U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-20-2010, 08:10 AM

13,922 posts, read 24,240,473 times
my husband has couple of pairs and wears them with his boots in the office for jeans day
wears them at other times as well
don't believe one poster's knock on boots--
fitted right they are great and just as stereotypical a footgear as what most other people are wearing--

from what I read on-line == the new shoe for the male GQ dude out there is the logger boot with cuffed jeans to show the "right" kind of sole..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-20-2010, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 6,162 times
I have two pair of Dan Posts that feel great. I get more compliments when I wear my boots than when I wear my sperrys, loafers, or any other kind of "regular" shoe. I like the look of cowboy boots with correct cut pants, because it looks more uniform to me compared to some generic laced black dress shoes. I get compliments on my black lizard pair all the time, because they keep their shine perfectly and look good with dress pants.

Now, having said that, I don't wear my boots all the time. I like the look of traditional dress loafers as well. As long as you're not trying to force boots on yourself, nobody will think you're hokey.

Unread 02-24-2010, 10:57 AM

1,486 posts, read 2,396,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xen0blue View Post
No one wears that stuff here...it's unfortunate you're buying into the stereotype. I was born and raised here and have never owned or worn a pair in my life, and you couldn't pay me enough to do so. Dallas is much more New York than New Mexico.
Maybe not in Plano, but in real Dallas, you see people in boots all the time.

Real Texans don't quit wearing jeans and boots just because they have money.

Unread 02-24-2010, 01:56 PM

13,922 posts, read 24,240,473 times
they just buy handmade--not hand-me-down boots---

and hand-me-down comes not from the history of getting what your older brother/sister wore--but from people going into to stores and saying exactly that: "hand me down ----" and getting ready-made clothing vs custom clothing from a tailor or home-made clothing by family...
many times cowboys are the end of a trail drive would do just that--since they were pretty flush with their wages--go into store and buy new outfits by asking the clerk to "hand me down" jeans and shirts...

Unread 02-25-2010, 09:14 AM

713 posts, read 1,608,779 times
Texas Monthly's March issue has an article "The Bucket List." The article has 63 things all Texas should do before they pack it in.

Number 8 - Buy a pair of custom boots.

"Find a reputable shop and get in for a fitting."

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Unread 11-10-2011, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 744 times
Henry was one of the last real bootmakers in the world. He originally made saddles but when the car came along he learned bootmaking. I got 4 pair before he passed away. B.F. Phillips of Frisco was his main customer. I asked Henry once "how many pair of boots have you made for B.F.?" he responded "over 100". His protege, Robert Grissom, loved Henry so much that he had his name legally changed to "Dutch Leopold". Ray Price was one of his customers. Ray and I have the exact last and Ray wouldn't come by to pick up a pair so Henry sold them to me. Saw Ray about 15 yrs ago and told him the story. I have a picture of Ray & I backstage. Long live Henry, (his boots do) and his wife Mary.

Unread 11-10-2011, 04:13 PM

4,336 posts, read 3,033,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Maybe not in Plano, but in real Dallas, you see people in boots all the time.

Real Texans don't quit wearing jeans and boots just because they have money.
I have never saw anyone in the Oak Cliff part of Dallas wear boots in my life. That's a HUGE STEREOTYPE!

Unread 11-10-2011, 06:26 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,978,551 times
Your Momma wears Cowboy boots!! Or was it combat boots? Anyway...

This thread is old! Although I will say I am thoroughly embarrassed that the OP is from Boston..Regardless, these people have moved on, like a tumbleweed blowin in the wind.

Unread 11-10-2011, 09:41 PM

590 posts, read 1,549,815 times
I love boots... I wear them to football games and to work on casual Fridays. I get my boots from Remington Boot Company. The owner is great to work with to get custom boots.

Home - Remington Boot Company

Unread 12-01-2011, 10:07 PM

772 posts, read 496,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I have never saw anyone in the Oak Cliff part of Dallas wear boots in my life. That's a HUGE STEREOTYPE!
lol. One of my kids was in the OakCliff part of Dallas all summer and wore boots everywhere. Said they were good conversation starters.

Never say never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas