U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 03:58 PM

13,180 posts, read 12,688,351 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it's exactly "authentic" to a Indian food purist but Indian Palace is really good IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 04:25 PM

81 posts, read 207,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That is India Palace.
That's it! Good stuff.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:27 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Generation Dallas View Post
That's it! Good stuff.
I like it, some people don't, everyone's tastes are different. Luckily DFW has a lot more Indian restaurants than it used to so if someone doesn't like India Palace there are plenty of others to try particularly in Richardson, Plano, and Irving.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:50 PM

50 posts, read 164,262 times
There is a really good restaurant named Our Place - it is fancy on the inside but appears to be a hole in the wall from the outside. They have really good north and south indian cuisine. They are located at 635 and MacArthur (Valley Ranch). I personally think it is much better than India Palace - more authentic...

Old 05-17-2009, 10:27 AM

53 posts, read 224,003 times
The overall quality of Indian restaurants in Dallas is mediocre at best. I find the Indian restaurants here lacking in the taste department (compared to similar restaurants in SF bay area). Among the choices available here, Madras Pavilion in Richardson is worth a visit, especially i you're in the mood for a south Indian vegetarian buffet on the weekend. Chaat Cafe has good chaats as well. Our Place isn't too bad either. I haven't been to Bengal Coast yet but have heard its okay.

Last edited by sftransplant; 05-17-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-17-2009, 08:05 PM

50 posts, read 164,262 times
Bengal Coast has phenomenal food -- We got a gift card from someone and went back several times. HOWEVER, the food is good but definitely not authentic.. it is kind of a fusion/new wave flavor. I definitely agree about Dallas Indian food being mediocre-- I'm from Houston where the Indian food is on a whole different level.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 PM

4,172 posts, read 5,856,215 times
My Indian friends advised me not to look for both good south and north Indian food in the same place. S Indian places often cook really poor N Indian food.

For N. Indian food, India Palace (Dallas) and Iravat (Plano -near Central/Legacy) are good - mho.

For S Indian, Chetinaad (?) in Plano is good along with another one in Dallas (SE Coit/Arapaho?).

Best is to get invited to an Indian household

Old 05-17-2009, 09:46 PM

576 posts, read 1,584,111 times
As the board's resident Indian, here's the gospel on Indian food:

The best Indian food right now is currently at India Palace and Iravat. Iravat is outta this world, and my personal fave.

Bengal Coast and Clay Pit are way fusiony, if you're into that thing.

If you're ordering single dishes and not the buffet, Saffron House is also really good.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:50 PM

261 posts, read 1,379,636 times
Stay away from Udipi Cafe in Richardson. I never got such rude service. The waiter was too lazy to greet my wife and I at the door, he just pointed to the table we should sit at, never came by to pick up our dirty plates from the table or give us water, etc. Food was terrible too.

Kabab and Curry is a hit and miss. Sometimes its good. Other times the food tastes bad. I once asked the waiter why the food tasted different on that certain day, and the waiter immediately got defensive saying that the chef was off on that day .. and he went on to say that even they need a day off, etc. I dont understand why he got so defensive. As a customer, I am just asking why the food tastes different each time. But then again, the owner, or the owner's son, who walks around the restaurant floor like a security guard doesnt have any courtesy. If I am customer spending money at their restaurant, I expect good customer service- not give guests a cold shoulder. I dont know if its a lack of people skills on his part or what.

Ive been to Chettinad Palace in Plano and always enjoyed consistent quality in food and excellent service.

The Best Indian Food I have had in the Dallas Metro Area is India Garden in Garden. The food has always been very tasty, and the staff is very nice. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Robzherenow; 05-23-2009 at 09:08 PM..

Old 05-23-2009, 09:36 PM

9 posts, read 21,575 times
Roma Palace (Buckingham and Plano, next to Subzi Mandi) is very good. I'm no Indian food expert and I tend to choose "safe" entrees (i.e. tandoori chicken, paneer jalfrezi, chicken tikka masala) because I'm a novice. However, we had a group of employees visiting from India for several weeks and they went frequently and loved it. The staff will dial the spiciness up or down according to your preference - it isn't American bland for everyone. I even tried goat last time and I would definitely eat it again. Try their buffet and get a taste of several dishes.

I've eaten at the Roti Grill (Dallas location) once for lunch and it was okay. Wasn't blown away but it was good. Maybe if the prices were better.

Look in the Dallas Observer - some of the restaurants advertise in the restaurant section and sometimes have coupons. The local Indian grocery stores have local advertising magazines that also will have restaurant advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or