U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 03:38 PM

36 posts, read 91,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Daley is a con?

Interpret that statement how you will because I just realized how you could answer it two ways!
LMAO!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 05:56 PM

5 posts, read 11,546 times
I have lived in both cities, grew up in Chicago and lived in Dallas for the past 15 years. I just could not take the bitter winters in Chicago anymore. I would get depressed every October just thinking about having to get through another winter and wondering when we would see the sun again. I will take four months of blazing heat over seven months of winter any day.Dallas does have some cultural opportunities; not world-class perhaps like Chicago, but they are there if you search them out. Suburbs are suburbs, wherever you are. What annoys me is that when I visit my family and friends in Chicago, is that it is like pulling teeth to get them to go downtown to show my son what Chicago has to offer because they never want to leave the suburbs. If all you want exposure to in life is shopping malls, strip malls, Kohl's, TGIF, and mindless suburbs, either city fits the bill!What I think Dallas lacks most and what I really yearn for is the natural beauty found in places like southern or northern California or the Pacific Northwest. That said, since I am not in an income level where I can afford to live in more than a box there, I would rather enjoy my nice house in Dallas with an affordable mortgage and visit those places as often as I can!

Old 07-19-2009, 10:05 PM

346 posts, read 651,314 times
I feel the same way. I thought I could handle chicago winters, since I grew up in the midwest, but this past winter was just too much for me. I'd take heat over cold too and it's pretty hard to look attractive when it's -20 degrees.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 AM

2,231 posts, read 5,596,365 times
I just posted, in another thread, a list of studies that showed the comparative health related issues of hot summers and mild winters versus cold winters and mild summers.

The hot summer-mild winter is best for your health. Cold winters vastly increases your risk of ischemic stroke and cardiovascular related death. Also, there's a reason they give out flu shots in the winter.

Think about it... the air you breathe in the Chicago winters could be 100 degrees colder than your body tissues. The air you breathe in a Dallas summer is not that much different than your body temperature.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:29 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,307,010 times
As far as really hot vs. really cold go, I always say that if your electricity goes out in a hot climate, you might be dang uncomfortable, but you're probably not going to die. In a very cold climate, if your electricity goes out and you're trapped in your home, you could be in some serious, serious trouble. It's also cheaper to clothe your kids in a warmer climate- no snowpants, no thinsulate ski masks, rarely even a pair of boots. T-shirts and shorts pretty much half the year, then t-shirts and pants for most of the rest of the year. Buy two sweaters and a jacket, and you're set!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:20 PM

346 posts, read 651,314 times
Well, actually you could die from extreme heat. In Chicago about 10 years ago, there was a bad heat wave and some old people died in their houses, because there was no air and they refused to open their windows, fearing people would rob them of their precious Ben Gay and whatever other "valuables" those young kids today are after. But, if you are stuck outside in either extreme, obviously the cold would kill you and the heat wouldn't.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 37,917 times
I'll say Dallas is better when it comes to the people are way friendlier, Chicago was ranked the "Most Stressful Town" in nation.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:27 PM

13,402 posts, read 22,505,446 times
Chicago is one of the neatest and classiest cities in the world. That being said, I could never live there. Its simply wayyyyy too cold in the winter.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM

36 posts, read 91,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eversearching View Post
Well, actually you could die from extreme heat. In Chicago about 10 years ago, there was a bad heat wave and some old people died in their houses, because there was no air and they refused to open their windows, fearing people would rob them of their precious Ben Gay and whatever other "valuables" those young kids today are after. But, if you are stuck outside in either extreme, obviously the cold would kill you and the heat wouldn't.
ROTFLMBO!!!!! That was a really bad summer for people who were homeless too. It's sad that some people died because they couldn't afford to pay their Comed bill, or were afraid that if they ran the AC (even on days when the temp was OVER 100 degress) the bill would be "sky-high". I'm back in Dallas now - just arrived yesterday. HOME SWEET HOME BABY!!! I Do NOT miss Chicago - especialyy CTA, but I will visit ONCE a year.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:56 PM

638 posts, read 853,018 times
I would prefer Chicago and at least for me it all comes back to density and walk ability. There is a great deal to be said for walk ability, and density. Dallas has nowhere near the density of Chicago nor DC for that matter (and arguably never will). Additionally speaking of skylines, Chicago's has been studied in an in-depth manner and has been consistently ranked as having one of the top most beautiful skylines worldwide. The current rankings for world skylines is Hong Kong, Rio, Chicago, and Miami. Dallas does have incredible architecture, however comparing the two is extremely difficult.
Speaking on density again, Dallas is only now beginning to address walk ability issues and has a long way to go (if ever) before it reaches Chicago’s miles of walk able neighborhoods. Dallas’s cheap and available land will always trump densification efforts. This in turn affects the viability and effectiveness of public transport. Now don’t get me wrong, I believe Dallas can and does currently have some walk able Dart accessible neighborhoods, however comparing this to anything in Chicago is a stretch at best. Population density falls off far faster in mass transit oriented Dallas nodes than within comparable Chicago nodes. One can truly live car free in Chicago, in fact many in Chicago will tell you owning a vehicle is a bigger pain than gain. Parking, parking, parking is the main issue within Chicago. Your always searching for it and it’s always expensive (try $24 to $30 dollars). It’s far easier to leave the car parked and hop a bus to the train. Compare that to Dallas the average of which I have found to be $10 to $15 dollars at the more expensive locations. The math does not lie. Let’s not discuss the return trip home where searching for parking near your home can exceed an hour in many instances.
Even comparing the DART system to CTA is disingenuous. CTA moves around 1.7 million individuals annually. Compare that to DART which barely moves ¼ that number at 228,300. Now again, I am not attempting to degrade Dallas however I find walk able compact cities far more interesting than suburban sprawl. Dallas is far more sprawling in nature and if that does not bother you then you should be happy, however if Michigan Ave, the Gold Coast, Chinatown, Wrigleyville, and Hyde Park get your engines going, then anything comparative within the Metroplex would be hard going. The two cities are completely different monsters incomparable in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas