U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 05:10 PM

70 posts, read 275,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Nothing could be further from the truth. Dallas has some of the worst weather in the country because it has the worst of both worlds; it has hot summers AND cold winters. Chicago has cold winters but at least they have nice summers. It's funny beause if you move to Dallas in the summer, you will be under the impression that their winters wont be bad becuase their summers are so hot and humid but suprise suprise, winter time comes and you realize that unlike Austin, Houston or San Antoni, Dallas actually has a winter meaning snowfall, hail, icy rain and strong wind. Dallas only has nice weather about 4-5 months out of the year. Dallas also has tornados. Their weather is so random. In winter for example, the weather can change by 40-50 degrees in a matter of days.

I strongly prefer Chicago over Dallas. Dallas is a part of the Bible Belt and the south regardless of its economic development. The majority of the population is Southern Baptist and many famous tele-evangelists are from there and they have that mega-church culture which is a little disturbing in my opinion. That culture is still very present and it's not very open-minded or progressive. Chicago is much more diverse and has the Midwest laid back nature to it. People are a lot nicer in Chicago than Dallas. There is a lot of racism that still exists in Dallas and it's not immediately present but when it comes to interracial relationships and kids playing with other kids, you wil see that racism manifest itself. I don't know, I just could see myself picking Dallas over Chicago. Yes, you absolutely need a car to get around Dallas. Remember, there is always some person willing to endure the extreme just so he or she can say they don't need a car as if they are trying to make a statement but Dallas is a lot like Phoenix in that it's one big suburbia and you most definitely need a car.
I'm sorry have you ever lived in Chicago or Dallas for an extended period of time?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 07:05 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,586,146 times
Here's some basic weather info about the DFW area.

The average December high is 57F and the average low for that month is 39F. The average July high, on the other hand, is 96F and the average low is 77F.

By contrast, the average January high in Chicago is 32F, and the average low is 18F. The average July high is 84F and the average low is 66F.

The January weather difference between Dallas and Chicago in the winter is more extreme than the summer weather difference. Especially since the average winter low in Dallas is warmer than the Chicago wintertime high.

My data is from National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report

Old 04-26-2009, 07:31 PM

2,231 posts, read 5,586,146 times
Dallas DART rail facts

DART rail has 45 miles of rail and 35 stations, many of them situated in relatively dense pedestrian-oriented areas. It operates as a rapid transit station to station service comparable to Chicago's CTA, although its vehicles are classified as light rail, whereas CTA is called heavy rail.

DART is also an operator of a 34 mile rail line called the TRE, between the Dallas and Fort Worth downtowns. It has a total of 10 stations. It operates as a commuter rail service comparable to Chicago's METRA lines.

In September of this year, DART will begin service on the first phase of its green line, another 2.7 miles and 5 additional stations, including revenue service to the Victory station. It will connect downtown to Dallas' Fair Park, an attraction which is Dallas' version of the Navy Pier in Chicago.

By september of next year, DART will complete the Green line between the northwest and southeast of Dallas. The completed Green line will contain 25 miles and 21 stations. The 3 DART rail system will then have 70 miles of rail and 56 stations. The line will have a station for Dallas' Love Field airport, which is Dallas' version of Midway airport.

Also starting in the year 2010 will be the new commuter rail line to Denton. This is also a METRA type service, with a full complement of stations.

The first phase of the Orange line to the business suburb of Las Colinas will begin its first phase in 2011. It adds 5.4 miles of rail and 3 new stations. By 2012, DART will add 3.9 miles and another 3 stations. The line will reach the DFW airport by 2013, but the exact route has still not be determined.

Meanwhile, Fort Worth is not standing still. It is building a commuter rail line from its southeast suburbs, through its downtown, and northeast to the DFW airport.

Other projects awaiting completion are an extension of the McKinney Avenue streetcar line into downtown, an additional DART rail subway line in downtown Dallas, an extension to the northeastern suburb of rowlett, and a new streetcar grid in downtown Dallas.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:40 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,660,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Dallas DART rail facts

DART rail has 45 miles of rail and 35 stations, many of them situated in relatively dense pedestrian-oriented areas. It operates as a rapid transit station to station service comparable to Chicago's CTA, although its vehicles are classified as light rail, whereas CTA is called heavy rail.

DART is also an operator of a 34 mile rail line called the TRE, between the Dallas and Fort Worth downtowns. It has a total of 10 stations. It operates as a commuter rail service comparable to Chicago's METRA lines.

In September of this year, DART will begin service on the first phase of its green line, another 2.7 miles and 5 additional stations, including revenue service to the Victory station. It will connect downtown to Dallas' Fair Park, an attraction which is Dallas' version of the Navy Pier in Chicago.

By september of next year, DART will complete the Green line between the northwest and southeast of Dallas. The completed Green line will contain 25 miles and 21 stations. The 3 DART rail system will then have 70 miles of rail and 56 stations. The line will have a station for Dallas' Love Field airport, which is Dallas' version of Midway airport.

Also starting in the year 2010 will be the new commuter rail line to Denton. This is also a METRA type service, with a full complement of stations.

The first phase of the Orange line to the business suburb of Las Colinas will begin its first phase in 2011. It adds 5.4 miles of rail and 3 new stations. By 2012, DART will add 3.9 miles and another 3 stations. The line will reach the DFW airport by 2013, but the exact route has still not be determined.

Meanwhile, Fort Worth is not standing still. It is building a commuter rail line from its southeast suburbs, through its downtown, and northeast to the DFW airport.

Other projects awaiting completion are an extension of the McKinney Avenue streetcar line into downtown, an additional DART rail subway line in downtown Dallas, an extension to the northeastern suburb of rowlett, and a new streetcar grid in downtown Dallas.
Aceplace Great post

Old 04-26-2009, 07:43 PM

Fort Worth Commuter line

https://www.commentmgr.com/projects/...ent_031708.jpg

Old 04-26-2009, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 24,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Nothing could be further from the truth. Dallas has some of the worst weather in the country because it has the worst of both worlds; it has hot summers AND cold winters. Chicago has cold winters but at least they have nice summers. It's funny beause if you move to Dallas in the summer, you will be under the impression that their winters wont be bad becuase their summers are so hot and humid but suprise suprise, winter time comes and you realize that unlike Austin, Houston or San Antoni, Dallas actually has a winter meaning snowfall, hail, icy rain and strong wind. Dallas only has nice weather about 4-5 months out of the year. Dallas also has tornados. Their weather is so random. In winter for example, the weather can change by 40-50 degrees in a matter of days.

I strongly prefer Chicago over Dallas. Dallas is a part of the Bible Belt and the south regardless of its economic development. The majority of the population is Southern Baptist and many famous tele-evangelists are from there and they have that mega-church culture which is a little disturbing in my opinion. That culture is still very present and it's not very open-minded or progressive. Chicago is much more diverse and has the Midwest laid back nature to it. People are a lot nicer in Chicago than Dallas. There is a lot of racism that still exists in Dallas and it's not immediately present but when it comes to interracial relationships and kids playing with other kids, you wil see that racism manifest itself. I don't know, I just could see myself picking Dallas over Chicago. Yes, you absolutely need a car to get around Dallas. Remember, there is always some person willing to endure the extreme just so he or she can say they don't need a car as if they are trying to make a statement but Dallas is a lot like Phoenix in that it's one big suburbia and you most definitely need a car.
There's no point in trying to argue with the regular posters here. They are not interested in helping nor objective reality.

Anybody with good sense can understand the nations(That's bigger than Texas for all you who never left home) number 2 city is in another league than a minor city, let alone one such as Dallas, Texas.

FWIW I found Dallas weather bad but because of the wind. Chicago's is also bad because of the same condition. However Chicago has a draw, while Dallas has.... well still trying to figure that out..

Old 04-26-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjb View Post
There's no point in trying to argue with the regular posters here. They are not interested in helping nor objective reality.

Anybody with good sense can understand the nations(That's bigger than Texas for all you who never left home) number 2 city is in another league than a minor city, let alone one such as Dallas, Texas.

FWIW I found Dallas weather bad but because of the wind. Chicago's is also bad because of the same condition. However Chicago has a draw, while Dallas has.... well still trying to figure that out..
Dallas Metro has added more residents than any metro area in the country since 2000 including last year. So Dallas has a draw.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:26 PM

81 posts, read 270,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjb View Post

I'm sorry, but I can't understand what you are trying to say here?????????

Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 PM

7 posts, read 24,036 times
Your original question is somewhat like asking if a high school football team has a stadium like the professional team. Dallas is a growing city with 'limited' things to offer, it cannot offer the opportunities or be accurately compared to a global city.

To be quite honest I found Dallas to be largely undesirable for long term living- except for its cheapness, and the people I run into (across the nation) seem to agree. But your experience may differ.

I once had a person from Chicago tell me there was no way he'd live in Texas. It struck me odd at the time. But now I know exactly why.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:52 AM

32,142 posts, read 50,425,602 times
I think one aspect people have not really considered in comparing the two cities would be their historial background...from my undertstanding...
Chicago was begun much earlier and was a viable centerpoint for trade that required real infrastructure much earlier than Dallas was...the era when Chicago went through the fire frankly allowed it to compensate for such damage by building with a unified plan and that happened when urban living allowed street cars and required walking...the automobile was not the mode of transportation...
Dallas started in an entirely different context/era and as such as evolved into a different city...
because of the Western heritage and types of business here--ranching/farming vs commercial trade--people were more dependent on their horses for transportation initially and that evolved into using the auto...
choosing the auto over mass transit worked because people needed to be able to go places that mass transit didn't...Dallas was pretty backwater town for years (some people would still say it is not very forward looking/planning even now) and just did not have the money/commerce/population that Chicago did...
makes a difference...
but Dallas county is so far ahead of Tarrant county with its mass transit planning/involvement--which is really a shame because the people of Tarrant could use a decent mass transit system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas