Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:07 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,506,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
I concur the sentiments about Austin's collective disdain of Austin. But really, mention the word Dallas anywhere in Texas, and the stereotypes and admonishments are pervasive and wide spread. As someone who grew up in Dallas, there really isn't much else in Texas that offers the level of culture, diversity, thriving business economy, high-end dining and shopping, and fast-paced cosmopolitanism that Dallas does.
For many living in other Texas cities, there's a steak of jealousy and insecurity because of this, and it's understandable. But, you can't paint the city with a wide brush -- there are areas which reject the predominant cultural ethos of the city, with their own uniqueness.
I would agree with that assessment. Oh, before a pi**ed off Houstonian responds, I'll add that Houston would be the only other TX city that offers all of those things in such abundance IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 03:14 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,837,519 times
Dallas and Houston are pretty much equal.

San Antonio has so much potential. But it just doesn't want to grow. It is behind the times a bit and could be a fantastic city like Dallas or Houston.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 AM

810 posts, read 1,420,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Dallas and Houston are pretty much equal.

San Antonio has so much potential. But it just doesn't want to grow. It is behind the times a bit and could be a fantastic city like Dallas or Houston.
You are preaching to the choir. It is that stubborn small town mentality that is preventing the city from progressing because “Things are just fine here” and “We don’t want to become a Dallas or Houston.” Plus there is not the money here that Dallas and Houston has.

If you post anything like this in the SA forum, you will get many locals getting defensive and upset. Why can’t they just admit SA is behind in times?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:11 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times
Behind the times can be good in some cases.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:41 PM

436 posts, read 1,609,513 times
SA now reminds me of Ft Worth in the late 70's. not necessarily a bad thing, indeed.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM

810 posts, read 1,420,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needsomeinfo View Post
SA now reminds me of Ft Worth in the late 70's. not necessarily a bad thing, indeed.
I love Fort Worth and SA is similar to Fort Worth in some aspects but I think Fort Worth is a lot more progressive and nicer than most of SA. SA is closer to Mesquite, older parts of Irving, and Oak Cliff in most parts.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:15 AM

624 posts, read 901,146 times
Nobody cares about the population of a municipal government, they evaluate cities by the size of the metro. So DFW is important because it is the 4th largest USA metro, whereas SA is 24th, or 32nd, or something like that. Well, 32nd out of a field of 350 is not all that bad, but it's not like a Dallas or Philadelphia or Houston.

Your are clueless, it has nothing to do with padding the populations numbers. The city annexes areas so the tax dollars stay in SA. It's trying to prevent being land locked with a ring of large suburban cities whose tax dollars do nothing to contribute to the larger city and the larger city rots from within, with a declining tax base. Detroit (long before the auto industry failed) and some other northern cities find themselves in this situation and Houston has done the same exact thing as SA... annexed. They only have one semi large suburban city Pasadena. SA may not be as progressive as Dallas and there are those who never want to see it become the size of Houston but to say its not growing is ridiculous and no I don't hate Dallas I have no reason to.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,049,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Nobody cares about the population of a municipal government, they evaluate cities by the size of the metro. So DFW is important because it is the 4th largest USA metro, whereas SA is 24th, or 32nd, or something like that. Well, 32nd out of a field of 350 is not all that bad, but it's not like a Dallas or Philadelphia or Houston.

Your are clueless, it has nothing to do with padding the populations numbers. The city annexes areas so the tax dollars stay in SA. It's trying to prevent being land locked with a ring of large suburban cities whose tax dollars do nothing to contribute to the larger city and the larger city rots from within, with a declining tax base. Detroit (long before the auto industry failed) and some other northern cities find themselves in this situation and Houston has done the same exact thing as SA... annexed. They only have one semi large suburban city Pasadena. SA may not be as progressive as Dallas and there are those who never want to see it become the size of Houston but to say its not growing is ridiculous and no I don't hate Dallas I have no reason to.
That's not a bad analysis, BillyH.

I'd probably agree with you that the municipality, as a government, is motivated to expand its jurisdiction into the suburbs for the two usual base motives of greed and the drive for power.

Politicians want two things... money and power... and the politicians that infest the SA municipal government are no different.

The SA citizens, on the other hand, that hype up their town by describing it as the 9th largest something, while being very circumspect about how trivial that "something" is, are motivated differently. Their drive is basically insecurity, or a feeling of inferiority that must be propped up by any means possible, and they delude themselves into believing in their own delusions.

And when you brag about the meaningless, you render yourself meaningless.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:02 AM

624 posts, read 901,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
That's not a bad analysis, BillyH.

I'd probably agree with you that the municipality, as a government, is motivated to expand its jurisdiction into the suburbs for the two usual base motives of greed and the drive for power.

Politicians want two things... money and power... and the politicians that infest the SA municipal government are no different.

The SA citizens, on the other hand, that hype up their town by describing it as the 9th largest something, while being very circumspect about how trivial that "something" is, are motivated differently. Their drive is basically insecurity, or a feeling of inferiority that must be propped up by any means possible, and they delude themselves into believing in their own delusions.

And when you brag about the meaningless, you render yourself meaningless.
SA is the 7th largest city in the country, I don't know if those who hype this fact are motivated by insecurity or a sense of inferiority. But to compare SA to the whole Metro Plex is either ignorant or delusional or just plain both. The SA metro area population is around the size of Kansas City, MO. Houston's city limits are over 600 square miles, SA 430, Dallas 385.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:42 AM

737 posts, read 1,173,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
SA is the 7th largest city in the country, I don't know if those who hype this fact are motivated by insecurity or a sense of inferiority. But to compare SA to the whole Metro Plex is either ignorant or delusional or just plain both. The SA metro area population is around the size of Kansas City, MO. Houston's city limits are over 600 square miles, SA 430, Dallas 385.
The reason the comparison is being made is because it directly speaks to the urbanity of the areas. Even though municipal boundaries are extremely they don't tell the entire picture.

Yes San Antonio is larger than the city of Dallas. But the other municipalities around Dallas smash those around San Antonio.

What else is around San Antonio? New Braunfels population 50,000. Schertz, Selma?

What about Dallas? Plano 260,000, McKinney 120,000, Carrollton 120,000, Mesquite 130,000, Richardson 100,000, Garland 210,000. And that's not including Fort Worth and Arlington! Much less the other municipalities in Tarrant and Denton County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas