Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM

12 posts, read 21,888 times

Advertisements

My family and are relocating to the denton area for job relocation. We have 3 small children 4, 5, 7 and would like to live in a small town kinda of feel. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 07:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,633,623 times
are you working in Denton--Denton itself is a small town when compared to Dallas or Fort Worth although it is growing and has some suburban feel to it...
check out the map--anything close to Denton is small and fairly rural/farm type country until you get to Trophy Club off 114--that is where the DFW metroplex starts to intrude...
price point is significant and school districts
many of the districts out that way are small--Denton is the largest one-- and most people would not rank them in top level because they do not have the facilities or scope of education that larger districts offer...
but there can still be good teaching going on--just not many national merit scholars or graduates that win scholarships to Ivy League schools...

Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,997 times
I live in Lake Dallas, the schools here are nice. The people are nice.It's outside of Denton

Old 04-25-2009, 01:51 PM

I'm not sure what part of Denton. There is an Aldi's going up soon and I'm not sure what part, all they told me was Denton. My husband and I have wanted to move out that way for awhile now. We currently live in Nashville, and the schools here are absolutely horrible, and I dislike the area. What about housing???? We would like to rent a house first for a awhile.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:09 PM

186 posts, read 447,810 times
Do you have any small towns around Dallas with an actual main street kind of feel? Less subdivisions and strip malls and more charming neighborhoods, historic homes- that sort of thing? It seems like everything there looks the same (not trying to say that's a bad thing, just my opinion!). Thanks!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:33 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,089,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4ThePaws View Post
Do you have any small towns around Dallas with an actual main street kind of feel? Less subdivisions and strip malls and more charming neighborhoods, historic homes- that sort of thing? It seems like everything there looks the same (not trying to say that's a bad thing, just my opinion!). Thanks!
A lot of cities are a mix of both. For example, in the southern suburbs of Dallas, you have cities like Lancaster, Waxahachie, and Midlothian that have quaint downtown areas surrounded by well-maintained historic homes. On the other hand, each city has experienced a lot of growth and are now dotted with the suburban-style subdivisions and strip malls.

Downtown Waxahachie
Historic Town Square in Lancaster
Downtown Midlothian

Old 04-26-2009, 07:40 AM

6,737 posts, read 13,948,125 times
Denton is a pretty old city so my guess is that they offer both charming/quaint neighborhoods and newer subdivisions. It has been a college town for years and there has been alot of growth in the area. I'm betting you will love the city of Denton.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks for all the help. What kinda of family activities are there? We are moving from nashville, what's the weather like. Does it get cold do you see much snow when does it start to warm up and get cold.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:54 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,408,666 times
We get snow or ice maybe one time a year. It's cold Dec-Feb, but not every day. It's HOT July through the first part of September. And when I say HOT, I mean your kids can't play outside unless they are in a swimming pool.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:44 PM

Thanks for replying back. Has anyone heard where the new Aldi's is going up at? Has been in the paper if so what paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas