Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 10:37 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Being very flat and devoid of much vegetation and any real significant geological features, I'm sorry but beautiful is not an adjective I'd use in deccribing North Texas. But if you think it is, OK fine but I'm not talking any area that is natural appealing, I'm talking about areas that are in the path of growth for the metro area and that's just not Oakcliff.
The trend of growth has been in Tarrant County period rather it Mansfield South Arlington and Crowley or Burleson to the south or South Lake, North Fort Worth and Keller to the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 04:28 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,758 times
Quote:
Being very flat and devoid of much vegetation and any real significant geological features, I'm sorry but beautiful is not an adjective I'd use in deccribing North Texas.
The poster wasn't describing all of N. Texas. He/she was accurately describing Oak Cliff.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
The poster wasn't describing all of N. Texas. He/she was accurately describing Oak Cliff.
You are a native of Dallas, Texas why want Oak Cliff not see any growth since the poster is accurate?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:19 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Being very flat and devoid of much vegetation and any real significant geological features, I'm sorry but beautiful is not an adjective I'd use in deccribing North Texas.
I agree with this statement for the most part, but in all fairness there are some gently rolling hills southwest of Dallas.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:29 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,530,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I agree with this statement for the most part, but in all fairness there are some gently rolling hills southwest of Dallas.
Some people seem to think that a flat topography means that Dallas isn't that much to look, but I think that many people who have lived around the area will disagree.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Some people seem to think that a flat topography means that Dallas isn't that much to look, but I think that many people who have lived around the area will disagree.
Most areas of Dallas do have some nice looking, fairly dense, medium sized trees for being located on black soil prairie land, especially inside of Loops 12 & 635. The parts that give Dallas a reputation as being a wide open, treeless wasteland full of cookie cutter neighborhoods, strip malls, & liquor stores are along highways 80 & I-20 in sparsely populated, but growing Dallas County.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:44 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
You are a native of Dallas, Texas why want Oak Cliff not see any growth since the poster is accurate?
Kdogg817, I think you misconstrued my response to Nunusguy. I was defending your comment that Oak Cliff is naturally beautiful. It is that way. I was not commenting on his remark that Oak Cliff had no chance for development as I had already done that in a previous post. I do think that Oak Cliff has great potential for future development. It's already started happening.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
METRO MATT

What's up Metro Matt! i was hoping i would get a response from what i asked you in post #154. Oh well!

Old 04-20-2009, 03:21 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,523 times
Quote:
Most areas of Dallas do have some nice looking, fairly dense, medium sized trees for being located on black soil prairie land, especially inside of Loops 12 & 635. The parts that give Dallas a reputation as being a wide open, treeless wasteland full of cookie cutter neighborhoods, strip malls, & liquor stores are along highways 80 & I-20 in sparsely populated, but growing Dallas County.
Not that I completely agree w/ everything being said, but come on.... no one is going to EVER say DAllas (yes, dallas itself, not some far off sparsely inhabited area is much to look at). Dallas is what it is. If we surveyed people who've traveled throughout major US cities, does anyone really think they'd put Dallas in any category for scenery?

It's a working class town - not something people far and wide travel to expecting to see something memorable (scenery wise).

Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I agree that the dense urban developments do happen in Dallas and have happened in Dallas first in the past. But recent developments in Houston are no sleeping giant when talking about urban developements. Are you suggesting that Houston isn't densifying itself either all the developments going inside of the 610 loop such as: West Av, Houston Pavilions, Camden Midtown, Mix @ Midtown, Houston Pavilions, Discovery Green, all the developments happening downtown, and etc? If we only counted the 610 loop, it's probably be the most densest area in the state.

Also the argument that Dallasites make about Houston's annexation of land is weak. Those were small communities with very low populations anyway. Its amazing that even after all of that, Houston is still actually denser than Dallas (although not by much) but its still denser as far as ppsm. In a way, Dallas boosters do the same thing, they use any surrounding cities around them to boost themselves up, even if its a major city 30 miles away including its suburbs and just coin it as "Dallas".
Here's the thing about DFW and Houston.... the density thing really isn't gonna fly here. Allthough the metros are building up, ever so slowly..... they are still spreading out and in much faster rates than the upward buildings are.

People around the US have flocked there for that reason. Look at the major US cities along the east coast and even Chicago/Detriot. Their populations are stagnant or decreasing. People have left urban areas for low density areas where they can have a HOME w/ a yard and NOT live in some 2 bedroom apt that cost 5x as much.

Density is nice and urban development is too if the citizens really favor it, but as of now people want their 3000sq ft homes they can afford, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas