Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

California family considering move to Texas, seeking opinions from California transplants who moved to Texas, pros and cons of moving teenage kids, pros and cons of moving from California to Texas

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:30 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,430,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
To tell you the truth, just about every young women I run into and a occasional man in Texas that I tell them I am from California (even our vet) will say why the heck did you move to Texas? You guys in California have such great weather, it's beautiful, lots of stuff to do, I wish I could move to California, I would love to live on the beach.......on and on and on.
Sure there are people that like Texas but as a neighbor builder here told us after we told him we were moving back to Calif he said "Ya, I run into alot of Calif's that don't like it here and want to move back".

I've heard this alot as well. I think the men say it less because they are very proud, but the women come right out and ask if I'm crazy. When we were out here interviewing the first time and looking at new construction just about every female realtor/sales rep said this exact thing...

California is symbolic of optimism and the american dream. A less stressful life with moderate weather and an easy going lifestyle.

Unfortunately, many of those things other than the weather have become nothing more than stereotypes.

It's just real hard for alot of people to be optimistic with a $3500 mortgage and a 75k job. Or maybe you downsize to save money and move your 5 person family into a 1970s 1400 sq/ft rambler, now your payment is down to $2500 per month. It takes its toll, hence why people there now dream of making more money and paying less for housing. They feel that their lifestyle will change dramatically. Then, once they come here and realize that the weather, topography and intrinsic optimism is gone, they revery back - then forth - then back.

That's why alot of thought needs to be put into relocating anywhere because you come to expect what your usd to and more - not tradeoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post
You might be confusing California with Los Angeles. LA air is very polluted. As are surrounding areas such as Bakersfield and up towards Fresno and Sacramento.
To be honest, the pollution problem in Los Angeles has gotten much better over the past 10 years with the enforcement of much stricter environmental standards.

Not that the Gov't there does everything right, but they are flat out radical when it comes to protecting the environment.

I think in this way CA serves as a model to the rest of the US.

I sure do like how much better my car runs here though....the gas in CA sucks!

Old 03-22-2007, 10:12 AM

46 posts, read 438,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd323 View Post
Where do people come up with this stuff?
ROFL Funny how many California to Texas threads there are....I wonder if there are any other such threads with different locations that are just as prevalent...e.g., New York to California, or Detroit to Clevlend...

Old 03-22-2007, 03:28 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I've heard this alot as well. I think the men say it less because they are very proud, but the women come right out and ask if I'm crazy. When we were out here interviewing the first time and looking at new construction just about every female realtor/sales rep said this exact thing...

California is symbolic of optimism and the american dream. A less stressful life with moderate weather and an easy going lifestyle.

Unfortunately, many of those things other than the weather have become nothing more than stereotypes.

It's just real hard for alot of people to be optimistic with a $3500 mortgage and a 75k job. Or maybe you downsize to save money and move your 5 person family into a 1970s 1400 sq/ft rambler, now your payment is down to $2500 per month. It takes its toll, hence why people there now dream of making more money and paying less for housing. They feel that their lifestyle will change dramatically. Then, once they come here and realize that the weather, topography and intrinsic optimism is gone, they revery back - then forth - then back.

That's why alot of thought needs to be put into relocating anywhere because you come to expect what your usd to and more - not tradeoffs.
Very well put Socketz!!!
MBG

Old 03-22-2007, 03:34 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimom5 View Post
Thanks thanks thanks everyone everyone everyone for your honesty!

Here is the deal. We DON'T like it in California. The cost of living is high...I am self employed and my main vendor said i would have no prob getting work in Texas...my husband is a public school teacher. He has had it up to his eyeballs with the high schoolers here...they are different than when we grew up. Disrespectful, the immigration problem in Cali is getting worse esp where we are. The minorities here are militant (sorry if offend, but just speaking from my life here in So Cal). Everyone is a racist if you are not their color...so there is no civility anymore in So Cal. My husband has to deal with so many behavior problems...students from broken homes, students who are being raised by a mother and a grandmother and have no positive male role model...so where WE ARE it is just not the idyllic California life. We live south and east of LA. Near San Diego (about 40 miles north). It is nice here, yes that is for sure.

I do agree with whoever wrote and said we need to do everything for our kids...yes. Amen to that. My husband HATES going to work everyday...his parents are relocating to Texas (my kids' only grandparents). His sister and her family are moving to Texas as well (again, more cousins moving away)....so there ARE reasons TO move to Texas.

I am going in with eyes WIDE open. We are not beach people, really. We don't go snowboarding to the moutains, either. Maybe flat plains where we can serve big bugs as a main dish at dinner might be good for us, who knows?

My two oldest boys are NOT doing well in school. Of course I wouldn't move to punish them...and I liked whoever's idea it was that said to make it an adventure, to be positive no matter what (I am that way), and they really are attached to their grandparents and cousins, so there is definitely a trade off.

The schools here are "good" on paper, but the kids are all snots...materialistic, have to have the latest IPOD, the latest XBOX's, the new car...etc...and I am smart enough to know that is going to be everywhere.

We want a SLOWER pace to life...a smaller town....horses...we have the big house, we have the Mercedes...we don't like that...(okay I don't)...and my husband is really wanting to move...he talks about getting away from it all and finding a small town somewhere and he has talked this way for about 5 years. If we sell our house now, we can get a lot of money out of it. Maybe rent something in Longview (that is where I am leaning since it will be close to where his folks are moving), and see how it goes. If we hate it, we can move back. That is just how I am.

But I really appreciate any more comments or thoughts you have. And for those of you who are not from California, or have left, it is changing. FAST. In my upper middle class neighborhood we are seeing an influx of multi families moving into large houses, and I am in the real estate business and know this is happening all over southern California. What happens is two or three families sign on a loan for a single family house and then both families move in. It hasn't turned into a ghetto yet, but I am trying to be smart with my real estate profits as well.

Calimom, I used to teach, I completely get where your hubby is coming from. I can tell you no matter what they would pay me, I would never teach in a socali school again.
Maybe a change of local is what your kids need. I home school our son because the schools here are so awful!
And about the multi-family bit, our neighborhood is going that way to. Frustrating when I go to the grocery and all the people in front of me in line are all using EBT cards, yet they drive fancy cars and live in the same neighborhood I do! Just wrong!!
I am hoping for what you are, knowing full well there is no utopia, but praying for a better, not perfect life!
MBG

Old 03-22-2007, 08:21 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post

A less stressful life with moderate weather and an easy going lifestyle.
Less stressful in Cali? Thats one of the reasons I want to leave. Because of the traffic, crime, rude people and high cost of living. Like you said, mortgage like $3k/mo. Even on a $75k salary thats not that great of a house. I make $12/hr and to find studio in a bad area or a crappy one bedroom in the same area would easily take TWO paychecks, left with $800 to still pay car insurance, utilities, food, gas etc.

I was hoping to move to Texas for the less stressful life with moderate weather and easy going lifestyle. I think I am ready to accept the no trade off policy, but wouldnt know what Id miss until its gone. I shop online, dont do beaches, hollywood lifestyle or typical cali things. I just want cheap rent, nicer people, less people, less traffic, a job and a college I can attend.
Oh and a gun for protection

Old 03-22-2007, 09:45 PM

Not sure the North Dallas area offers the stress free lifestyle you speak of ....I see this more as a big city like an Orange County than I do a small town. However, TX is a huge state, so I'm sure you can find that type of lifestyle somewhere in the state. Since your husband is a teacher, he's not limited to living near a major metropolitan area.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:17 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd323 View Post
Where do people come up with this stuff?
I was just going to say that!! lol ...I have a total of 5 huge trees on my lot here in Texas.....in Cali I had a palm tree.....lol

Old 03-24-2007, 07:14 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
I was just going to say that!! lol ...I have a total of 5 huge trees on my lot here in Texas.....in Cali I had a palm tree.....lol
At every place I lived in CA, I had many trees in my yards. As with the two homes I've had in Texas, I had to plant most of the trees I now enjoy. I must say though where I am now, there is one of the lovliest Live Oaks that is probably hundreds of years old. I love that tree, and I'm glad it was already on my property.

I believe the poster is correct. Most of the trees here were planted. Out in the country, not neighborhoods or urban developments, there really aren't many trees like the ones to which he or she is referring that one will see in many parts of CA.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:22 AM

Its not just the trees in CA. To be honest, I would not throw CA up as one of the top 'treed' areas in the US. If you want trees, then yes, Dallas has areas that have more trees than CA. In fact, there are some inland areas of CA that are much more flat/barren than anything DFW has to offer.

However.....once you get off of 'trees' alone, most of CA has some pretty spectacular topography. Gentle rolling hills, ocean, Bay, Spainish architecture. I flew back in here last night and it was stimulating to my senses to say the least. Also, the smell of the ocean makes the hair on my neck stand up.

Now, if you want to talk even better topography....try Park City UT outside Salt Lake City.....the best word for that is 'majestic'.

So yes, if trees are want you want, go south into Dallas proper or now into Mckinney and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas