Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

California family considering move to Texas, seeking opinions from California transplants who moved to Texas, pros and cons of moving teenage kids, pros and cons of moving from California to Texas

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:08 PM

170 posts, read 847,140 times

Advertisements

You might be confusing California with Los Angeles. LA air is very polluted. As are surrounding areas such as Bakersfield and up towards Fresno and Sacramento.

Other than that, Houston and Dallas are both much more polluted than say San Fransisco or San Diego. In fact, the above mentioned California cities are the top 3 or 4 most polluted metro areas in the US.

Next on the list of most polluted is Houston followed by the D/FW metroplex. In other words, the 2 Texas cities are the most polluted in the country outside those California metro areas.

San Diego, SF, and other parts of Cali are not even on the most polluted list.

As for the trees; Dallas does not have any significant naturally grown trees as they do on the West Coast. We only have a few natural forests around the metroplex such as in Cedar Creek and along certain parts of the Trinity...but they pale in comparison to the Redwoods and Pine trees of California, Oregon, and Washington.

Other that those few places around here with natural trees, the rest of our "green" is planted. Those trees we see around the suburbs are for the most part planted, not natural. And they are small sized trees. And if you think a tree is large just because it goes over your house than you need to see some forests around not only the US but the world for an idea of what large trees really are.

Truth is we don't really have much flora here in North Texas. In Spring many flowers blossom in certain parts, but they are limited and only last for a couple of months. Our air for the most part is dry, and we experience large periods of time with no rain. The result is not only dry lakes. It also means less green vegetation and more polluted air.

That is a simple characteristic of where we live. If we had more moisture in the air then we would have more abundant trees that grew high into the sky and less pollution. But then some around here would complain about the constant cloudiness.

Everything is always a trade-off. We can't fool ourselves into thinking that despite our hot, dry weather we also have green scenery. That is a contradiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 12:12 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,066 times
Texas is not for everyone. I agree with previous posters that if you LOVE the way California is now, then you probably won't like it. I was born and lived all my life in Northern California.

I lived in the valley, so we didn't have any large body of water near by, nor mountains at my doorstep. We had to drive to both if we wanted to go. We were in an area that started to get very popular over the last five years and changed from a small town to a very fast and crowded. For us, not only did we need to be centrally located in the country due to work, but we wanted that slower way of life.

For us the educational opportunities for our daughter were better as well.

It sounds like you are doing everything you should do for your kids and I can definately appreciate your thoughts and caring what they feel. Obviously you see what the trade offs would be and have to weigh them. I would definately come here on vacation. I researched for a year before moving out.

I can honestly tell you that I am VERY happy that we moved and I will be even more happy when our house is built. One of those trade offs for us, is that for 2/3s of our last home price, we are able to build our dream home.

Edit:

Most of the trees in Sacramento were planted as well

Old 03-21-2007, 02:54 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post
You might be confusing California with Los Angeles. LA air is very polluted. As are surrounding areas such as Bakersfield and up towards Fresno and Sacramento.

Other than that, Houston and Dallas are both much more polluted than say San Fransisco or San Diego. In fact, the above mentioned California cities are the top 3 or 4 most polluted metro areas in the US.

Next on the list of most polluted is Houston followed by the D/FW metroplex. In other words, the 2 Texas cities are the most polluted in the country outside those California metro areas.

San Diego, SF, and other parts of Cali are not even on the most polluted list.

As for the trees; Dallas does not have any significant naturally grown trees as they do on the West Coast. We only have a few natural forests around the metroplex such as in Cedar Creek and along certain parts of the Trinity...but they pale in comparison to the Redwoods and Pine trees of California, Oregon, and Washington.

Other that those few places around here with natural trees, the rest of our "green" is planted. Those trees we see around the suburbs are for the most part planted, not natural. And they are small sized trees. And if you think a tree is large just because it goes over your house than you need to see some forests around not only the US but the world for an idea of what large trees really are.

Truth is we don't really have much flora here in North Texas. In Spring many flowers blossom in certain parts, but they are limited and only last for a couple of months. Our air for the most part is dry, and we experience large periods of time with no rain. The result is not only dry lakes. It also means less green vegetation and more polluted air.

That is a simple characteristic of where we live. If we had more moisture in the air then we would have more abundant trees that grew high into the sky and less pollution. But then some around here would complain about the constant cloudiness.

Everything is always a trade-off. We can't fool ourselves into thinking that despite our hot, dry weather we also have green scenery. That is a contradiction.
Embracer, I have lived all over SoCali, I grew up here, I do not think I am confused! We live 75 miles NE of LA and guess what... our air is HORRID and
our water is worse! Most of Cali is NOT coastline and the pollution gets stuck in the basins. Do you know how for Sacramento is from LA(400 miles)? Though it is very smoggy it is hardy a surrounding area! Bakersfield, is 100 miles away and creates its own pollution, thank you!
There is no vegetation where I live save the few Joshua trees and the poppies once a year for a month.
You are confusing California with the beach and it ain't all that! Just trying to keep it real. Fact is LA is a cancer that has invaded most of SoCali, with the illegals decaying SD, and high crime, who would want to live here? I don't get it.
You need to compare metro areas with metro areas. Keep in mid most Californians cannot afford to live in SD, or SF.
Out of a possible 100 SD air quality is rated a 1.
Water quality is a 74 (pretty good by Cali standards).
On a scale of 1-10 crime is a 6.
Cost of living is 152.10. where average for US is 100.
The median home value in San Diego is $500,000
That is SD.
Dallas air is a 1 as well.
Water is 87.
Crime 7.
Cost of living 83.80.
The median home value in Dallas is just over 120,000.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Thing is there is no utopia. Cali is not some sort of paradise, even for the rich.

Most people who works SD do not live in SD as I am sure most people who work in the DFW metroplex do not live there.
Population density is another thing to consider, if you love having neighbors within spitting distance, Cali is the right choice...
It is all about what is important to you personally.
And if Cali rocks your boat, move there, as for me... well, I am outta here!
MBG

MBG

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 07:00 AM..

Old 03-21-2007, 03:23 PM

985 posts, read 5,758,218 times
I lived in Dallas for four years (and left two years ago). From what I observe, young professionals (late 20's, early 30's) from California didn't like Dallas very much. Most of my California friends left after one or two years. But if people who came from California look for more suburb environment (good schools and cheaper housing option), they liked Dallas just fine. It is all depends on individual situation.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:41 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,066 times
Just FYI, yah Sacramento is 6 1/2 hours drive (okay...so that is driving fast), and yes smog can occassional get stuck in the valley, they would get delta breezes that would blow it out).

While Dallas is certainly not like Austin with its rolling hills and tons of trees, it does have areas that are really pretty and treed like Southlake, Grapevine, Keller, Flower Mound. In a lot of places it is prettier than parts of Northern California.

I think it is a lot about particular life situation and expectations on if you will like the area.

California, particularly LA and SF have a "if its happening we are doing it first and better" mentality to an extent. A lot of people really find that fun and fascinating. And in Texas its more, "yah..we have our own way and we don't care if you don't like it" attitude.

All in all...I really love it here.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:00 PM

20 posts, read 113,367 times
Default let me clarify a little before I am voted worst parent of the year!

Thanks thanks thanks everyone everyone everyone for your honesty!

Here is the deal. We DON'T like it in California. The cost of living is high...I am self employed and my main vendor said i would have no prob getting work in Texas...my husband is a public school teacher. He has had it up to his eyeballs with the high schoolers here...they are different than when we grew up. Disrespectful, the immigration problem in Cali is getting worse esp where we are. The minorities here are militant (sorry if offend, but just speaking from my life here in So Cal). Everyone is a racist if you are not their color...so there is no civility anymore in So Cal. My husband has to deal with so many behavior problems...students from broken homes, students who are being raised by a mother and a grandmother and have no positive male role model...so where WE ARE it is just not the idyllic California life. We live south and east of LA. Near San Diego (about 40 miles north). It is nice here, yes that is for sure.

I do agree with whoever wrote and said we need to do everything for our kids...yes. Amen to that. My husband HATES going to work everyday...his parents are relocating to Texas (my kids' only grandparents). His sister and her family are moving to Texas as well (again, more cousins moving away)....so there ARE reasons TO move to Texas.

I am going in with eyes WIDE open. We are not beach people, really. We don't go snowboarding to the moutains, either. Maybe flat plains where we can serve big bugs as a main dish at dinner might be good for us, who knows?

My two oldest boys are NOT doing well in school. Of course I wouldn't move to punish them...and I liked whoever's idea it was that said to make it an adventure, to be positive no matter what (I am that way), and they really are attached to their grandparents and cousins, so there is definitely a trade off.

The schools here are "good" on paper, but the kids are all snots...materialistic, have to have the latest IPOD, the latest XBOX's, the new car...etc...and I am smart enough to know that is going to be everywhere.

We want a SLOWER pace to life...a smaller town....horses...we have the big house, we have the Mercedes...we don't like that...(okay I don't)...and my husband is really wanting to move...he talks about getting away from it all and finding a small town somewhere and he has talked this way for about 5 years. If we sell our house now, we can get a lot of money out of it. Maybe rent something in Longview (that is where I am leaning since it will be close to where his folks are moving), and see how it goes. If we hate it, we can move back. That is just how I am.

But I really appreciate any more comments or thoughts you have. And for those of you who are not from California, or have left, it is changing. FAST. In my upper middle class neighborhood we are seeing an influx of multi families moving into large houses, and I am in the real estate business and know this is happening all over southern California. What happens is two or three families sign on a loan for a single family house and then both families move in. It hasn't turned into a ghetto yet, but I am trying to be smart with my real estate profits as well.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:06 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
Well since you put it that way Calimom5, Texas might be the perfect fit.
By your first post, it was a bit confusing, it sounded like it was perfect where you were at.
This post makes sense now to why you want to move.
But you did want to know what other Californians thought of Texas after living here.
I say come and visit and check it out for yourself. What areas are you looking at?

Last edited by Roma; 03-21-2007 at 04:16 PM..

Old 03-21-2007, 04:21 PM

12 posts, read 55,915 times
Embraer I cannot agree with you more. I live in SF and been to LA a few times. That's a big difference between them in terms of air pollution, traffic, etc. Housing prices are both high in SF and LA but I don't understand what would drive LA's housing price so high that is is comparable to SF's beside incorrect market dynamic. I didn't feel the good of SF very much but after I travel to other places, I started to understand why one of my friends said SF is the most favorable city in US.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:58 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimom5 View Post
My husband is a public school teacher. He has had it up to his eyeballs with the high schoolers here...they are different than when we grew up. Disrespectful, the immigration problem in Cali is getting worse esp where we are. My husband has to deal with so many behavior problems...students from broken homes, students who are being raised by a mother and a grandmother and have no positive male role model.

The schools here are "good" on paper, but the kids are all snots...materialistic, have to have the latest IPOD, the latest XBOX's, the new car...etc...and I am smart enough to know that is going to be everywhere.

We want a SLOWER pace to life...a smaller town....horses...we have the big house, we have the Mercedes...we don't like that...(okay I don't)...and my husband is really wanting to move...he talks about getting away from it all and finding a small town somewhere and he has talked this way for about 5 years. If we sell our house now, we can get a lot of money out of it. Maybe rent something in Longview (that is where I am leaning since it will be close to where his folks are moving), and see how it goes. If we hate it, we can move back. That is just how I am.
I am from Burbank but have lived in Texas for 28 years now and lived in CA for 28 years also. I know CA has changed and it's not a place I would like to live now. For it's natural beauty and wonderful weather, I wish I had never left, but for what is going on, no thanks!

I work in the public school system in Texas at the middle school level in a small town area with a population about 8,000. Please know that kids here are just as you describe in your post. Even if they're on free lunches, they're still materialistic and one wonders how in the world they can afford all the technology they carry around as well as some of the clothing they wear.

I cannot even describe how blatantly disrespectful they are to adults. It is absolutely disgusting, and it isn't getting any better. Not all of them are that way, of course, but I would say the majority are. Some of them are already parents and trust me, that is very scary. One became a parent at the ripe old age of 13 with twins!!! Many of them are half siblings because their fathers decided to "play the field" to put it mildly. For all I know, the siblings could be cousins as well. As I said, it's only getting worse.

I could write a book on "A Day Spent At ~~~~ Middle School." I keep trying to talk my sister into spending a day with me to see our future generation in action. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you hear the same thing every night from your husband.

Don't let anyone fool you on the southern, "Yes, ma'm" ~ "Yes, sir" baloney. That's one of the biggest jokes yet. My children were 2 and 5 when we moved here, and I never made them say that. First of all, right after I moved here and heard parents reprimand children by shaking fingers in the faces of little ones or "busting their butts" (I'm quoting; I hate that terminology) and screaming, "You better say yes sir to me", only the ignornant would buy into it being polite. Secondly, I don't relate it to respect after hearing all the garbage that comes out of the mouths of the children. These two words are ingrained in their minds and mean nothing. I wish adjectives and adverbs were so ingrained.

It's amazing that my children were always polite and respectful to their teachers and never used the southern term of "respect." Of course, things are even worse now than when they graduated from high school in 1991 and 1994.

Our middle school is rated "Recognized" by the state, so I know what you mean about making it look good on paper. The ratings Texas uses are:

Exemplary
Recognized
Academically Acceptable
Academically Unacceptable

I don't know anything about Longview schools, but one thing I'm sure is that you'll find country life. That is the best thing about living here if you are able to put up with the horrible heat and humidity for 6 months out of the year, the threats of severe weather, and a place that may not be as pretty as you'd like it to be. You'll hear differently from others and I'm only stating my opinion. Actually it's a fact from my point of view.

Immigration problems are rampant in Texas. I don't know if this state has caught up to California yet, but it will in due course.

I wish you only the best and should you move here and not like it, at least you're in a position to return. I waited way too long to do that as I couldn't afford it now but even if I could, I wouldn't go back. It was once a lovely place, and I will treasure the memories of the Southern CA I once knew.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:48 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
the grass is ALWAYS greener. just remember that when you move anywhere! Problems are everywhere! AND NO place is UTOPIA.

What we as parents have to do is raise our children to be the best adults possible. I stopped working to stay home with my kids. yes, I drive a van with a dented side and 100k + miles on it. But I am here for my kids. now that they are older I AM HERE to keep an eye on my kids! most of my friends went back to work full time after the kids reached 13...To me That is WHEN I NEED to be home with them!!! or know exactly where they are!! The materialisticness is EVERYWHERE not just LA, Dallas NYor DC. It's in small town PA as well. Just like drugs are EVERYWHERE in every Middle school and High school. What I see isthat Parents just give the kids what they ask for....I want it cause suzi has it! Does a 9 year old need a cell phone?? a 12 year old?? no! Ipod NO. wants vs needs. My kids must save their money for the WANTS. We downsized even Christmas... we decided to go on family trips instead. This year we took them to the virgin islands for a week. So much better than an ipod!

OK enough of my soap box!

This:
Quote:
What happens is two or three families sign on a loan for a single family house and then both families move in.
Is very true in NOVA as well. extended families all living under one roof. whether it's latio's , middle eastren or Indian. I was amazed when house hunting just how much of it is here. JOBS + high cost of living!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas