Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times

Advertisements

I just read a article in the Dallas morning news that Fort Worth ISD has closed its schools due to Swine Flu but Dallas ISD has not close it schools except for the ones infected.

Is this smart on the Dallas ISD part?

Dallas and Fort Worth swine flu reactions inconsistent | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Texas Regional News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/050109dnmetflureax.83760d4.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
who can say
I think FTW knows that it has large hispanic population that very well might have been in Mexico or around someone who was in Mexico since swine flu became prevalent (if you can say that it is prevalent at this point)...think they are erring on side of caution...I give them kudos for that...
most people don't know how difficult it is to stop in the middle of the week and before certain grades take TAKS tests...that was pretty brave of them...

Old 05-01-2009, 07:26 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
who can say
I think FTW knows that it has large hispanic population that very well might have been in Mexico or around someone who was in Mexico since swine flu became prevalent (if you can say that it is prevalent at this point)...think they are erring on side of caution...I give them kudos for that...
most people don't know how difficult it is to stop in the middle of the week and before certain grades take TAKS tests...that was pretty brave of them...
Agreed. We have the same population here in DISD and I can't figure out if Ft. Worth is overreacting or Dallas is underreacting. What worries me about this situation is that I often don't trust DISD to do the right thing. Shocking, right? It would be just like them to carry on as usual because of TAKS testing and the difficulties they'd face by canceling school.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
well TAKS is done--will be interesting to see what happens over the weekend
FTW stopping Mayfest was a big decision--that is going to cost money and be hard to replace unless Perry can get Fed approval to call what is happening a disaster and get some relief money
But, oh yea---I forgot, he wants to cut all ties with the US so we can keep our TX money at home...

Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
I honestly do not see the need to shutdown an entire school district because 1 kid MIGHT have it. They shut it down before it was even confirmed. Right now with the way things are going this is not the time for families to be thrown into a tight spot. The majority of the kids are not going to get this flu. The schools will not get funding for every day they don't have kids in school. Parents that are caught in a hard spot at work and might be on the verge of losing their jobs are going to be leaving young children at home unattended. At best they could be with a neighbor and a bunch of kids all staying in one house together and playing. Whose to say whatever houses these kids end up in to play are being sanitized properly. The schools and other public spots are now saying, "we are sanitizing the buses, equipment, everything....". Well why were these things not being sanitized on a regular basis BEFORE .

The people that will get this will still be out most likely in the public. If they need medicine or juice and such they are going to be at the store. Not everyone will have someone that can go get this stuff for them. Parents won't leave sick small children at home alone to go get them their medicine and oj. Besides, who is to say that the people caring for the sick person won't also be carrying the germs to transmit it from one person to another. In many of the cases even in Mexico where people have died from it there was no one else in their immediate family even sick or even got sick. Even the little boy that traveled to Texas......... no one in the family was sick at all nor have they gotten sick.

We get kids that have the "common" flu every year and half a school will be missing and no one closes it down. People die every year from those strains (36,000 in the US alone). We don't freak out over that.

I don't know. I'm okay with my kids being in school. There is no need to shutdown an entire district for 2 weeks. A lot of common sense can go along ways in this situation. I think it has been blown out of proportion myself.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:01 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I honestly do not see the need to shutdown an entire school district because 1 kid MIGHT have it. They shut it down before it was even confirmed. Right now with the way things are going this is not the time for families to be thrown into a tight spot. The majority of the kids are not going to get this flu. The schools will not get funding for every day they don't have kids in school. Parents that are caught in a hard spot at work and might be on the verge of losing their jobs are going to be leaving young children at home unattended. At best they could be with a neighbor and a bunch of kids all staying in one house together and playing. Whose to say whatever houses these kids end up in to play are being sanitized properly. The schools and other public spots are now saying, "we are sanitizing the buses, equipment, everything....". Well why were these things not being sanitized on a regular basis BEFORE .

The people that will get this will still be out most likely in the public. If they need medicine or juice and such they are going to be at the store. Not everyone will have someone that can go get this stuff for them. Parents won't leave sick small children at home alone to go get them their medicine and oj. Besides, who is to say that the people caring for the sick person won't also be carrying the germs to transmit it from one person to another. In many of the cases even in Mexico where people have died from it there was no one else in their immediate family even sick or even got sick. Even the little boy that traveled to Texas......... no one in the family was sick at all nor have they gotten sick.

We get kids that have the "common" flu every year and half a school will be missing and no one closes it down. People die every year from those strains (36,000 in the US alone). We don't freak out over that.

I don't know. I'm okay with my kids being in school. There is no need to shutdown an entire district for 2 weeks. A lot of common sense can go along ways in this situation. I think it has been blown out of proportion myself.

FYI, FWISD had "One" confirmed student and three "Pending" (waiting on results)students when they shut down the district. And six additional possible cases, totaling 10.

DISD had 11 possible case...nothing confirmed.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:05 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
FYI, FWISD had "One" confirmed student and three "Pending" (waiting on results)students when they shut down the district. And six additional possible cases, totaling 10.

DISD had 11 possible case...nothing confirmed.
Actually, the superintendent for the FWISD was walking in to give her press conference to shutdown the district when she got the confirmation that 1 DID test positive. They had already decided to shut it down BEFORE they knew for sure. It was just a matter of timing.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
well TAKS is done--will be interesting to see what happens over the weekend..
Yup I wonder how much of a TAKS issue it was. . .
Frankly it seems daft to tell us not to go to places where people gather and yet have us send our kids to school.
As to the schools stepping up sanitation - uh right - with 500 people in the building and others moving in and out at will how is a clean table going to help??
To an extent I do think FTW did over react but, honestly, without knowing the severity of what this Flu does it makes sense to err on the side of caution. I think we will all know more by the end of the weekend.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:43 AM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
I'm not sure but I heard it would take an act of Congress for Dallas ISD to close down! I know it seems like overreacting but better to air on the side of caution. But for an entire week? They can't sanitize in a day? Seems like they can be back in school by Monday.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
I'm not sure but I heard it would take an act of Congress for Dallas ISD to close down!>>

Pretty much!

I know it seems like overreacting but better to air on the side of caution. But for an entire week? They can't sanitize in a day? Seems like they can be back in school by Monday.

It's not just the sanitizing but also a chance to stop the spread...however many days it incubates plus time to get over it before exposing others to it. Don't know how well that would work considering working parents may have to put their kids in daycare, obviously another place it could spread. Teens probably wouldn't stay home, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas