Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:18 PM

5 posts, read 13,323 times

Advertisements

Due to my job, my family and I will be moving Dallas within a few months and I need some information on the good, safe neighborhoods in the area or as safe as can be considering the size of the city.

We're currently living in a small, very nice, town in another state so we haven't had to give much thought to crime at all this past year, but for Dallas it's weighing on my mind for my family.

We're going to rent a house at first so I don't think we'll have much a problem finding a place. I've seen at lot of great houses for rent online, but because I don't know the neighborhoods it feels pointless to look right now.

If anyone can point me the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I remember reading in an older post here someone recommended Grand Prairie, Cedar Hill, and Mansfield as good, safe neighborhoods. Can anyone confirm?

What about Burleson?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 06:20 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Where is the job?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
yes--that is the prime consideration and your price point and school/ISD consideration--
some of the "safest" neighborhoods like Southlake or Highland Park or Lake Highlands are pretty top-of-the-line expensive
Frankly I would not put Grand Prairie on a list of those "safest" in the metroplex...but I am sure there are areas that have little crime
check out some police maps or crime stat maps on line and see where the safe areas are
you can check MLS sites for DFW area according to map placement--find homes in those areas that seem safest to you...

Old 01-31-2009, 10:30 AM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Need a little more information to give good advice. What part of town will your job be located in. What's the budget for the house. You will need to provide more information to get some good information.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:41 PM

5 posts, read 13,323 times
Thanks for the replies.

My job is located smack dab in the heart of Dallas. I don't mind commuting since that's what I do know, but I currently live in a great neighborhood so I don't mind.

We will be renting because we might not be there for too long so anything around $1,000 to $1,500 monthly.

I'm going to throw some places out there if anyone can give me their opinion:

Plano
Garland
Little Elm
Carrollton
Arlington
ForthWorth
Frisco
Allen
Prosper
Irving
Mesquite
Denton
Rowlett

Is it the same rule as other cities that it's usually best to stay away from anything in the south or southeast parts of town? Like Duncanville, DeSoto and Lancaster?

Old 01-31-2009, 07:00 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Well, the first thing I would do is pop all those cities into mapquest and check the number of miles to your workplace address and then eliminate any city that is 25 or more miles away. I might even make the limit 20 miles. I have a 13 mile commute and some days I have a 60-90 minute commute and other days it's 45 minutes. Off rush hour, it's 30 minutes. I had two 90 minute commutes this past week - both morning commutes down Hwy 75/Central Expressway.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:12 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenlayers View Post
Thanks for the replies.

My job is located smack dab in the heart of Dallas. I don't mind commuting since that's what I do know, but I currently live in a great neighborhood so I don't mind.

We will be renting because we might not be there for too long so anything around $1,000 to $1,500 monthly.

I'm going to throw some places out there if anyone can give me their opinion:

Plano
Garland
Little Elm
Carrollton
Arlington
ForthWorth
Frisco
Allen
Prosper
Irving
Mesquite
Denton
Rowlett

Is it the same rule as other cities that it's usually best to stay away from anything in the south or southeast parts of town? Like Duncanville, DeSoto and Lancaster?

You can remove the followering from your list

Ft. Worth to far
Denton to far
Prosper to expensive

I would take Arlingon and Irving off the list due to distance but
they are both do able. A couple of more questions. What size home do you need, do you have school age childern. How much of a commute are you willing to accept. Your list can be narrowed more with these questions being answered.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:04 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
Quote:
Short answer, No. You can find rental properties within your price range that are located in nice neighborhoods in each of those cities.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:12 AM

709 posts, read 3,472,546 times
Carrollton has a lot of nice rentals in the 1200 to 1500 range(mostly on the 1400 to 1500 range)...all off of Hebron...you will find the neigborhods feed into the following elementary schools so it is a wide area...Indian Creek Elem., Polser Elementary, Homestead Elem., some of this price range feed into Castle Hill's Elem., some of these homes feed into the Coyote Ridge Elementary.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:46 PM

162 posts, read 633,133 times
Quote:

Rowlett
If by "heart of Dallas", you mean downtown Dallas, then Rowlett should be at the top of your list because of its access to DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) locations. It's safe, has decent schools, and is within your rental price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas