U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:34 AM

6 posts, read 2,423 times

Advertisements

I think that NTTA has gone a step farther and is making up toll users. My story is similar to some of these others in that we received a bill for $13.68 from NTTA ($3.68 toll and $10 fee) showing a picture of our Chrysler's license plate. It was a leased vehicle so the letter was sent to CCAP (Chrysler Credit) at our address. I thought nothing of it since we don't use the toll way. We figured they would fix it.
_
So a month went by and another bill received, this time with another charge for $4.95 and a $25 fee so now the bill is $43.63 and is again to CCAP. So I called NTTA and asked them what was going on. They looked it up apparently and said that we had used the TeXpress lanes somewhere on the 8th of Oct 2016 and the 3rd of Jan 2017. After I got off the phone with them, I checked with my spouse and we determined that we needed the video showing our vehicle, so I sent them an email and asked for the videos, locations and on/off times. They claimed that I was not the vehicle's owner of record so they couldn't send it to me.
_
After some back and forth, they finally sent it to my spouse (who also is not the registered owner, at the time it was still CCAP , though we purchased the car shortly after that). We looked at the videos and the vehicle in the video appears to be our vehicle, but the times that were on the Oct 8 entrance to their toll road was 8:30 am - we live at least an hour from there which means we would have had to leave here at 7:30 am to get there. We are over 70 years old and have no reason nor inclination to drive through Dallas traffic at that hour so we know this is bogus. They actually have three instances where our car was 'seen' by their cameras that morning spaced apart by only a few minutes traveling down Sam Rayburn or somesuch where even in our wildest dreams we would not go.
_
The other instance shows our car 'entering' a toll road on Jan 3, 2017 at around 7:00 pm. I knew this one was bogus the minute I saw it. That was a Tuesday, the second day after the new year. We can say unequivocally that the car was parked in our garage all day that day.
_
So I came to the conclusion that somebody is fraudulently using their system to cause improper taxation of Texas residents. Either that or someone is going to great extent to fake our vehicle. I think that someone with access to NTTA computers has taken untimestamped videos of our car obtained from Denton (my guess) cameras and inserted them into the database where this is taken from (they might have taken them directly from the Denton system as it looks like they control both). The picture does not show the area, but I am pretty sure (60-70%) that I recognize some of the intersections where my spouse travels in Denton. The videos from the Denton cameras are supposed to be on a different database with markings like 'date of violation' and such which leads me to believe this is how it was done because the videos that they sent have the same terminology when, of course, these were not 'violations'. How absolutely easy it is for them to create the desired videos which almost any court will accept blindly. The word of the people involved is worth nothing.
_
There is so little that a person can do to prove your innocence in a case like this. So most people just pay the bill. But the legislature, back in 2009, recognized that they had given too much power to 'Big Brother' I found out yesterday. Apparently nothing has been done about NTTA, though NTTA has honed their fraudulent methods to a fine edge. Since then I have found Watchdog and a web site setup to start a class action suit. I hope you will take the time and look at their web page (search on NTTA class action).
_
But the story gets worse. after I had told the NTTA customer service that these instances are bogus, I contacted the NTTA ombudsman to state our case, . The ombudsman took all of an hour and virtually stamped the approval on this fraud. In this mix somewhere, one of them told us that the NTTA does not verify what the TeXpress tells them, they are only doing the billing. How's that for passing the buck? I wrote back to them what I thought of their system, but never heard back from them.
_
As I can see by the horror stories, the Texas Dept of Transportation has created a monster with almost unlimited powers of taxation in that they have access to people's business and travel almost unimpeded as they perform their 'duties' as a collection agency for the state. Talk about 1984.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 12:59 PM

165 posts, read 106,809 times
Just ignore it, it'll fall off your credit report in 7 years. Never acknowledge it.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:14 PM

372 posts, read 277,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iberanon View Post
Just ignore it, it'll fall off your credit report in 7 years. Never acknowledge it.

That's solid financial advice 🙄

Old 02-18-2017, 08:15 PM

4,304 posts, read 11,124,327 times
Quote:
False, they will put a hold on your car registration until the bill is paid. The NTTA is are legal mobsters.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
False, they will put a hold on your car registration until the bill is paid. The NTTA is are legal mobsters.
You'll be fine in a few counties, eg: Collins, they ignore it. But really they should stop wasting billions on high speed rail and turn the toll road free instead.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:05 AM

7,283 posts, read 8,116,246 times
Quote:
You'll be fine in a few counties, eg: Collins, they ignore it. But really they should stop wasting billions on high speed rail and turn the toll road free instead.
1. What's "Collins"?
2. High speed rail between Dallas, College Station, Houston, Austin etc. is utterly different than making local tollways free.
3. Maybe it's time for some decaf?

Old 02-19-2017, 03:57 PM

Collin County and a few others will renew your vehicle registration always. There is no need to pay those unconstitutional camera fees if you live there.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:09 AM

312 posts, read 545,887 times
Only "habitual violators" get such severe reactions as registration holds. A habitual violator is someone with at least 100 toll violations within a one-year period. I think this is reasonable, because we should penalize those who refuse to pay their tolls, but the toll authorities have a record of making mistakes and refusing to correct them. A definition requiring a reasonably high number of unpaid tolls will filter out almost anyone who simply got caught up in the misfortune of being wrongly billed.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:06 AM

Well, sorry to say that we did not heed the advice given above and paid the bill, over $53 - they allowed me to pay $20 on account in case it happens again. I told them that if it happened again, they would definitely be in trouble. I doubt it will happen again. We avoid these areas like the plague, so I am pretty confident that I am correct in my 'guessed allegation'.

But they really have a scam going - it is unbelievable that after the legislator recognized the problem in 2009, nothing was done about it. Oh, and how about the ombudsman and the trickster lawyers that make a big living off the toll scam.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
As I understand it, they make you appear in front of a Justice of the Peace. Then they fine you (kangaroo court style - they are just waiting to hear what new reasons that you can come up with) and make you pay double. They claim that they don't for so few, but they sent ours to the collection agency after the third late notice and we had already paid it. So I guess we'll go around on that for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or