U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:51 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,030,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini1001 View Post
North Oak Cliff, eh? I'm getting the feeling that this is a pretty unique part in Dallas. And very large at the same time.

Any favorite pockets in that neighborhood? Any eclectic parts, where all sorts of cultures, architectures, peoples come together? Any especially diverse parts?

Thanks!
There are lots of unique neighborhoods within the part of SW Dallas that is inside of Loop 12. The area contains housing built in many different eras so you can find all sorts of architectural styles. Check out Winnetka Hts. for the largest historic district in the city. It's predominantly prairie style homes from the early 20th century. Wynnewood North is a beautiful area full of 1940's & 1950's ranch style homes. Other areas have large concentrations of tudors and bungalows. Old Kessler Park has beautiful 1920's mansions. The Bishop Arts District and the surrounding areas are probably the most eclectic. Are you looking for a neighborhood in which to buy a house? The prices can go from less than $100k up to about $2m depending on the specific neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 04:07 PM

342 posts, read 599,094 times
i would like to know the same too i lived in dallas for a while, and its pretty segregated i have the feeling that causcasions like living next to minorities, becuase their moving further and further north. so please tell me too what places in dallas thats mixed and not in the slums.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:15 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,883,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
i would like to know the same too i lived in dallas for a while, and its pretty segregated i have the feeling that causcasions like living next to minorities, becuase their moving further and further north. so please tell me too what places in dallas thats mixed and not in the slums.
Try as I might, I can't make much sense of this post.

If you're looking for an integrated neighborhood, read most of this post.

Many areas of North Dallas are integrated, but the housing is mostly Caucasian while the apartments are mostly minority. However, they aren't "slums" in any sense of the word.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:34 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,030,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Try as I might, I can't make much sense of this post.

If you're looking for an integrated neighborhood, read most of this post.

Many areas of North Dallas are integrated, but the housing is mostly Caucasian while the apartments are mostly minority. However, they aren't "slums" in any sense of the word.
I agree, it's all in this thread. SW Dallas offers the most diversity in my opinion. It's got ghetto, it's got rich and it's got everything in between.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:04 PM

342 posts, read 599,094 times
im sorry i meant to put, i have a feeling caucasions do NOT like living by minorites because from i see they try to live pretty far from the city and make up new neighborhoods. it seems like they getting further north, like rockwall, royce city, greenville, rowlett, plano, and etc. any further they going to be in okla. but i really dont see where the city have a good mixed racial area and the parts i see being thrown out there arent that mixed. thats sad.....

Old 05-20-2009, 11:04 PM

4,304 posts, read 11,122,584 times
There was quite a bit of white flight in the late 70's early 80's. That is no longer the case IMHO. Most people buy homes based on economics. The northern burbs have a larger white population because the per captia income is higher. This not to say there is no diversity because there certainly is. Places like Garland, Mesquite, Lewisville and others have lots of diversity. The innercity really does not offer much for the middle class. You have either low income or upper middle class area's to live. Now that North Oak Cliff is growing the middle class have some options. Before this you would be hard pressed to find a nice home in a nice neighborhood in the $125k-200k price range. I grew up in Dallas and it certainly is nothing like it was 20 years ago.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 AM

1,770 posts, read 3,564,016 times
Southwest Dallas around 20 camp wisdom ducanville rd loop 12 area Is diverse. White flight is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or