Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 04:05 AM

5 posts, read 12,308 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to the D/FW area from Colorado. I will (hopefully) be working at Children's Medical Center in Dallas and am so lost as to where to look for houses! We drove there this week and liked the Mansfield area, Keller, and east side of Benbrook. We didn't have time to look everywhere!!

We have 2 kids and one on the way. A great school district is very important to us. I lived in SA and my husband is from Houston. We like living on the 'outskirts' of town and like an area with growth and newer shopping centers but not overly crowded. (We like to see land, cows, horses occasionally!)

Our price range based on our current Denver salary is up to $250,000. We would like a newer home but are ok with a sturdy good brick home with a little more land.

I am not sure how much my income will go down but I am a emergency room nurse. Antone have comments about pay?

I have considered working at Cook Children's in Ft Worth but their website says they have a waiting list for ER nursees. Any opinions between the two?

We want that small community feel without too far to get to work. (I will work nights so traffic shouldn't be too much of an issue). Want a community with a rec center close by, sports, parks... a good family community!

I would appreciate any advice or opinions!

Jamie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 07:01 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Mansfield wouldn't be a horrible commute, but Benbrook and Keller would have you spending a LOT of time in the car each day. Do some searching here on Mansfield; there are a lot of foreclosures down there...

Cook's has a waiting list because it is a smaller facility and more people want to live in Fort Worth. Children's is a lot bigger.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:37 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
working at children's and living in Tarrant county further than Grapevine would really be a bad drive...
Benbrook is on west side of FTW -- that would be at least 50 min and probably more like 90--

you could try north of Dallas in areas like Highland Village or Double Oak which have areas that are more rural but the drive and the ISDs are not that great...

if you want to live more in the country could you check out hospitals in other outlying towns like Weatherford or Denton which are closer to rural areas but do also have newer construction going on with shopping/entertainment
lots of people have posted about Denton and Aledo--you would have to check the FTW board for Aledo info since it is west side of FTW--living in Benbrook you could work at Granbury, Weatherford, Burleson--they all have hospitals with emergency rooms...don't know about the need for nurses

YOU SHOULD ALSO CHECK POSTS ABOUT A COMPANY IN DALLAS CALLED GROUP ONE THAT IS A CLEARING HOUSE FOR INFORMATION/JOB EVALUATION ON MEDICAL PERSONNEL--APPARENTLY A NEGATIVE RATING FROM GROUP ONE CAN PROHIBIT PEOPLE WHO ARE OTHERWISE QUALIFIED FROM GETTING HIRED IN DALLAS AND OTHER AREAS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas