U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 07:07 PM

27,436 posts, read 44,934,740 times

Advertisements

my son had a violation and because he moved the notice was delayed--then there was the fine--then there was the penalty--
got bill for over 600 from the collection agency--he called the toll authority and spoke with someone and just flatout told them he was not paying that jacked up penalty for just a few tolls--
he agreed to pay the fines and gave them like 35 bucks--also had an old address they were sending mail to--not his DL address or the one on his Zip account--but one from couple of years ago...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 21,057 times
Calling them is good, but stopping in and seeing them may be more effective.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,359 times
ntta is just big business. the city of dallas is probably getting it's cut. (not innocent). of all the criminals and the complaints of not enough police officers to handle all the crime , and wanting more pay raises, they have time to arrest law-abiding, tax-paying, hard-working citizens, because they live from pay check to pay check.[at least the majority of us do. ]does the mayor get a toll bill in the mail? how about the police chief ? you pay t0 get on - pay every 1ooo ft. of travel and then have to pay to get "OFF"? they have the audacity to draft it from your account. please. next thing you know we'll be paying to breathe air . what are administrative fees for ? Is this a joke ? not like they really are doing anything other than what they normally do. suck funds from you account. BLAH !! i have decided not to use the tollway unless it is life or death . we all just need to take our time and leave early enough to get where we are going. if everyone would stick together we can control this . (at least bring the fees into a compromise. they should appreciate our business, and not act as though they're our life's blood. people still have the power ,if we stick together and organize. P.S. keep not using the tollway, you'll still get to work and back home.(or else stop complaining.)

Old 07-30-2010, 09:17 AM

27,436 posts, read 44,934,740 times
we knew we had some tolls on the newer section where there are no pay-booths--and waited to get notice of the charges via our tags--
our addresses have always been current
got nothing--went in to satellite office and got toll tags for both cars--no history of late tolls on that system
waited--no mailouts--
that was in February
then this past week--we got two letters
one from the toll road system in Austin showing my husband's tag and asking for under $6 in tolls--no fines although one of the charges was pretty late--like in 09 and there were couple in 2010
he sent the check--no problem

then we get a notice from local NTTA asking for over $300 mainly in fines for non-payment for like 3 days of tolls--one in 09 and two in 2010 just before we got the toll tags in Feb--
it had taken THEIR toll system 5 months to cycle through and send us a notice ...
called and spoke to nice customer service clerk--no problem
she deleted the fines and took the tolls out of my NTTA account as we talked--
I was pretty surprised that it was as effortless a process after reading/hearing lots of complaints about the system...
I don't agree that having toll roads for roads we have already paid for with bond money and taxes is great--and I really think their software system is seriously deficient
but they have been working on their customer service presence--so I give them kudos for that...

Old 07-30-2010, 09:34 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,443,565 times
Been there done that NTTA is modern day highway robbery.

So if you now have a bill (that was over due) and is eXTREMELY high due to "fees" CALL then now! Ask to speak to a supervisor (esp if you already mailed the original bill). Tell them that you just realized the bill was late, was on vacation etc... you are willing to pay the "TOLL charges" today (over phone with credit card if necessary) BUT you want the "fee's" taken off. Keep your cool, if they won't take the fee's off ask to speak to that person supervisor etc...

It only took me 10min on the phone to get the $300 bill back down to just the the $14 in toll fees.

Lesson learned IF I used the toll (rarely) then I am on hte lookout for that NTTA bill and pay it the day it comes in.... (If you are really strapped for cash like the other poster...then I hate to say it but use a credit card. the fee's are WAY lower than NTTA)

I avoid the TOLL road at all costs. It irks me to no end that they do not have an automated cash booth for those who only use it 1 or 2 times a year.

The phone number for ZipCash is a joke, I entered my number and it keep telling me it wasn't a valid account number etc...

Old 07-30-2010, 09:59 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
Well guess what? There's some van that has the same letter/number combination on the tags as my 1966 Mustang with antique plates (yes, it's registered). I got a big bill with the van picture - they looked it up and I asked, "that's obviously not a 1966 Mustang, right?"

Old 07-31-2010, 08:55 AM

2,119 posts, read 5,486,895 times
The NTTA are a bunch of crooks. I give them about $80 per month unfortunately.

And I have had a $800 bill before I got my toll tag but a quick phone call and paying $17 solved that problem.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,219 times
Default NTTA Scam

I'm worried about my toll bill turning into a warrant as well as the other people who have been arrested without receiving a notice in the mail. I don't use the tollway much, so I don't have a tag and just pay it when it comes in the mail. I want a tag, but can't get one now. I received my usual toll bill in the mail and tried to pay it. I sent a money order and they sent it back saying they had sent it to collections because it was late. It was only two weeks late when I sent it. I even put an extra two dollars, as the bill stated to do if was late, just in case it would be late. The bill was for, for some reason, two months worth of toll's. Total dollar amount,$68.00. Then the collections agency say's it's now $500.00. Now it is over $1500.00. By the time it goes to court, it will be over 10 grand.The return date on the letter of the returned money order is still before the due date on the original first payment. I have another vehicle under another name that I use every week on the tollway under another name, and it gets paid on time as well. The most recent bill is just now for July. It is so far behind, that I can't remember if the dates are correct.Their billing center issued a statement on the news a few months ago saying that there IS a problem in that department. How can they get away with arresting people when they have admitted their billing system is flawed?It has been 8 months now and I haven't received any other letters from anyone. I am a single parent and was recently was laid off from my job and I am taking care of my mother who is a heart patient here at my house. If I get arrested for this, and go to jail and lose my kids and mother for the NTTA having a flawed billing system,I will be out of luck. They are the only family I have and they can't get me out of jail and have no one to take care of them. How can the NTTA get away with price gouging people with the economy the way it is? I tried to pay the bill. On time. I have no problem paying the bill with or without a late fee. But several thousand dollars just for a $68.00 toll fee.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:25 PM

164 posts, read 449,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn4289 View Post
I have no problem paying the bill with or without a late fee. But several thousand dollars just for a $68.00 toll fee.
I paid $300 in late fees when I moved to Dallas in 2007 for about $15 worth of tolls. After that I bought toll tags and linked them to my credit cards although I really hated that they always charge upfront not afterwards.... I always have at least $20 being held in the account...but it's way better than paying those ridiculous late fees..

TTC News Archives: NTTA spends at least $35 million in staff salaries and postage to administer its billing system.

Maybe you could seek help from your local state senator and try to negotiate the late fees. It's quite ridiculous. From the link above, you could also contact senator Jane Nelson

Quote:

"Watchdog alert Nelson needs ammunition to take on the authority. Send ideas, stories and comments to Jane.Nelson@senate.state.tx.us or Senator Jane Nelson, P.O. Box 12068, Austin, TX 78711."

Old 10-03-2010, 10:28 PM

164 posts, read 449,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
And I have had a $800 bill before I got my toll tag but a quick phone call and paying $17 solved that problem.
Wow...how did you get them to lower the bill? I tried but they wouldn't even reduce 1 cent off the $300 late fees. That was in 2007...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or