U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:09 PM

261 posts, read 1,382,580 times

Advertisements

I just had lunch at Maharaja Indian Restaurant in Plano today.
Appetizers were okay. The rest was bland and tasteless.
Terrible customer service too. I will never go back.

The owner/manager gave a balloon to a child in the restaurant. My 3 year old son saw it and he wanted one too. I asked the waitress for one and she ignored me. I asked the owner/manager for one and he started complaining about what trouble it is to blow another one up (with the helium tank) or untie it, etc.
I didnt want to hear that. If your giving out things to customers, and if Im a customer and I am paying money at that establishment, I expect the same.

I worked in restaurants before and know the importance of customer service. When service is good, customers tell a few people. When service is bad, customers tell A LOT of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 08:55 PM

168 posts, read 496,093 times
I know that it doesnt work for your geographic filter, but Mayuri in Las Colinas is quite good. You will rarely see non-Indians in there, which I consider to be a good thing. I work with several people who are recent to the U.S. from India and they all love it. They are how I found out about it. They have both South Indian (dosas, idlhi, sambar, upma, etc.) and North Indian (chicken tikka masala, etc.)...Its been there for awhile, and is associated with the same ownership as Sarovar in Austin, TX...which was the first of the two and started by Indian graduate students. Both very good.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:42 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,266,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichel View Post
I know that it doesnt work for your geographic filter, but Mayuri in Las Colinas is quite good. You will rarely see non-Indians in there, which I consider to be a good thing. I work with several people who are recent to the U.S. from India and they all love it. They are how I found out about it. They have both South Indian (dosas, idlhi, sambar, upma, etc.) and North Indian (chicken tikka masala, etc.)...Its been there for awhile, and is associated with the same ownership as Sarovar in Austin, TX...which was the first of the two and started by Indian graduate students. Both very good.
I second this. You can't go wrong with Mayuri.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 PM

82 posts, read 209,524 times
hey guys - havent checked this thread in a while I will try and give it a more thorough reading tomorrow. I have been to a few of the places mentioned. Kebab and Kurry, in my opinion, is really not that good. Our House in Irving is pretty good, I have been there a few times. Clay Pit is fusiony, I guess it's ok... Chettinad Palace I have been to once, and it was ok. Roti Grill - I have seen this place here in dallas, but it seems pretty expensive for the offreings.

Several years ago there was a place in north Arlington called Shusmi. I always thought this place was good, but I think they went out of business. Any information on them?

Unexpected - thanks for your "resident Indian" opinions. I will definitely try Iravat!

Old 07-05-2009, 01:02 PM

18 posts, read 52,554 times
This again is not in the specific area you are looking at, but Taj Chaat House in Irving (183 & MacArthur) has excellent indian food. You can get both individual dishes as well as "thaalis" (full course meal).

It is definitely lacking in terms of ambience, you order at the counter and pick up when it is ready and the food is served in disposable plates. But the food itself is excellent both in terms of variety and taste.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:25 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,935 times
+1 Iravat (Legacy/75 'chinatown')
+1 Mayuri (Las Colinas)
+1 Pasand (Richardson)

Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 PM
dgz

800 posts, read 2,926,834 times
I really like Chettinaad Palace in Plano. Mumtaz in Richardson is ok too.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:54 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,915,071 times
Hard to find a good vindaloo around here.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,568,317 times
I have been to India Palace at Preston & LBJ and MumTaz on Campbell in RCDSN near 75.

IP buffet = 9.95 and is quite good.

Mumtaz buffet = 6.95 also good, edge to IP but value to MT. Nice people too! They gave my son his lunch for free on his birthday!

No place beats London for Indian food though, probably not even Mumbai!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:26 AM

1,282 posts, read 2,988,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post

Kabab and Curry is a hit and miss. Sometimes its good. Other times the food tastes bad. I once asked the waiter why the food tasted different on that certain day, and the waiter immediately got defensive saying that the chef was off on that day .. and he went on to say that even they need a day off, etc. I dont understand why he got so defensive. As a customer, I am just asking why the food tastes different each time. But then again, the owner, or the owner's son, who walks around the restaurant floor like a security guard doesnt have any courtesy. If I am customer spending money at their restaurant, I expect good customer service- not give guests a cold shoulder. I dont know if its a lack of people skills on his part or what.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Kebab N Kurry...we've been going there since I was a kid (at least 20 years!)...and I am still a big fan! We are ALWAYS greeted warmly by the staff and owners...one of the other reasons we love it (besides the food) is the mom & pop (or I guess in this case, pop and son) feel to it. I agree that the food sometimes is a little differerent from night to night (but always still good)...depending on who the chef is that night...but I think that is overall a good thing....not so formulaic. That being said, I tend to order one of my favorite three dishes (unless we are at the buffet, then I have a little of everything)...so many just those are good! haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or