U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 AM

839 posts, read 2,539,536 times

Advertisements

After reading countless threads and polls that put Dallas against other Cities in Texas and abroad I just had to ask why??

Dallas always seems to rank at or near the bottom of the popularity polls.
Ive seen it ranked against Atlanta, Houston , Miami, San Antonio, Austin, Chicago, L.A., etc... And Dallas always ranks last???????

I have been to Dallas and it seemed to be similar to Houston or any of these other places. I almost moved there but after reading the posts on City-Data I decided to move to Houston... Why is it that Dallas isnt well liked???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 AM

2,123 posts, read 4,318,555 times
Probably because of the Cowboys kicking every other teams butts off and on over the decades. Dallas is OK I guess though . I don't like any town over 100,000 and most of the under 100,000 pop.. I think you coulda done a lot worse than Dallas though IMHO .

My question is why let other folks opinions affect your decision so much. Shoulda followed your gut and moved there. Seems kinda wishy washy to me ... no offense ... I just like a "be your own man" kinda person. Internet opinions (like mine) are way over rated!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,290,758 times
Dallas seems to be getting very restrictive of individual liberties and, quite frankly, less discerning about their overt political corruption. The downtown has less to offer, the south side... well, you can have a low income neighborhood and still not have a ghetto. The public attractions are significantly lacking or behind the times.

Basically, it's having all of the problems other metropolitan cities have, but isn't implementing many successful solutions, as far as I can see.

Just my opinion.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:34 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,422,736 times
Have you worked or resided in Dallas? Where do you get your information from? And where is the political corruption? Only curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Dallas seems to be getting very restrictive of individual liberties and, quite frankly, less discerning about their overt political corruption. The downtown has less to offer, the south side... well, you can have a low income neighborhood and still not have a ghetto. The public attractions are significantly lacking or behind the times.

Basically, it's having all of the problems other metropolitan cities have, but isn't implementing many successful solutions, as far as I can see.

Just my opinion.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 PM

9,243 posts, read 23,445,250 times
Yeah, I disagree too. I have lots of family in Dallas. I personally didn't choose to live there, but I always enjoy it when I go visit. My sister, on the other hand, lives there and absolutely loves it. She has a great job doing Cancer research and they have a 1920's house they've been refurbishing. She lives really close to lower greenville and can walk to shop or eat out. She loves the restaurant variety and nightlife too.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 PM

6,560 posts, read 10,270,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Have you worked or resided in Dallas? Where do you get your information from? And where is the political corruption? Only curious.
Corruption? Three names for ya: Don Hill (under Federal indictment for corruption), James Fantroy (convicted of embezzlement), and welcome to the club former mayor Ron Kirk (owes almost $10,000 in back taxes on speeches given after his time as mayor).

Oh, and a "warm" welcome to convicted felon and disgraced Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, who now calls Southlake his home.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:09 PM

8,031 posts, read 7,635,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Corruption? Three names for ya: Don Hill (under Federal indictment for corruption), James Fantroy (convicted of embezzlement), and welcome to the club former mayor Ron Kirk (owes almost $10,000 in back taxes on speeches given after his time as mayor).

Oh, and a "warm" welcome to convicted felon and disgraced Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, who now calls Southlake his home.
Oh, nice...

Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 PM

2,893 posts, read 5,290,758 times
I grew up and lived in Dallas or it's immediate suburbs for, oh... 30 years, +- a few.

I like Ft Worth somewhat better. Maybe it's an age thing because overall I'm just finding large cities intolerable.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:27 PM

2,265 posts, read 2,774,162 times
I find something wrong with any "sanctuary city", the public school system is not good, the government is corrupt, and there are other reason why dallas isn't that great. Still, I do go to Dallas a lot.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:49 PM

16,092 posts, read 36,576,539 times
Wow D-Towner you must be from the suburbs to believe all that.

There is DALLAS and there are the SUBURBS. They are totally different. Suburbs are boring and could be Anyplace, USA.

DALLAS is an exciting, very friendly, laid-back, somewhat liberal, artsy, entrepreur-friendly, historic place.

We do get a bad reputation from the snooty types who live in the Park Cities and those who live north along Preston Road going up to Collin County. Try to ignore them. They are trying to impress, don't fall into their game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or