U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:30 PM

1,517 posts, read 4,010,262 times
Arrow Photo Tour: The Mansions on Swiss and Lakewood in route to the Dallas Arboretum

These photos are of about 24 blocks of some of the mansions on Swiss Avenue from downtown Dallas up to the Lakewood area, then of the mansions on Lakewood up to White Rock Lake. I sprinkled in shots of the flowers that were in bloom at the Dallas Arboretum to keep the thread more varied. Sorry it was a cloudy and partly rainy day, but you get the idea.

A few blocks from downtown there is a great old church followed by two wonder historic blocks of Victorian homes. All are offices now but the charm remains.

The Historical Sign for the Wilson Block says:

"Swiss native Jacob Nussbaumer, a colonist in the Pioneer La Reunion settlement of the Dallas area, purchased this land prior to the Civil War. In 1898, his wife Dorothea and children sold it to her niece Henrietta Frichot Wilson (1864-1953), the daughter of La Reunion settlers....Today the Wilson Block serves as a reminder of Dallas' rich heritage and early development."

The Historical Sign for the Beilharz Block says:

"The Beilharz Block is named after Theodore Beilharz, an early settler who built the Beilharz House and carriage house located at 2800 Swiss Avenue. Mrs. Beilharz was a sister to Mrs. Frederick Wilson, whose house anchors the Wilson Block. All the other structures on this block were built between 1887 - 1901 within a mile of the site and were moved and restored by the Meadows Foundation in 1984 - 1985 to serve as offices for non-profit community organization."

Swiss Avenue is just 2 miles from downtown Dallas and was named when families of Swiss, German and French arrived and settled in this area. It is reported to be one of the finest early 20th-century neighbourhoods in the Southwest.

Most of the houses were built from 1900-1930. It's called Swiss Avenue because many of the first home-builders in the area were immigrants from Switzerland. The Swiss Avenue Historic District consists of Swiss Avenue, Bryan Parkway, Bryan Street, La Vista Avenue, and Live Oak Street...and Munger Place Historic District is nearby as well.

The area has over two hundred homes varying in a dozen historical styles. Not only is their Swiss Avenue, but Live Oak Street, Bryan Street and La Vista Drive to view these wonderful old homes.

Most of the lawns are yellow due to the season but some were very green as they were either for sale or just well maintained. Scores of homes were not well kept and were for sale, as it the case in many affluent neighborhoods across the country at the moment. The main structures were in fantastic condition but it was evident by the roofs that they were not being maintained. This can also happen if the house still has the original owner in it and the funds may have run low. Think Norma Desmond in Hollywood!

I love this house, but think I would go with a different color, though pink is very Euro looking and probably more classic in design. Who knows? It sure does stand out amongst the others!

So, let's break up the tour and take a look at White Rock Lake and some of its surrounding areas:

I don't know but this look like a cross between a duck and a turkey?

Synchronized Swimming!

Monticello:

The Lakewood Theater followed by Lakewood Avenue Homes

More in a moment!

Last edited by DenverAztec; 04-11-2009 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 08:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 4,010,262 times

Though it was cloudy, it was a great day for a picnic for the opening of the blossom at the Dallas Arboretum, 500,000 bulbs in full bloom to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Dallas Blooms!

One of the original mansion on the Arboretum grounds, there were two homes which the owners donated their land to the city to build the Arboretum.

Magnolias

The Arboretum is fantastic for portraits

Love the Nasher, but there is something to be said when a staute is displayed with only the clutter of flowers!

I hope she isn't using this dress later for a dinner date? Some of these darn photographers are only about the shot, forget the prom later!

Hey now, no discriminating against the weeds, beauty can be found in all things living.

Neighborhood south of the Arboretum

Downtown Dallas in the distance

Hope you enjoyed!

Denver Aztec

Thread One - Fair Park, Dallas during the North Texas Irish Festival

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dallas/613776-fair-park-dallas-art-deco-structures.html

Last edited by DenverAztec; 04-11-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 09:21 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,008,940 times
Very nice. Those flower pictures are just stunning. So colorful.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:05 PM

3,669 posts, read 7,360,819 times
You just don't get that in the burbs. Fantastic pics and thanks for sharing.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:08 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,440,460 times
Great thread Denver Aztec!

I've also viewed several of your other photo threads here and on SSP; you take beautiful pictures.

Come back to the Metroplex soon. Thanks for sharing!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:32 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,656,513 times

That's the house I grew up in. Man, that guy has really screwed it up. I hate the addition he put on on the side of the house. I do like the front porch, though. That would have been nice.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:23 AM

2,780 posts, read 5,413,265 times
Great pix!

I like that you started on lower Swiss.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 AM

2,484 posts, read 3,471,615 times
Get pics, this is what Dallas is made of and much much more.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 AM

15,955 posts, read 25,114,548 times
getmeoutofhere -- you may have just outed yourself to me depending on whether you lived there in the 80s and early 90s or more recently! If your last name starts with "F" or "A" I know your mama!

Great shots D.A. - overwhelming what you have done here! It's very interesting to see what is photo-worthy from a visitor vs. someone who has lived among these homes all his life.

I see you also found Forest Hills. I would love to post some of your pics on here when posters say that Dallas doesn't have any trees.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:19 AM

15,955 posts, read 25,114,548 times
Here's a story about one of our "Norma Desmonds":

Dallas Morning News Special Report | Mary Ellen's Will: The Battle Over 4949 Swiss Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas