U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 02:51 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,951,561 times

Advertisements

Probably about the same. Again it might be something for you. A lot of HOA friends of mine live in a beautiful and nice HOA neighborhood. Those people like it, more power to them. Most new homes here in Texas are in HOA communities, unless you have a home built or purchase an older home.
I LOVED my home in the HOA, but I couldn't sacrifice my sense of freedom for a nice house. So we moved down the street into another lovely home without the HOA.

My HOA was very, very lacks. Until a year after we lived there and a company came in and bacame the HOA controller. Usually it's the neighborhood board members. Well then It's spring time in Texas, it's raining every other day and lord for bid my flower beds have 1/4 inch weeds, very very small. Can't see from the road or even when you walk up to my door UNLESS you move my srubs and LQQK! So I get a notice to "Pull my weeds" and they will be back to check and make sure it's corrected in a week or I get "FINED" $25.00 per day until 30 days, then they hire "their people" to pull my weeds and charge me the going rate plus the fines.....now is that not crazy. I could see if my house look like the forcloseuer home 1/2 block down with weeds knee high...but noooo. That's just the beginning.

Enjoy Texas, it is a great place.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM

2,231 posts, read 5,584,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
I have no idea how Chicago is.

Texas Cons
Highest property taxes in the country
No, the property tax thing is a myth.

I keep pounding on this subject over and over, that Dallas-area property taxes are lower than other areas in absolute dollar amounts, and comparable to other areas in terms of percentage of annual income. They only seem high because the housing prices are low.

If you look at Cook county, Illinois, (Chicago), the median property tax is $3,419. This is 4.9% of the median income, which is $70,412.

In Dallas county, Texas, the median property tax is $2,713, and that is 4.3% of the median income of $62,593.

There is no state income tax in Texas.

By the way, the DFW metro area has plenty of opportunities to drink, dance and play, and otherwise experience what may be called a "misspent youth".

Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
No, the property tax thing is a myth.

I keep pounding on this subject over and over, that Dallas-area property taxes are lower than other areas in absolute dollar amounts, and comparable to other areas in terms of percentage of annual income. They only seem high because the housing prices are low.

If you look at Cook county, Illinois, (Chicago), the median property tax is $3,419. This is 4.9% of the median income, which is $70,412.

In Dallas county, Texas, the median property tax is $2,713, and that is 4.3% of the median income of $62,593.

There is no state income tax in Texas.

By the way, the DFW metro area has plenty of opportunities to drink, dance and play, and otherwise experience what may be called a "misspent youth".

I still think we pay HIGH property taxes, I don't read into the media or the average for home sales because all that right now is a blur. Bottom line you pay high taxes.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I still think we pay HIGH property taxes, I don't read into the media or the average for home sales because all that right now is a blur. Bottom line you pay high taxes.
Well, $1,000 a year is high, in my opinion.

Maybe some people think that our housing prices are high.

Bottom line, though... the property tax on a Dallas house is lower than on a Chicago house. You shouldn't be griping, you don't know when you're better off.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:24 PM

Not gripping, just stating my opinion....isn't that what this forum is for?

Old 04-24-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Not gripping, just stating my opinion....isn't that what this forum is for?
No. It's for people who are moving to Dallas and want to get some objective info on how the property taxes compare to home.

But hey, I guess it doesn't hurt if you want to blow off some steam...

Old 04-24-2009, 02:39 PM

70 posts, read 275,633 times
jer2911,

I was born and raised in Chicago, I moved about 3 ½ years ago to Dallas. I am like you I love Chicago very, very much but couldn’t stand the winters anymore. Chicago and Dallas are different, while Dallas does have some public transportation (DART) it is nothing compared to the CTA. To begin there isn’t a train that takes you to either DFW Airport of Dallas Love Field. The DART from what I’ve heard is going to expand but you know that it will take some time to finish, and even then I’m not sure that it will be as effective as the CTA. I guess depending on where you choose to work, live and play you will figure out if the DART will work for you. I live in East Dallas which I like very much, I don’t stay put so I’ve been to many parts of the Metroplex. If I didn’t have a car it would be very difficult for me to move around unless I stayed put in my neighborhood. In East Dallas you can walk to grocery stores, bars, restaurants but there aren’t many areas that are sidewalk friendly, and I have to say that in the middle of August I don’t know if you want to be walking around in 100+ degree weather.
Next point weather, still true today, I don’t care how hot it gets in the summer (I’ve felt 112 degrees) I love it. After all the snow and below freezing temperatures I’ve lived through the summer is a treat. I was at the Fort Worth stockyards last summer walking around while it was about 104 degrees, no big deal, to me. [/SIZE]
Shopping is good my favorite place is North Park Center, by the way you will find ton’s of shopping centers and malls around the Metroplex. There is an outdoor mall in Garland, Firewheel, and I think it is very nice, if you like Old Orchard you will like it there. There isn’t anything that would resemble the Magnificent Mile but shopping will definitely not be a problem.
One thing I have not gotten used to is restaurants, if you enjoy Chicago’s food you will miss it dearly here. I lived in Wicker Park and Logan Square and I was spoiled by having some good restaurants around. Cuban, Puerto Rican, Colombian, Spanish, Greek, Mediterranean, Mexican (not Tex-Mex), Thai, Japanese, Chinese, you know what I mean. Fast food like Portillo’s or you local gyro place, none here.
Still I enjoy living in Dallas, with so many cities around you can find something to do, somewhere to eat and not have to worry about giving yourself extra time to dig out your car in the winter.
Do you have any idea of what area of Dallas you would like to live in, are you looking to rent or buy (single family or condo).
After all this I hope you are still awake or still reading this, hope I haven’t dragged on forever.

Here are some links to the areas that are my favorite
Lower Greenville
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_G..._Dallas,_Texas
http://www.town-mall.net/restaurants...staurants.html

Knox/Henderson
http://www.citysearch.com/list/68168

Uptown
http://www.uptowndallas.net/

Old 04-24-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethewindycity View Post
jer2911,

[font=Calibri]I was born and raised in Chicago, I moved about 3 ½ years ago to Dallas. I am like you I love Chicago very, very much but couldn’t stand the winters anymore. Chicago and Dallas are different, while Dallas does have some public transportation (DART) it is nothing compared to the CTA.
Thanks for sharing your views, and I'm glad that you're happy here.

Actually, there is a train/bus connection to DFW airport on the TRE commuter line. There will be a DART rail connection to Love Field in about a year and a half via the DART Rail Green line.

Offhand, I'd agree with you, however... the DART system in Dallas is smaller than the CTA. In two or three years, however, it will be about twice the size it is today, when the Green and Orange lines come into service. If a visitor wants to live in Dallas without a car, and chooses a residence next to a DART station, he can get anything he wants via cabs or public transportation. I'm not saying you can access every possible block in the DFW area, but that the places you can go on DART give you virtually everything you'd want in a city.

It should be mentioned that the new Arts District theatres are coming on-line this fall, and the Dallas Performance Hall in another year or two. The Arts District theatres will be a pretty good resource.

You mentioned a slew of cuisines, such as Columbian, Greek, Mexican as opposed to Tex-Mex, Mediterranean, etc., and I'm a little puzzled. Dallas has plenty of that. Perhaps you meant that you don't find them all on the same block?

Old 04-24-2009, 03:20 PM

70 posts, read 275,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post

You mentioned a slew of cuisines, such as Columbian, Greek, Mexican as opposed to Tex-Mex, Mediterranean, etc., and I'm a little puzzled. Dallas has plenty of that. Perhaps you meant that you don't find them all on the same block?
I’ve been to 3 Spanish restaurants, Hola, Café Madrid and De Tapas, I don’t like them. My favorite place in Chicago is Café Iberico. Cuban food I found one place that is pretty good but it is in Frisco, way too far for me, by the way Cuba Libre is not Cuban. I’ve been to 2 Thai restaurants, Bangkok City and Royal Thai, I don’t like. Mexican there was Cuquitas on Henderson but they are closed. Have not seen a Columbian or Puerto Rican restaurant anywhere. I take back what I said about Mediterranean I like Fadi’s, the only problem is that it’s cafeteria style so you can’t really have a nice sit down dinner. Another place I really like is Fireside Pies and Gloria’s. Maybe with time I’ll find some more restaurants.

I have to say that in my opinion Dallas has a lot of potential of being a great city. I look at downtown and while it is very small compared to what I grew up with it has some very beautiful buildings and good walking areas. I go through there everyday and I get depressed when I look at how dead it is, Dallas really needs to revive its downtown. Neiman Marcus is already there, why not bring in more retailers, Macy’s, Dillard’s, Nordstrom, H&M, etc.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethewindycity View Post
I’ve been to 3 Spanish restaurants, Hola, Café Madrid and De Tapas, I don’t like them. My favorite place in Chicago is Café Iberico. Cuban food I found one place that is pretty good but it is in Frisco, way too far for me, by the way Cuba Libre is not Cuban. I’ve been to 2 Thai restaurants, Bangkok City and Royal Thai, I don’t like. Mexican there was Cuquitas on Henderson but they are closed. Have not seen a Columbian or Puerto Rican restaurant anywhere. I take back what I said about Mediterranean I like Fadi’s, the only problem is that it’s cafeteria style so you can’t really have a nice sit down dinner. Another place I really like is Fireside Pies and Gloria’s. Maybe with time I’ll find some more restaurants.

I have to say that in my opinion Dallas has a lot of potential of being a great city. I look at downtown and while it is very small compared to what I grew up with it has some very beautiful buildings and good walking areas. I go through there everyday and I get depressed when I look at how dead it is, Dallas really needs to revive its downtown. Neiman Marcus is already there, why not bring in more retailers, Macy’s, Dillard’s, Nordstrom, H&M, etc.
We might try a separate thread for restaurants... I think we had one a while back for Puerto Rican restaurants.

With all the Mexican immigrants in Dallas, I'd think there would be plenty of non Tex-Mex places. Nuevo Leon is one I like, and of course the Taco Diner chain is pretty unique. There's a small place in Snyder Plaza that has food like you'd find in Yucatan, but I can't remember the name. All in all, since Dallas is the 4th largest US metro (Chicago is the third), and it has a large immigrant population, especially Latin American, you might find some places you like.

Yes, Chicago has a large, densely populated shopping district, but I think that it's a holdover from the 19th century. 20th century cities like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix won't be developing that way. Yes, Los Angeles has a heavy shopping district on Rodeo Drive, but Dallas has developed a smaller, albeit similar high-dollar district in Highland Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas