U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2009, 03:47 PM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,583,888 times
Reputation: 539

Advertisements

For a Dominican, Cuban, Puerto Rican thread, try http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...rto-rican.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2009, 10:17 PM
 
81 posts, read 270,367 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethewindycity View Post
jer2911,

[font=Calibri]I was born and raised in Chicago, I moved about 3 ½ years ago to Dallas. I am like you I love Chicago very, very much but couldn’t stand the winters anymore. Chicago and Dallas are different, while Dallas does have some public transportation (DART) it is nothing compared to the CTA.......

Thanks so much for taking the itme to write all of this ilovethewindycity!
We would be looking at single family homes if/when we decide to move. It's still up in the air. I'm really liking all I keep hearing about Dallas though. I too just cannot stand the cold Winters anymore. This last Chicago winter was ridiculous. It started snowing in Oct. and it snowed two weeks ago. I think we may be in the clear now. But I just can't take it anymore. 7 months of snow. Aaaahhh! We can't get out of here fast enough-LOL!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2009, 10:59 AM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,583,888 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer2911 View Post
Thanks so much for taking the itme to write all of this ilovethewindycity!
We would be looking at single family homes if/when we decide to move. It's still up in the air. I'm really liking all I keep hearing about Dallas though. I too just cannot stand the cold Winters anymore. This last Chicago winter was ridiculous. It started snowing in Oct. and it snowed two weeks ago. I think we may be in the clear now. But I just can't take it anymore. 7 months of snow. Aaaahhh! We can't get out of here fast enough-LOL!
I just watched the ex-astronaut, Sally Ride, on the CSPAN channel talking about Global Warming. Maybe she wasn't in Chicago this winter.

I'd strongly advise the OP to quit Chicago. The global climate peaked in 1998 and has been gradually cooling since then, and the last 2 winters have been especially harsh. Several scientists in various countries predict that we are at the end of the 20 year warming cycle that occurred in the 80s and 90s, and we're returning to the bitter winters of the 1970's, or maybe even worse. The sun is very late on the transition from sunspot cycle 23 to cycle 24, there have been almost no sunspots for the last 2 years, we have cold weather on the globe and much crop failure and famine.

All in all, it's a good time to leave Chicago for warmer climates. Don't wait until the Chicago climate is completely untenable and there's nobody to buy your house from you.

Last edited by aceplace; 04-25-2009 at 11:26 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2009, 12:48 PM
 
81 posts, read 270,367 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I just watched the ex-astronaut, Sally Ride, on the CSPAN channel talking about Global Warming. Maybe she wasn't in Chicago this winter.

I'd strongly advise the OP to quit Chicago. The global climate peaked in 1998 and has been gradually cooling since then, and the last 2 winters have been especially harsh. Several scientists in various countries predict that we are at the end of the 20 year warming cycle that occurred in the 80s and 90s, and we're returning to the bitter winters of the 1970's, or maybe even worse. The sun is very late on the transition from sunspot cycle 23 to cycle 24, there have been almost no sunspots for the last 2 years, we have cold weather on the globe and much crop failure and famine.

All in all, it's a good time to leave Chicago for warmer climates. Don't wait until the Chicago climate is completely untenable and there's nobody to buy your house from you.
Oh wow, what fun advice. You have a bunch of interesting info.
Yeah, I'm ready to get out of here. I love Chic, but I'm done with the cold. We've started sending out my hubbies resume (I'm a sahm), so we'll see where it takes us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2009, 05:16 PM
 
122 posts, read 465,247 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
If public transportation in Chicago is so good, why does anybody own a car?

Here are car ownership figures from the Chicago Sun-Times:

Cars registered in the six-county region

...............................1990 1996
Chicago ..............1,047,499 1,107,653
Suburban Cook ....1,569,115 1,638,783
DuPage ................532,525 619,124
Kane ...................194,888 227,891
Lake ....................311,987 370,250
McHenry ..............114,843 148,186
Will .....................202,079 252,166

TOTAL ..............3,972,936 4,364,053

These figures indicate a 10% increase in car registration in Chicago, over just a 6 year period!

The most obvious answer is that many people in the Chicagoland area think you need a car to survive, just like Dallas.
While many people in Chicago may think you need a car to survive, in Chicago it is actually possible to survive without a car. In Dallas it is close to impossible to survive without a car. A lot of my friends who graduated from Northwestern are car less by choice. I know of no such people in Dallas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2009, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Downtown Dallas / Deep Ellum
52 posts, read 161,733 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokctx View Post
In Dallas it is close to impossible to survive without a car. A lot of my friends who graduated from Northwestern are car less by choice. I know of no such people in Dallas.
Here is one:
LIVING CAR-FREE IN BIG D
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2009, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Went around the corner & now I'm lost!!!!
1,550 posts, read 3,233,771 times
Reputation: 1232
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Well, $1,000 a year is high, in my opinion.

Maybe some people think that our housing prices are high.

Bottom line, though... the property tax on a Dallas house is lower than on a Chicago house. You shouldn't be griping, you don't know when you're better off.
I agree. I moved to the midwest near Chicago/ NW Indiana from Arlington, TX three years ago and believe me the property taxes are HIGH here compared to the quality of home you can purchase in Texas. You know "you don't miss the wate til the well runs dry" I complained also about the cost of housing in Texas when I was there but after leaving, now I realize how good I had it in TX. That's why I am moving back to TX and buying a home there. You also have to consider winter clothing and equipment you will have to buy which is not needed in TX, high gas bill to heat your home in the winter( last about 6 to 8 months) in Chicago area and you have to get up at least a 1 1/2 hours earlier just to prep your car to go to work because of the snow. And to be honest, people in Chicago are NOT as friendly but to my surprise you go to NW Indiana and you find the exact opposite.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2009, 01:44 PM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,583,888 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokctx View Post
While many people in Chicago may think you need a car to survive, in Chicago it is actually possible to survive without a car. In Dallas it is close to impossible to survive without a car. A lot of my friends who graduated from Northwestern are car less by choice. I know of no such people in Dallas.
If you don't know of any, it because your experience is too limited. I do know of some.

Using the DART rail system, the DART bus feeder lines, taxis, etc, you can find anything you want without having to drive, especially within the loop 12 boundary.

Is it impossible to buy groceries in Dallas without driving a car? No, live near a DART rail station and shop at a supermarket near a rail station. Can you go to restaurants and clubs without a car? Sure, get off at the West End station and walk to the House of Blues, or try other stations with tons of places. Is it impossible to get to work in Dallas without a car? No.

Yes, the CTA in Chicago is a better system, but the Dallas DART system is good enough, especially with the new Green line opening this fall and next year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2009, 03:11 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 18,267,698 times
Reputation: 9972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Dallas is a mildly urban city with mostly pleasant weather for 10 months of the year and two extremely hot months. Both places have a very upscale & sophisticated vibe.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Dallas has some of the worst weather in the country because it has the worst of both worlds; it has hot summers AND cold winters. Chicago has cold winters but at least they have nice summers. It's funny beause if you move to Dallas in the summer, you will be under the impression that their winters wont be bad becuase their summers are so hot and humid but suprise suprise, winter time comes and you realize that unlike Austin, Houston or San Antoni, Dallas actually has a winter meaning snowfall, hail, icy rain and strong wind. Dallas only has nice weather about 4-5 months out of the year. Dallas also has tornados. Their weather is so random. In winter for example, the weather can change by 40-50 degrees in a matter of days.

I strongly prefer Chicago over Dallas. Dallas is a part of the Bible Belt and the south regardless of its economic development. The majority of the population is Southern Baptist and many famous tele-evangelists are from there and they have that mega-church culture which is a little disturbing in my opinion. That culture is still very present and it's not very open-minded or progressive. Chicago is much more diverse and has the Midwest laid back nature to it. People are a lot nicer in Chicago than Dallas. There is a lot of racism that still exists in Dallas and it's not immediately present but when it comes to interracial relationships and kids playing with other kids, you wil see that racism manifest itself. I don't know, I just could see myself picking Dallas over Chicago. Yes, you absolutely need a car to get around Dallas. Remember, there is always some person willing to endure the extreme just so he or she can say they don't need a car as if they are trying to make a statement but Dallas is a lot like Phoenix in that it's one big suburbia and you most definitely need a car.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-26-2009 at 03:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2009, 03:37 PM
 
2,231 posts, read 5,583,888 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Nothing could be further from the truth. Dallas has some of the worst weather in the country because it has the worst of both worlds; it has hot summers AND cold winters. Chicago has cold winters but at least they have nice summers. It's funny beause if you move to Dallas in the summer, you will be under the impression that their winters wont be bad becuase their summers are so hot and humid but suprise suprise, winter time comes and you realize that unlike Austin, Houston or San Antoni, Dallas actually has a winter meaning snowfall, hail, icy rain and strong wind. Dallas only has nice weather about 4-5 months out of the year. Dallas also has tornados. Their weather is so random. In winter for example, the weather can change by 40-50 degrees in a matter of days.

I strongly prefer Chicago over Dallas. Dallas is a part of the Bible Belt and the south regardless of its economic development. That culture is still very present and it's not very open-minded or progressive. Chicago is much more diverse and has the Midwest laid back nature to it. People are a lot nicer in Chicago than Dallas. There is a lot of racism that still exists in Dallas and it's not immediately present but when it comes to interracial relationships and kids playing with other kids, you wil see that racism manifest itself. I don't know, I just could see myself picking Dallas over Chicago. Yes, you absolutely need a car to get around Dallas. Remember, there is always some person willing to endure the extreme just so he or she can say they don't need a car as if they are trying to make a statement but Dallas is a lot like Phoenix in that it's one big suburbia and you most definitely need a car.
Sorry to cross you, but I disagree.

Dallas has very pleasant winters. Mostly coolish weather with occasional cold.

No, Dallas has a pretty good mix of people from across North America nnd the world. And I don't seem to have the racial hatred for "southerners" that you do.

Sure, yopu can get along without a car in Dallas if you chose. The vast majority of adults in Chicagoland (and Dallas) choose to own a car, so I don't see transit in either metro as overwhelming.

Are people in Chicago "nicer". I wouldn't know, nor would I trust (or have interest in) your definition of "nice".

Is Dallas a smaller version of Chicago? I don't think so, I think it's closer in terms of urban character to Los Angeles than Chicago. Thank God.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top