Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:41 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Once again I will respond by saying that the mere existence of churches and religiously affiliated educational institutions in Ft. Worth, Dallas and Irving does not prove that the overall population of Dallas is majority S. Baptist evangelical. Were that the case, I really don't think that Obama would have won Dallas County. Besides, some of the very institutions that you listed are not even Baptist but are instead Disciples of Christ (TCU), Methodist (SMU) and Catholic (Univ. of Dallas). Your argument is just incoherent. I have asked you to prove the veracity of that statement before and you are never able to do so. Instead you deflect by saying that those who disagree with you are in denial. You're very adept at taking bits and pieces of information and packaging them in such a way that you come to a conclusion that supports your agenda. But you're very transparent. Based on your logic, the majority of people in Dallas must be gay since there are so many gay bars in Dallas. And, since there are also a lot of strip clubs, it's safe to assume that the majority of people who live in Dallas must be pole dancers too.
I think the largest single religious denomination here is probably Roman Catholicism, especially since we have had such a large influx of Hispanics here in Texas. Unless you count Protestants as a single denomination, I think Catholics are easily the biggest religious group here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 05:54 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think the largest single religious denomination here is probably Roman Catholicism, especially since we have had such a large influx of Hispanics here in Texas. Unless you count Protestants as a single denomination, I think Catholics are easily the biggest religious group here.
According to City Data and other places, you'd be correct.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:25 AM

13 posts, read 37,715 times
The Association of Religion Data Archives has the most complete estimates of religious adherence data; they show Catholicism and Southern Baptist (an Evangelical Protestant subset) as the two largest single affiliations in Dallas and surrounding counties. However, "unclaimed" (atheists, the religiously-unaffiliated, and members of unenumerated faiths, including AA churches) is consistently the largest single group, outnumbering Catholicism plus Evangelical Protestant.

It appears that the rate of religious affiliation in Dallas is comparable with other urban areas in the United States when viewed at an aggregate level. However, its Protestant affiliation, and Evangelical Protestant affiliation in particular, is considerably higher than many other cities, where high levels of Catholic affiliation are responsible for the majority of participation numbers.

Thus, it seems safe to say that, (A) religious participation in Dallas is no higher than most other cities; and (B) the affiliation of those participants is skewed more strongly towards Evangelical Protestantism than in other cities. Or, to put it another way, you're no more likely to run into a religious person in Dallas than anywhere else, but it's considerably more likely he/she will be an evangelical Christian.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewUrbanism View Post
The Association of Religion Data Archives has the most complete estimates of religious adherence data; they show Catholicism and Southern Baptist (an Evangelical Protestant subset) as the two largest single affiliations in Dallas and surrounding counties. However, "unclaimed" (atheists, the religiously-unaffiliated, and members of unenumerated faiths, including AA churches) is consistently the largest single group, outnumbering Catholicism plus Evangelical Protestant.

It appears that the rate of religious affiliation in Dallas is comparable with other urban areas in the United States when viewed at an aggregate level. However, its Protestant affiliation, and Evangelical Protestant affiliation in particular, is considerably higher than many other cities, where high levels of Catholic affiliation are responsible for the majority of participation numbers.

Thus, it seems safe to say that, (A) religious participation in Dallas is no higher than most other cities; and (B) the affiliation of those participants is skewed more strongly towards Evangelical Protestantism than in other cities. Or, to put it another way, you're no more likely to run into a religious person in Dallas than anywhere else, but it's considerably more likely he/she will be an evangelical Christian.
Interesting breakdown... thanks.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:45 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
According to City Data and other places, you'd be correct.
I would agree with that too. But, according to AZRIVERFAN, we're all just in denial.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewUrbanism View Post

Thank you for providing some much needed clarity on this subject. I looked up the website you referred to and found it to be quite user friendly: The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports

Old 05-12-2009, 11:09 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Having grown up a S. Baptist in Dallas I have to say that we in the moderate churches thought First Baptist was a weirdo cult. Then again others thought we were weird because we were 'Baptist'. Anyhow, most of the folks from my church who were there as youth are not regular church-goers today.

Even back in the seventies we elected a senior class president at my high school who was the 'agnostic' son of a shrink.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:00 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
I'm really starting to warm up to Dallas, think I'm going to visit in September & do a Dallas/Austin combo trip. When I went to Atlanta I did not run into the evengelical and flamboyantly hyper christian stereotype that Georgia seems to live up to. I figured Dallas is big and diverse enough to be an open and tollerant city but without the urban attitude that's found in the Northeast.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I figured Dallas is big and diverse enough to be an open and tollerant city but without the urban attitude that's found in the Northeast.
You figured right Be prepared for the heat if you come in September because it can still be as hot as hell at that point.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:11 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,977,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nope

Dallas is Southern Baptist, Houston & San Antonio are Catholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas