Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 05:35 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,049,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Evidence that makes me a liar? Uh oh... Master Poster someone just shot a personal attack.

DFW has the highest growth and for the reason I think I've said 100times.
Shalom.
Don't be so sensitive. The expression is a colloquialism that means "prove you wrong".

DFW has the highest amount of growth because the pulic regards it as a better destination than anywhere else. And there are as many reasons for its superiority as there are immigrants to Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 PM

122 posts, read 505,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
lets not forget, the #1 reason why people move to DFW is simple simple simple.

1. It's cheap
2. followed by jobs and business friendly environment

OUtside of those 2, the draw isn't much else.
D. Wong I think you hit the nail on the head. Beyond that there really is not too much that puts Dallas over and above any other city.

I personally do not think business friendly environment is all that it is cracked up to be. I think it is better to have good checks and balances in place so that you are neither too pro-business or anti-business.

Cheap is not always that great either. McDonalds and Walmart are both cheap and both quite popular. While some might consider them great because of that I certainly would not want to live my life settling for McDonalds and Walmart.

While I enjoyed the few years I was in Dallas, I am glad to have had the opportunity to live elsewhere so that I can really appreciate different life-styles and to realize that "cheap" and "work" are not what life is all about.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:09 AM

122 posts, read 505,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
DFW has the highest amount of growth because the pulic regards it as a better destination than anywhere else. And there are as many reasons for its superiority as there are immigrants to Dallas.
Unfortunately the quoted post is a great example of one of the key problems with Dallas. Its populace has this perverted sense of self. Any sort of criticism is met with hostility and irrationality. I had a fun time traveling abroad and to other states with my Texas friends because it was fun trying to get them try new experiences and eventually seeing them realize that the Texas way is not always the best way.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokctx View Post
Unfortunately the quoted post is a great example of one of the key problems with Dallas. Its populace has this perverted sense of self. Any sort of criticism is met with hostility and irrationality. I had a fun time traveling abroad and to other states with my Texas friends because it was fun trying to get them try new experiences and eventually seeing them realize that the Texas way is not always the best way.
I think the 4th largest metro in the USA, actually the 5th largest metro in North America, has many things that should reinforce the sense of self in itself.

We don't have to take seriously the mutterings of sociopathic trolls.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
D. Wong I think you hit the nail on the head. Beyond that there really is not too much that puts Dallas over and above any other city. .
In comparison with the 350 metro areas in the USA, Dallas has facilities and urban experiences that vastly exceed them. The exceptions would be NYC, LA, and Chicago.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:30 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,801,434 times
Quote:
Texans do broaden their horizon but why leave a state that offers everything you need. That is not arrogance or irrationality its a fact. Dallas by known means thinks that it is superior or better than any other metro, but we are not just gone let you degrade our metro area.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:19 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,577,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjb View Post
There's no point in trying to argue with the regular posters here. They are not interested in helping nor objective reality.

Anybody with good sense can understand the nations(That's bigger than Texas for all you who never left home) number 2 city is in another league than a minor city, let alone one such as Dallas, Texas.

FWIW I found Dallas weather bad but because of the wind. Chicago's is also bad because of the same condition. However Chicago has a draw, while Dallas has.... well still trying to figure that out..
I hate to burst your bubble...but Chicago is the #3 city in the USA. Los Angeles is the second largest city and has been for 50 years. "Second City" refers to the rebuilding of Chicago after the Great Fire, not the fact that it's the second biggest.

Chicago's wind and Dallas' wind are two completely different things. Chicago has cold, wet wind blowing in off of Lake Michican. Dallas has warm, dry wind blowing in from open plains. They feel very different. It can be very cold in Chicago in summer because of this wind, and it is regularly warm in winter in Dallas because of this wind.

But to call Dallas a minor city is to ignore the facts of life. Dallas has the cultural amenities of a world city. It is not as "cultured" as Chicago, but what is considered refined culture in Texas and the South is a little different than refined culture in Chicago and the North. Snobbery is frowned upon here.

If you think Dallas is a "minor city," I'd like to know what you think of such small towns as Houston, Atlanta, Nashville, and Miami.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:43 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,441,666 times
after last nights games I'm kind of worried Dallas might be able to beat Chicago if they play in the NBA finals. hehe

Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 AM

636 posts, read 1,910,899 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the quoted post is a great example of one of the key problems with Dallas. Its populace has this perverted sense of self.
I am constantly amazed at the hatred and envy displayed by people regarding the pride of place displayed by others. In these small minds, the only reason one could be so proud of where they live is ego, snobbery, or "perverted sense of self". This is true whether you're talking about Plano, Texas, or the United States.

It couldn't possibly be that people are so proud of where they live because it's a damn nice place...

Old 04-29-2009, 08:18 AM

81 posts, read 293,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
after last nights games I'm kind of worried Dallas might be able to beat Chicago if they play in the NBA finals. hehe

You are so funny! LOL! It's hilarious how you keep talking about sports while everyone else is debating. LOL!

Dwong and Aceplace are never going to be city-data friends. LOL!

Thanks everyone for giving such wonderful insight. I'm so excited to move to Texas. Dallas seems like a great city to plant my roots in.

Keep the fun info coming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas