Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:44 PM

30 posts, read 120,513 times

Advertisements

Well my husband is about to sign a contract working for the presby plano hospital and we will soon need to be moving in that area. He will also cover the baylor frisco hospital, presby allen hospital, and flower mound. We love castle hills for its central location but it's a bit pricey (higher taxes too.) So I am now considering Frisco. We ideally would like a home that it under/around $450,000, community pool/park (we have a 3 year old and one on the way), 3500 sq ft+ with open family friendly floor plan. Since my husband finishes his day at the plano hospital it is important that we find an area that is a comfortable commute (less than 20 mins). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 07:44 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Wow. First of all welcome to the area. Second, here is a link to a home that is in Frisco, but Denton county that my family and I were looking at, but it just didn't fit our commute time. It's a great home in your price range and only 20-25 minutes from Plano presby. More likely travel time in afternoon traffic is 25-30 depending on the time he leaves, but the home is worth it in my opinion.

2249 Sleepy Hollow Trail, Frisco, TX, 75034 - MLS ID#11093888 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Also, in that price range you could find some homes in the Willowbend area of Plano (just S. of Frisco), but they will go fast at that price. Frisco is a great area, very family friendly and lot's of ammenities. I think you'll like it.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 PM

30 posts, read 120,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post

2249 Sleepy Hollow Trail, Frisco, TX, 75034 - MLS ID#11093888 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Also, in that price range you could find some homes in the Willowbend area of Plano (just S. of Frisco), but they will go fast at that price. Frisco is a great area, very family friendly and lot's of ammenities. I think you'll like it.
Thanks for the info. I checked out the house before on a website-looks pretty nice. Yes, willowbend is on our list to keep looking at--that would be prefect if only the homes were a bit newer/updated.

We're also considering Castle Hills. Any thoughts on that?

Old 04-27-2009, 08:23 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Wow. First of all welcome to the area. Second, here is a link to a home that is in Frisco, but Denton county that my family and I were looking at, but it just didn't fit our commute time. It's a great home in your price range and only 20-25 minutes from Plano presby. More likely travel time in afternoon traffic is 25-30 depending on the time he leaves, but the home is worth it in my opinion.

There is a reason this home is cheap. I don't know if you are aware of it, but this home has a history. It had foundation issues and the builder was forced to purchase it back from the buyer. They added piers to it but they are not offering any builder warranty. The builder is also offering 20K allowance for the buyer to update the house. This is indeed a very nice neighborhood of Frisco.

In your price range, the possibilities are endless. You can be as picky as you want. There is lots of new construction from reputable builders, or pre-owned home. You may also want to consider West Allen such as the great community called Twin Creek. It would be within the commute you want for your husband.

Naima

Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 PM

4 posts, read 13,422 times
We live in Shaddock Creek Estates and love the neighborhood. It all depends on what you are looking for in a neighborhood. We knew what we wanted and Shaddock Creek fit that for us. I like that we can walk to the elementary school and the middle school and not cross any major streets. Good luck on your search.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 PM

77 posts, read 341,642 times
I'll second west Allen, Twin Creeks, Star Creek, Waterford, etc.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 PM

31 posts, read 106,236 times
Welcome to Texas. We just relocated to Frisco one year ago and absolutely love it here. Unfortunately for us, we have to move due to my husband's work - our house is on the market now.

Finding that right house is not easy and takes time. When we were looking we wanted a home by a good builder and one that would offer a decent commute for my husband. We found that in the Cobb Hill Estates homes by Highland. My husband worked in Plano down on Plano Parkway - he liked our location because he could just hop on the tollway or take the frontage road. Our home is 4,083 SF and I really hate to leave it as it has everything I ever wanted in a home. We don't have a community pool but that was OK with us as it keeps our association fees down.

Frisco is thriving and there are lots of things for the kids and family alike.

Lots of luck to you.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
There is a reason this home is cheap. I don't know if you are aware of it, but this home has a history. It had foundation issues and the builder was forced to purchase it back from the buyer. They added piers to it but they are not offering any builder warranty. The builder is also offering 20K allowance for the buyer to update the house. This is indeed a very nice neighborhood of Frisco.

In your price range, the possibilities are endless. You can be as picky as you want. There is lots of new construction from reputable builders, or pre-owned home. You may also want to consider West Allen such as the great community called Twin Creek. It would be within the commute you want for your husband.

Naima

From what I remember it did have some foundation problems, but they were all addressed and have a warranty on the repairs & for the foundation. Also, I don't remember the builder being forced to buy back the home. A lot of the homes in Frisco have foundation problems, including in Starwood. The best ones to actually buy are ones that have repaired foundations, as they have had their problems already addressed and still have a warranty after the fact as well if any further problems should occur.

Twin Creeks is a great area, but will be more than 20 minutes in afternoon traffic for the husband.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:26 AM

24 posts, read 111,386 times
Dominion at Panther Creek, off Eldorado between Hillcrest and Preston.
Darling and Grand Homes (not so high on Grand but Darling is stellar). City park in the middle of the sub with playground equipment, basketball court, pavillion.

Greenbelt lots available. Community pool and new Elementary school.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:24 PM

436 posts, read 1,613,529 times
hmmm... I know a lot of homes in west plano need some updating, but I'd try to stick to that area near the tollway, south of 121 if I were you, just from the commuting perspective alone. of course, it depends on what time of day your dh finishes his work and hits the road. 5pm vs. 7pm makes a huge difference when you are heading north to the frisco area.

several questions to ask yourself (besides commuting)-

1) how important is a community pool? lots of w. plano neighborhoods have community parks, but not pools. but the tom muhelenbeck center will beat them all, quality wise. Tom Muehlenbeck Center*

2) how important is it for a home to be move in ready? many plano ones would require some work, while frisco ones would be ready to go.

3) how important is the size of your lot. generally speaking, the newer the home, the smaller the lot.

4) does the school district matter? I think it's hard to go wrong with either frisco or plano, but they have some differences that would be worth considering

5) does traffic/congestion matter in general? some areas of town are busier than others. same with infrastructre and growing pains. frisco is still growing, and plano is basically settled.

6) does the "newness" of the neighborhood matter? or the relative age of the kids in the neighborhoods? generally, frisco will have more younger families.

not sure if any of this helps, but just some things to consider. for what it's worth, we lived in w. plano for years and were recently relo'd to another town. we did the established neighborhood thing in plano, and are now doing the new neighborhood. they both have their pluses and minuses. there really is no wrong decision between the two- it's just what would work best for your family.

good luck and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas