U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,792,895 times

Advertisements

I will be moving back to North Texas and will be looking to buy a modest home (100-150) foraa single person. I prefer the mid-cities area. Can anyone tell me the differences btw the two counties on property tax?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 03:45 PM

14,642 posts, read 27,910,819 times
you can check Tarrant Appraisal District for tarrant county tax info and dallas county is on line as well just don't know the web address
it all depends on where you are buying--there are different taxing entities == not all of them affect every house--
if you are in unencorporated area you do not pay city tax which would lessen you overall bill--but then you have different responders--like volunteer fire vs city fire, sheriff vs city police...
some cities have frozen tax rates--not appraised values however--for seniors and people with disabilities...school districts' tax rates vary as well
and everything depends on valuation--Tarrant county has been increasing valuations of homes despite the foreclosures and slow sales...I think Dallas has probably done the same

Old 03-04-2009, 06:37 PM

2,231 posts, read 4,057,451 times
I'll refer to my primary source, the Tax Foundation web page. It says that both Dallas and Tarrant county take a 4.3% share of their people's annual income for property taxes.

This isn't going to help you much, because, as loves2read mentioned, the actual property tax varies depending on which municipality and school district you're in. 4.3% is just an average, but the actual share of income may vary quite a bit around the average.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:33 PM

2,278 posts, read 4,245,387 times
Honestly you should compare the individual taxing entities as well. Our taxes in Garland were comparable to what they were when we moved to Murphy. Dallas County, DCCCD, City of Garland, GISD and Parkland vs Collin County, CCCCD, City of Murphy, PISD.

We personally get more bang for the same buck in Murphy than in Garland.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 AM

14,642 posts, read 27,910,819 times
bet you bought in an unencorporated area--and frankly isn't Murphy less populated, fewer services to provide than Garland which has larger infrastructure, higher population---
so it stands to reason your taxes would be less...

Old 03-05-2009, 10:11 AM

790 posts, read 1,818,753 times
Don't forget about homestead exemptions either. Some areas allow % deductions and some allow a set dollar amount.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:01 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,792,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
you can check Tarrant Appraisal District for tarrant county tax info and dallas county is on line as well just don't know the web address
it all depends on where you are buying--there are different taxing entities == not all of them affect every house--
if you are in unencorporated area you do not pay city tax which would lessen you overall bill--but then you have different responders--like volunteer fire vs city fire, sheriff vs city police...
some cities have frozen tax rates--not appraised values however--for seniors and people with disabilities...school districts' tax rates vary as well
and everything depends on valuation--Tarrant county has been increasing valuations of homes despite the foreclosures and slow sales...I think Dallas has probably done the same
Thank you all for you help. I will look into the info you gave me

Old 03-08-2009, 10:47 PM

2,278 posts, read 4,245,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
bet you bought in an unencorporated area--and frankly isn't Murphy less populated, fewer services to provide than Garland which has larger infrastructure, higher population---
so it stands to reason your taxes would be less...
There is no unincorporated area in Murphy. And there is the same city services as in Garland. Fire, police, public works, trash, side walks, parks, animal control, economic and community development, street lights.

Comparing the current rates: (3 years ago the total rate was pennies apart)

Garland
Taxing Jurisdiction Tax Rate per $100
City GARLAND $0.70
School GARLAND ISD $1.25
County DALLAS COUNTY $0.23
College DALLAS CO COMMUNITY COLLEGE $0.09
Hospital PARKLAND HOSPITAL $0.25

Total Rate: $2.53/100

Taxing Jurisdiction Tax Rate per $100
City MURPHY CITY $0.52
School PLANO ISD $1.30
County COLLIN COUNTY $0.24
CollegeCOLLLIN CO COMMUNITY COLLEGE $0.09

Total Rate: $2.40/100

FWIW, to compare larger suburbs, Plano's city tax rate is $.47.

And Dallas' is $.75 and I'd be hard pressed to come up with any service that Dallas provides that Garland doesn't, or provides better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas