Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,824 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are seriously considering a move to the above areas. However, after reading numerous posts on city data and various online forums, we are starting to think these areas might be very religious - i.e. 80% of the community goes to church on Sundays. We are not Atheists, but are not interested in living in a community that is centered around religion either.

Any insight on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:30 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,376,558 times
Well, I wouldn't say 80%, but we are in the Bible Belt. And I wouldn't say the community is centered around religion because those who do go to church go to different churches. It's not like in small town Texas where you either go to the Baptist church or the Methodist church or you drive into the bigger small town to the Catholic church. Heck, the Catholics on my street don't even attend the same Catholic church and Catholic churches aren't exactly on every corner.

It's not that big a deal if you are not religious. We aren't. Now, the kid next door is not allowed to play with my kid because we aren't church-goers, but oh well. They are 3x a week church-goers and the kids are only allowed to play with same, more power to them.

Another family down the street is always recruiting. They are Baptists. Super nice people though.

At work, my nearest co-worker is ultra-religious and we butt heads sometimes. Other co-workers are church-goers but don't make a spectacle of it.

There are plenty of folks who aren't particularly religious who do choose to attend church, however, because it's a great way to meet people and to help people. Many of the better daycares and preschools and summer daycare programs are housed in churches. You don't have to be members to utilize them.

The overall general feel of Texas is conservative Republican - I mean if you had to generalize it, that's the way I would do it - and that usually means religious. I didn't really realize that until I lived for a bit in Southern California and then returned.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM

869 posts, read 2,943,687 times
In Frisco and Plano, if you don't go to church on Sunday, they will flog you!!!

If you cheat on your husband or wife, they make you wear a scarlet letter...

Is the sarcasm thick enough yet???

Old 03-02-2009, 07:21 AM

563 posts, read 3,732,968 times
There is a huge Jewish and South Asian population in Plano (at least that I know of) and I can't imagine that everyone there is an intolerant Orthodox christian.
I'm sure that you will find your bible thumpers as you will anywhere in the country but DFW in general is a very diverse area.
We don't go to church and have never felt uncomfortable by people who do. If no one is trying to 'save your soul' ultra aggresively I don't see why the situation would be irritating enough to make you not want to buy in the area? Just like you want people to respect your right to not go to church/Synagogue/Mosque would it not be the right thing to respect their right to do so??

Old 03-02-2009, 07:35 AM

438 posts, read 1,776,810 times
Texas is big into The Jesus. No getting around that.

I was recently at the King Tut exhibit at the DMA and a mouth-breather in front of me was shaking her head at some statuettes of Egyptian gods. "It sure is sad that Tut didn't know about the Lord Jesus".

Yes, ma'am, there's definitely some sadness in this immediate area.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 AM

438 posts, read 1,776,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
There is a huge Jewish and South Asian population in Plano
And a big mosque in Richardson.

Quote:
(at least that I know of) and I can't imagine that everyone there is an intolerant Orthodox christian.
"Orthodox" has a specific meaning in Christianity, and I don't think it's the one you mean. I suspect you were hunting for "fundamentalist" or "evangelical".

BTW, there are several Orthodox churches in Dallas. One of them has a big, yummy food fair each year. I recommend it.

Quote:
If no one is trying to 'save your soul' ultra aggresively I don't see why the situation would be irritating enough to make you not want to buy in the area?
That's exactly the rub, although I don't agree that prosyletizing has to be ultra aggressive to be egregious.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:56 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,435,769 times
They are as religous as you want them to be. No one forces anyone to go to church. People don't usually talk about religion in public. I have lived in New Jersey, Chicago, Florida, and Puert Rico and I havent noticed Plano being any more religous than any where else. Some people go to church and some don't.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:04 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,571,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donocdn View Post
My wife and I are seriously considering a move to the above areas. However, after reading numerous posts on city data and various online forums, we are starting to think these areas might be very religious - i.e. 80% of the community goes to church on Sundays. We are not Atheists, but are not interested in living in a community that is centered around religion either.

Any insight on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Don't move here - you will never be happy. Seriously, don't move here.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:27 AM

72 posts, read 308,206 times
Default Haven't noticed it yet...

From one newcomer...

I've been in the area for about six months now and haven't noticed any overt religious gestures from our neighbors and coworkers. We've lived all over the country -- from east coast to west coast -- and don't feel that this area of the country is any more religious than most others. Yes, I've heard the occasional religious reference -- and I've seen a couple of pretty large churches (and random "come visit us" church signs) while exploring the region -- but I've never been "invited" to attend any meeting.

In my opinion, the churches here are there if you want them...but there's no pressure to go.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 PM

563 posts, read 3,732,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
And a big mosque in Richardson.

"Orthodox" has a specific meaning in Christianity, and I don't think it's the one you mean. I suspect you were hunting for "fundamentalist" or "evangelical".

BTW, there are several Orthodox churches in Dallas. One of them has a big, yummy food fair each year. I recommend it.

That's exactly the rub, although I don't agree that prosyletizing has to be ultra aggressive to be egregious.
Thanks - yes I did mean fundamentalist and not orthodox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas