Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 PM

12 posts, read 22,356 times

Advertisements

Hi, I moved from Miami to Denver 8 years ago and Denver is a great city to raise a family. Unfortunately I suffer from something called "dry eye syndrome" and let me tell you; Colorado weather is dry dry dry, I just can't take it anymore!!. I really need your help trying to decide what part of Dallas or close to Dallas to move to CONSIDERING THE FOLLOWING:

-I don't want to live close to downtown Dallas, 10 to 17 miles from downtown would be great.

-I'm a disk jockey on the weekends: Most latin music (salsa,merengue,reggaeton,cumbia) but I also play HipHop and Electronic, so I need advise on what kind of night clubs there are in Dallas or close to Dallas and how much they pay (I currently make $250/night in Denver).

-During the week my wife and I work in the banking industry; What areas of Dallas or close to Dallas are affluent.

-I have a 4 yr old and would like to know what school districts would be recommended.

-I would need to buy a house down there (budget up to 175k) and would like some advise on good areas to live in (water quality, crime rate, traffic, pollution).

Any help will be greatly apreciated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 10,420 times
I moved to Dallas from Northern Colorado about 6 years ago. I'm not a homeowner, but you won't find a ton thats close to Downtown in an affluent area for $175,000, so its good that you aren't looking there. I would look north of Dallas...Plano, Frisco, Richardson, Addison. Frisco is pushing it a bit on your 10-17 mile restriction. If I'm not mistaken, its farther out and everytime I've driven it, its taken me almost an hour from my place in Knox Henderson. Plano has pretty good schools, especially on the west side, and is one of the most affluent areas in the country as a whole. Richardson is fairly nice and all of Frisco is brand new and both have decent school systems. All have pretty low crime rates. Crime goes up in Dallas proper, and the Dallas ISD schools are generally considered horrendous.

I have no idea about DJ pay or Latin gigs, but the only place you are really going to find a club scene is the downtown/uptown area. There are a few places in Addison as well, but nothing spectacular. Look at Lower Greenville in Dallas and Downtown Dallas for the most clubs...uptown and knox henderson have more of the laid-back pub scene...

Old 02-16-2009, 05:45 PM

Default Thank you

Verry helpfull information. I never though Plano would have so many wealthy people and is also not to far from Dallas. My wife and I are going to take a trip down to Texas next month and visit some areas to the north of Dallas. Hopefully we can decide on what area to live in. Thank you!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 PM

106 posts, read 470,839 times
djlora

Not trying to talk you out of Dallas, because I love it here, and live out in Wylie (area you could consider - Wylie, Murphy, Plano, Richardson, Garland).

But you would find more Latino area's in Houston and the housing market is cheaper there as a whole than Dallas. And expect that more night club's are in that market ... maybe a google search will help?

Just a suggestion to your search. Plus you would find weather more akin to Miami, which may be a bad thing ( don't know if you moved from Miami due to weather). But you will find that Houston is warmer as it is in temperate zone.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
suggest you go where you can find a job in banking--
san antonio/austin, houston, the valley area, corpus all could be possible choices for you in addition to dallas

Old 02-17-2009, 01:23 PM

Default From Denver To Dallas

I moved from Miami because my father lives here in Colorado and this is where I went to college (Miami is wayyy over rated too). Houston was one of our options becuase I have friends there but it's too big and my wife is scared of the huricanes. LOL!!
So, you mean there are no Latin clubs in the Dallas area that are currently playing tropical music???

Old 02-18-2009, 02:20 PM

190 posts, read 430,383 times
ignore that comment. dallas has tons of latino bars and clubs i know a few DJ's at latin bars in east dallas but i'm not sure exactly the type/caliber club or bar you're lookin to work at. i wish i could give you more details but the best i can say is that there are definitely plenty out there and i'm sure a substantially bigger market for it than denver. also, just a heads up, north of dallas is about as far topographically from denver as it gets. basically, the landscape may bore you. i wouldn't rule out looking at some of the areas in far east dallas or other areas not too close to the core of the city. you won't get nearly as much size for the $ but some pretty areas still within your price range

Old 02-18-2009, 02:29 PM

91 posts, read 329,674 times
I second the advice to basically ignore that particular comment - DFW is very full of latino/spanish anything and everything. Plus, there are tons of places here for live music and djing, as well as afordable housing.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Default Any djs out there???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfw View Post
I second the advice to basically ignore that particular comment - DFW is very full of latino/spanish anything and everything. Plus, there are tons of places here for live music and djing, as well as afordable housing.
Thanks for all the advise, good things... Any djs out there who would be willing to hook me up with some clubs? I have 7 years experience in djing. I'm currently The Church night club resident dj for saturdays and I do other small gigs here and there. I'm not too concern about the banking part for now because I can transfer to a branch in Texas with my current employer with no problems, but before I do that I want to secure the extra income from my gigs.

Thank you guys!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:28 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasder View Post
djlora

Not trying to talk you out of Dallas, because I love it here, and live out in Wylie (area you could consider - Wylie, Murphy, Plano, Richardson, Garland).

But you would find more Latino area's in Houston and the housing market is cheaper there as a whole than Dallas. And expect that more night club's are in that market ... maybe a google search will help?

Just a suggestion to your search. Plus you would find weather more akin to Miami, which may be a bad thing ( don't know if you moved from Miami due to weather). But you will find that Houston is warmer as it is in temperate zone.
According to Sperling's, the Hispanic population in Dallas is 42.06% and in Houston, 41.78%. Of course, Houston has more people, hence more Hispanics by head count. Now San Antonio has 61.69% Hispanics with a population about the same as Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas