Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,926 times

Advertisements

I moved in Aug 08 after living for eight years in CA and before that i lived in New York, Boston area.

Its been more then 6 months but seems like people are just not interested in smiling or talking or knowing more about me. Not talking about complete strangers but like people from work, my daughters school etc. Even if i deliberately give complements i get a fake smile and thats it.

Is it me or the place or should i pretend to live like i am in New York city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
The friendliest areas are the ones with the most native Texans. We are so friendly around here that some people get annoyed.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Native Texans in the actual city of Dallas are very professional and friendly; however, I've noticed Plano are less friendly and people are prejudice and judgmental there. You have to consider that most people are under the influence of a strict Church of Christ Church or under the influence of severe debt problems.

You might be dealing with prejudice people especially if you are not Christian etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The friendliest areas are the ones with the most native Texans. We are so friendly around here that some people get annoyed.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:13 PM

130 posts, read 348,163 times
I cannot imagine that you are dealing with native-born Texans. They must be transplants. The people from Texas are some of the friendliest people I've ever met.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:59 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
vinner - it helps to know what areas you are in.

The areas I hang out in are not this way - East Dallas, Lakewood, Oak Cliff. I even chatted up the folks at my dentist today in North Dallas...but I'm chatty.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
vinner - it helps to know what areas you are in.

The areas I hang out in are not this way - East Dallas, Lakewood, Oak Cliff. I even chatted up the folks at my dentist today in North Dallas...but I'm chatty.

He said Plano which means many of the folks he is encountering are transplants like him/her. Not saying anything is wrong with being a transplant and not saying they are not friendly. Just pointing out the fact that the northern burbs are not born and breed Texan hotspots.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,236 times
yo, why all all the hate for plano?? I'm here, and while I'm a native texan I live in a neighborhood that is quite diverse (not churchy at all, btw) - we have Romanians, Algerians, Indians (dot), dutch, British....and all to a person are very friendly. Well, there is this one guy who only smiles on the walk to school - he is introverted - but he does smile, and after a couple of years he gives a whispered hello sometimes - but I digress. You must be joking about the churchiness of Plano - I lived in East Texas for years, and compared to THAT this is heaven (ok, not to the churchy folk, maybe - we do sell the demon drink here)...

anyway, to the OP keep trying - you must be surrounded by yankees!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
The immigrants are the least friendly in my experience.

I guess Plano isn't too bad in regards to religion, but there are cities in North Texas that have cult like churches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
yo, why all all the hate for plano?? I'm here, and while I'm a native texan I live in a neighborhood that is quite diverse (not churchy at all, btw) - we have Romanians, Algerians, Indians (dot), dutch, British....and all to a person are very friendly. Well, there is this one guy who only smiles on the walk to school - he is introverted - but he does smile, and after a couple of years he gives a whispered hello sometimes - but I digress. You must be joking about the churchiness of Plano - I lived in East Texas for years, and compared to THAT this is heaven (ok, not to the churchy folk, maybe - we do sell the demon drink here)...

anyway, to the OP keep trying - you must be surrounded by yankees!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:06 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinner View Post
I moved in Aug 08 after living for eight years in CA and before that i lived in New York, Boston area.

Its been more then 6 months but seems like people are just not interested in smiling or talking or knowing more about me. Not talking about complete strangers but like people from work, my daughters school etc. Even if i deliberately give complements i get a fake smile and thats it.

Is it me or the place or should i pretend to live like i am in New York city.
I live in Plano and I'm unfriendly. I don't want to talk to you. I think that's just because the stony Bostonian way has rooted deeply in me. I'll bet with all the imports around here like me, it's sorta just like NYC - of course only less so!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I've noticed Plano are less friendly and people are prejudice and judgmental there. You have to consider that most people are under the influence of a strict Church of Christ Church or under the influence of severe debt problems.

You might be dealing with prejudice people especially if you are not Christian etc.
I'm in Plano and I don't believe in Christ one bit more than I believe in Santa Claus.

Maybe no one wants to talk because their all afraid if they open their mouths for a second, the one they start talking to will want to start talking about Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas