPS or APS, but there other positions that are more closely related to counseling - but still really case management. Anyway, here are a couple of websites. The MHMR configuration in Texas may be different that what you have in Chicago, so if you have questions you can PM me. I worked in CPS and APS for 8 years and while I wasn't an employee of MHMR, I worked with them alot. If I think of anything else, I will let you know.
MHMR (Mental health mental retardation) www.metrocareservices.org
Texas Department of Family and Protective Services www.dfps.tx.us

Old 01-27-2009, 03:08 PM

67 posts, read 294,705 times
I thought of something else! There is a place called Buckner International. They are a faith based organization dealing with foster care and adoption/maternity. I know they hire counselors for their adoptive families, but not sure what their qualifications are.

www.buckner.org/hr-employment.shtml (http://www.buckner.org/hr-employment.shtml - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas