Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

The Chile Relleno and Bob Armstrong are tops at Matt's.

I like Mariano's for most everything.

Joe T's is the only reason to go to Fort Worth IMO but I had a great meal at Lanny's..

El Fenix Original in Downtown is best - sometimes downright astounding. NW Highway can be good - but I recently went to Belt Line location in Addison (don't ask!) and it was not very good - I know I am prejudiced but really, it wasn't.

Best "scene" is Primo's...I do like their tamales but they are nothing compared to La Popular. Enchiladas suizas are good there and it's about the only place I will order them besides Mariano's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 12:55 PM

81 posts, read 236,918 times
If you don't mind "slummin' it," there's a really good place on Butler Street, just North of Harry Hines, called Escondido. I've seen doctors from the nearby medical district eating next to vagrants a mere 5 feet apart, which makes for a different kind of people watching than you'll find at Primo's. Their fried beef tacos rate only behind Tupinamba's in that category. The Loon also has pretty good fried tacos, FWIW.

I usually hit up the downtown El Fenix before a Stars game. That place gets packed and it is scary how quickly the food comes out. I haven't ever had a problem with their food per se, but those guys definitely have it down to a science.

Another one that does a business in the 'burbs, Christina's, is worth noting.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:09 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Christina's is really good. Their Addison location is pretty close to where I grew up. However, it was nowhere near our first choice for Tex-Mex so unless we drove by it and were looking we never ate their.

I'm just glad no one has mentioned Mi Cocina or Luna de Noche. Talk about overpriced, bad Mexican food...

Old 05-11-2009, 03:07 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Christina's is really good. Their Addison location is pretty close to where I grew up. However, it was nowhere near our first choice for Tex-Mex so unless we drove by it and were looking we never ate their.

I'm just glad no one has mentioned Mi Cocina or Luna de Noche. Talk about overpriced, bad Mexican food...
Mi Cocina's margaritas will knock you on your behind, though!

Old 05-11-2009, 03:25 PM

I used to go to Escondido many years ago, I will be back! Also a bit down the road is Ojeda's - the last time I was there (about 3 years ago) it was awesome but believe it or not it was after the Greenville Ave. St. Paddy's parade so it could have been the circumstances.

Went to Tupi's after many years a month or two ago and loved it...

I miss the old Herrera's...now the Grapevine Bar..

Old 05-11-2009, 04:17 PM

81 posts, read 236,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I used to go to Escondido many years ago, I will be back! Also a bit down the road is Ojeda's - the last time I was there (about 3 years ago) it was awesome but believe it or not it was after the Greenville Ave. St. Paddy's parade so it could have been the circumstances.
Greenville parade followed by Ojedas was my exact routine this year. We were a sorry looking bunch by the time we got there. Glad they leave the pour bottle of hot sauce on the table, because it didn't stand a chance.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 PM

468 posts, read 1,886,363 times
I read where Avila's on Maple Ave. was recommended. I do agree, if you're looking for the proverbial hole in the wall Tex-Mex. My wife and I were there last Monday for lunch. She read a write up in the newspaper so we hunted it out. It's so small, if you need to go to the Banos (little Cowboy's room), you get to take a tour of the Cocina (Kitchen). I will give it 4 stars out of 5.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:50 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

Went to Tupi's after many years a month or two ago and loved it...

I miss the old Herrera's...now the Grapevine Bar..
I completely forgot about Tupi's (odd because I went to high school across the street), but their Tupy Taco may be the best taco anywhere on earth.

It's awesome if you can ignore all of the Aggie stuff all over the place!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Believe me (an SMU grad from SWC days who works with Aggie engineers) I make derisive comments about the Aggie artifacts..

Similar comments were made about UT at Casa Dominguez!

We used to have our PASF (high school Pan-American Student Forum) banquets at Tupi's when it was on NW Highway.

Re: El Ranchito on Jefferson in Oak Cliff - the building itself is a treat - it was designed by Charles Stevens Dilbeck.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,953 times
God, yall have no taste...

GO TO CHUY'S! Texas bred chain...the original one is in Austin where the Bush girls got caught for underage drinking

The flautas are FREAKING AMAZING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas