Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 02:23 PM

669 posts, read 1,607,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
You must fall asleep somewhere between Oceanside and San Clemente. If it weren't for Camp Pendleton, it would be all urbanized between SD and LA. North SD County has little to do, if anything with South OC. Are there people who commute between the two? Sure there are, but for the most part, they function as entirely separate entities. This is coming from someone who lived in SD for 13 years BTW.

Don't forget Irvine, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, etc. Very inland and I seriously doubt that area is "blue".
Having lived in SD for 29 years... I do fall asleep between Oceanside and San Clemente. North SD has plenty to do w/ OC and alot w/ south Riverside County. Working in NOrth SD 1/3 of our 800 employees live in Riverside county. And many that work in South OC live in NOrth SD....

Functioning are separate entities- don't all cities and counties etc ?
Anyways w/ the cost of housing varying GREATLY in SD/OC/LA and riverside counties you're going to get alot of transaction between the "separate entities". Unlike in DFW affordable housing is throughout the area in all directions. YOu can live and work in your same area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 02:26 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,152,993 times
Long Beach isn't in Orange County. It's LA County.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:08 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,229,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Having lived in SD for 29 years... I do fall asleep between Oceanside and San Clemente. North SD has plenty to do w/ OC and alot w/ south Riverside County. Working in NOrth SD 1/3 of our 800 employees live in Riverside county. And many that work in South OC live in NOrth SD....

Functioning are separate entities- don't all cities and counties etc ?
Anyways w/ the cost of housing varying GREATLY in SD/OC/LA and riverside counties you're going to get alot of transaction between the "separate entities". Unlike in DFW affordable housing is throughout the area in all directions. YOu can live and work in your same area.

Temecula/Murrietta seem to have more of an SD connection than San Clemente or Capistrano. YMMV. They still have LA channels up that way, which I heard was bad during the 2007 fires, because they couldn't get any local news about the fires. I remember back in the early 90s when people started moving to Temecula because of the cheaper housing up that way compared to Rancho Bernardo/Poway/PQ/Scripps Ranch. I always found it interesting that East Chula Vista (Eastlake/Rancho Del Rey/Otay Ranch) developed a bit later than Temecula did.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Long Beach isn't in Orange County. It's LA County.
Oh ya- sorry bout that Huntingon Beach is the larger city I mixed up.

INteresting enough though, OC county is 3 million people half of DFW.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:12 PM

OK here it is:

Dallas County: DemocratRepublican200857.5% 424,46841.9% 309,477

Colin County:
GOPDEMOthers200862.2% 184,89736.7% 109,0471.2% 3,513

Tarrant

DemocratRepublican200843.8% 274,10155.6% 347,843

Seems Red to me.... those are the main ones... DEnton and the others only make it MUCH more red.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:01 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,152,993 times
I don't think anyone's disputing that Collin and Tarrant, and other surrounding counties, are red. I will say this though, I'm not sure there's another "twin city" metro where there is such a contrast between the two dominant cities. I'm just going to guess that the presidential voting patterns of, say, Seattle/Tacoma, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Minneapois/St. Paul, San Francisco/Oakland/Berkeley/San Jose were probably much more similar than those of Dallas and Fort Worth.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:06 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times
Dallas went blue before Obama.

We elected a Democrats including a black mayor back in the 90s, two female Jewish mayors, a black district attorney, a lesbian sheriff, a gay county judge and a gay county clerk. Also nearly elected a gay mayor. There are probably more that I have not mentioned here.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:12 PM

2,926 posts, read 3,492,686 times
Well, Hopefully the more suburban areas of Dallas County will show more Republican leanings in the next election cycle.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:16 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,506,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Well, Hopefully the more suburban areas of Dallas County will show more Republican leanings in the next election cycle.
Hopefully not!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Dallas went blue before Obama.

We elected a Democrats including a black mayor back in the 90s, two female Jewish mayors, a black district attorney, a lesbian sheriff, a gay county judge and a gay county clerk. Also nearly elected a gay mayor. There are probably more that I have not mentioned here.
One of the largest US cities going blue isn't much to note. Especially w/ a large black population its pretty sure to often go that way.

I think if Dallas had a smaller black population it wouldn't be red, but closer to it. Dallas being the only county in the DFW area going blue says alot.. and for the most part... it wasn't even close in the other counties. In fact, Dallas county leaned blue and the rest went very red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas