Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:24 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
That's cool momof2dfw, I have never seen them in Southern California. So it must be something new. As for the two way traffic I have rarely found any here in Dallas. I never said there was none, just something to get use to.
Well, I wasn't in Southern California. I was up in and around Lake Tahoe. You will find frontage roads in Reno & Sacramento. Most being one-way. So this front coming thru right now........... I've already been in but it was SNOW and very cold temps when I experienced it the first time this past Saturday and Sunday.

Just up from Rockwall on I-30 between Rockwall and Royce City the frontage roads are 2-way. They used to be 2-way even in most of Rockwall but with the growth they kind of did away with them. Areas with a lot of traffic won't have a 2-way frontage road which is why you won't see them "in" Dallas. Then traveling along I-35 and I-45 you will find frontage roads w/ 2-way traffic (even in some of the smaller cities along the way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:24 PM

19 posts, read 71,231 times
THANK YOU!!!! Keep the ideas coming! We are actually moving from Iowa and yes we LIVE in our big basement, so that will be missed.

I love these ideas! Also, thank you for all the warm welcome(s)!

Keep it going!
Terri

Old 03-24-2009, 04:37 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Yes, there are school zones even on 6-lane streets if they are near a school or kids must walk that way to/from school. They won't usually have a school zone on a large main street IF there are not any kids that might have to cross that street to/from school. If they do, there will be a school zone.
Some of them don't make sense though. I've driven through two right next to each other almost every weekday for the past several months and have yet to see any kids out there...just 2 adults. I kind of think people would be nuts to let their elementary school kids walk across there anyway.

Also, there is a major intersection right by my apartments...my kids are supposed to walk to middle school and there is no school zone there, where they need to cross, but there is one down at the next intersection for the same school.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing of course, since we're looking out for the kids, but it is something I still need to be on the lookout for even now since I wasn't used to it before.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:46 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
While I may not qualify as I'm a Native Dallasite I'll go ahead and give some answers to some of these posts to "clear the air".

Oh, and WELCOME!

While I did not grow up w/ a basement when my grandparents lived in Kansas for awhile they had a HUGE basement. Was a blast for us grandkids since it was kind of a novelty.

We have attics here. Most of your stuff gets put in the attic that you won't need often like Christmas decorations. Then you get a house w/ PLENTY of closet space . Some areas allow an outside storage building while some do not. You can also find a house from as little as a 1-car garage to a 3+ garage. For a family of 6 if your wanting a LOT of room inside and outside........... check out Murphy, Lucas, Parker and even the Northeast area of Garland.

Not entirely true. Some areas (like Plano, Frisco, Allen) that have a lot of new subdivisons tend to have the teeny-tiny yards. I don't dig those at all so I don't live in those areas. It is possible to live somewhere in the Dallas area with a HUGE yard. I do.

Those probably were not "locals" but rather other transplants that continued to serve the kool-aide that was not accurate. There are GREAT areas East of 75 that I happen to prefer over most areas West of 75.

Again, not all areas have tiny yards. I have a HUGE yard and my side yard is larger than most backyards in some areas. You just have to look in the right areas for the larger yards.

The wood privacy fence......... most newer homes have them. I grew up in the Dallas area w/ a 4' chainlink fence...... much prefer my wood privacy fence so I can lay out in the pool and not scare the neighbors Some areas have wrought iron fences and some areas are required that is all they can have. If you pick a lot/house that backs up to a golf course or greenbelt you most likely will only be allowed to have a wrought iron fence.

Alleys - most neighborhoods have them. Most cities require them. I much prefer my back alley and rear entry garage. Some areas have front, j-swing or side entry garages. You will find those on LARGE acreage lots in areas of Murphy, Parker, Lucas. If you get a house on a golf course or greenbelt you will also most likely have the side or j-swing and no alley. If you get in an area w/ larger lots it really doesn't take up much of your usable backyard. A lot of people actually fence in the driveway with a sliding gate across it to acces the drive/garage. This gives a good sized hard surface for the backyard for the kids to play on (ride bikes, etc) without the fear of vehicular traffic. With the driveways in the back it also makes it a lot safer for the kids to ride their bikes and to walk in the neighborhood without the fear of cars backing out of a driveway.

Frontage roads - other states have them as well. California, Nevada, Florida, etc. They are how one access the businesses that are along the highway. Also gives drivers an alternative route in case there is a wreck on the highway. Really easy to understand basically. I also have not found the on/off ramps to be any shorter than what is in other states. Just like in other states some on/off ramps are longer/shorter than others depending upon how much room there is for it. Gosh, y'all should have seen the on/off ramps that used to be on 75 before it was totally redone years ago. Talk about SHORT They even had red/green lights to give traffic coming onto the highway the go ahead.

As for the water bills, some areas are better than others. I'm in Garland and they happen to own their own electric power plant and water source so our water and electric rates are pretty low compared to other areas.

You need to go FURTHER East. You were not even barely in "East Plano". Go further out towards Parker and Murphy. You will be AMAZED! Seriously. You have totally missed out on this little slice of heaven out here. It has a totally different vibe to it and it is VERY NICE. More trees and varying terrain as well. Houses w/ huge backyards, etc.

Yes, you will need to water your foundation here. You can do it with your sprinkler system or with a soaker house. When water rationing is going on you are still allowed to water your foundation. Not all houses have foundation issues nor are all houses ever going to. Some areas have the white rock so there is less clay issues to deal with. Just talk to our contractors that are trenching right now to reroute all of our utilities......... it is taking them all morning just to go a few feet because of that white rock.

I also live East of 75 and you could not pay me to live West of it. As I said earlier, totally different vibe. More laidback, spread out, hometown kind of feel. A LOT LESS traffic congestion too. One can get over 2 acres easy in the areas East of 75 in VERY desirable areas as well.

Property taxes - look up each cities rates and you can find them all over the map.

There are some great school systems in the area. As the mother of 2 that are in them........... I would not trade my daughters education for anything.

Yes, rent first then buy. However, with a family of 6 it is going to be hard to find something large enough to rent. That one is going to be tough. You might be able to find a few large 4 bedrooms that are out there to rent.

I grew up with 35. I hate it now. Back when I was first driving it did not bother me and 75 scared me to death. With 75 totally redone and 35 a total PITA.......... I avoid it at all costs as much as possible.

Our weather is bipolar.

Yes, cold A/C in the car and also having one that is a convertible for those beautiful days we get is nice.

Not all of those drivers out there driving like idiots are Texans. For the most part they are transplants. Very few natives left around here. We get a lot of people moving here from other states and countries that never really had to drive till they got here.

I only go 5 over.

In some cities large trucks can not drive in the far left lane of the highway. It is also like that in many spots along the interstates across the state. Oh, and the far left lane is for PASSING traffic ONLY! You can get a ticket for hanging out in the far left lane of the highway (they don't give out tickets for this often enough, imho).

Yes, there are a LOT of events always going on all over the Dallas area. If anyone says they never can find anything to do........ they are not looking.

Depends on the HOA. There are good ones and bad ones. Lived in a REALLY bad one once. Live in a great one now.

Yes, there are school zones even on 6-lane streets if they are near a school or kids must walk that way to/from school. They won't usually have a school zone on a large main street IF there are not any kids that might have to cross that street to/from school. If they do, there will be a school zone.

I love it when the natives give good advice instead of hearsay

Old 03-24-2009, 05:17 PM

35 posts, read 153,116 times
Where are you from in the midwest? I too am moving to the Dallas area this summer and live in Iowa right now!!! I moved to Iowa from Texas so looking forward to going back home!!! Texas was a great deal cheaper than living in Iowa so it depends greatly on where you live now compared to where you will live in Texas. OOOOH how the people are friendlier in Texas than they are in the midwest. So sad, just total lack of social graces and hospitality!!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:20 PM

35 posts, read 153,116 times
Oooops....just reread threads....see you live in Iowa!!!! I live near Des Moines, in Clive, been here 20 yrs. I never did get use to living here, even though I tried. Anyway, you will love Texas!!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:45 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Texas drivers aren't really insane, they just have a different set of skills. The rule is...

Lead Follow or Get out of the way

Welcome to Texas. If you have time, send off for your Texas travel guide. IT'S FREE ! ! !

Old 03-24-2009, 06:43 PM

15 posts, read 62,054 times
Recently moved from Kansas. Most places have small yards but Murphy/Patker have better yards and good schools. Most people park their trucks in the driveway (if HOA allows) because your garage will be full of all those things that you used to put in unfinished storage areas/basement. The houses we saw did not even have utility rooms for furnace or water heater, instead they are in the attic. Careful about storing stuff in attic because it gets really hot in there. Unless you go up north to visit alot, you don't need most of your winter clothes. If you like hunting, it can be a challenge to find good public land. There is at least a lot less good public land compared to Kansas and Missouri. Drivers don't seem any crazier than they are in other large cities, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Good luck with your move and I guarantee all your friends in Iowa will be jealous in January when they have 10 below weather and it is in the 60's here.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:17 PM

66 posts, read 242,895 times
there's a lot of great areas and plenty of not so great. I would totally ignore any comment that says don't go East of 75! What a crock! Tons and tons of absolute mansions and beautiful homes and plenty of them on acreage! There are some burbs that feature more homes with postage size lots, plenty medium sized, and some that are half acre to several acres. Price range and commute are going to be driving forces for what you will eventually buy. One word of advice, don't get overly excited by what you come across on the internet, as I often have transplant clients that are really excited about this place or that from the pics, and it always works out that once we get out there, they realize why it is priced the way it is!

Old 03-25-2009, 01:59 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,532,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Texas drivers aren't really insane, they just have a different set of skills. The rule is...

Lead Follow or Get out of the way

Welcome to Texas. If you have time, send off for your Texas travel guide. IT'S FREE ! ! !

Sounds like Texas rules of the road!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas