Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 AM
rkr rkr started this thread

4 posts, read 12,871 times

Advertisements

Hi , I am currently renting an apartment in Irving Tx. My home got broken into and all the management did was put a temporary fix on the door....they keep postponing the change of the new door frame... they did change the lock but just put in a piece of wood where the door frame cracked open ...meanwhile I dont feel too secure living in the home as Im alone most of the time. We tried to break the lease but the penalties for that are really huge and they are not even interested in lowering the same. Put in a request for lease breakage with the corporate office but they just keep saying someone will get back to us. In this senario what are my options?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Also, will consulting the lawyer help the case...
Thanks.

Last edited by rkr; 04-10-2009 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 11:04 AM

56 posts, read 144,693 times
give them the weekend to repair. maybe less. then have repaired and subtract costs from rent. present receipt with rent check. HTH.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the reply MIAS. Its been over 8 days....they did change the door lock but just nailed in a piece of wood where the door frame cracked....

Old 04-10-2009, 12:04 PM

59 posts, read 230,677 times
Residents and Visitors in the City of Irving may file complaints concerning Minimum Housing (Apartments, Motel / Hotel, and Single -Family Dwellings) issues with the Code Compliance Division @ 972.721.4929.
Required Information will include:

Name of Company/Hotel/Property
Location or Address
Nature of Violation
Proper time frame for repairs
Copy of letter given to mgmt if not an emergency

Old 04-10-2009, 12:08 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
Google (or Yahoo, etc.) up the state laws related to real estate rentals, ... and look up the exact laws to determine what can be done. For instance in Oklahoma, the only recourse would be to send them a certified letter, and a timeframe (it might have been 15 days, I don't remember) for fixing the issue or else you move out. Granted moving out doesn't get the management to cover your costs for moving, lost time from work, inconvenience, etc., but I haven't rented in Texas for years (and will likely never rent again). You would be covered in case of the penalties, because they would have broken the state law, and your contract would be void (and not subject to any penalties) ...

Old 04-10-2009, 11:55 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Here is the Texas Tenants Union contact info that is located in Dallas as well as the advice from the Texas Tenant Advisor organization on repair and other tenant/landlord issues that may be helpful to you:

Texas Tenants Union

Repairs (http://www.texastenant.org/rights/repairs/repairs.html - broken link)

And, you are right to be upset about their negligence in making the acceptable repairs in a reasonable time... which, according to this repair advice article... is a max of seven days for non-emergencies... and less if it involves the safety of the tenant... as it does in your case.

Good luck and go get 'em!

Old 04-11-2009, 02:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
are you saying your APT was broken into--
frankly I would be looking to break my lease without incurring a penalty and having the mgmt company be derelict in correcting the broken door seems like a good reason...

Old 04-14-2009, 04:42 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks to all for the inputs. I'm still trying to work with the management and they are still not able to tell me when they are going to fix my door....The corporate doesn't seem to care either and the receptionist there is downright rude. So still hanging in there and trying to get things worked out......lets see how it goes.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:08 PM

Default Update

I finally heard from the corporate office...they were very apologetic and also said I could break my lease with a 30 day notice......no penalties..
There are still some good people in this world

Old 10-25-2009, 06:26 PM

15 posts, read 35,330 times
Wish I saw this earlier. Be very careful holding back on your rent payments when your landlord doesn't repair an issue. This is a very slippery slope. On the one hand, your safety was at risk so I believe the repair should have been fixed immediately. On the other hand, laws in Texas are against you in the witholding rent arena. Your best bet is to send a certified letter to the landlord/management company. Even if they do not repair the issue, do not withold rent. You could find yourself in a pickle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: