Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:26 AM

931 posts, read 2,133,947 times

Advertisements

The leeches that the NTTA turn the collections over to are only there to collect fines that is how they make their money. I suggest that you bypass the collectors and go straight to the NTTA. I sold a car filled the paperwork and sent the notification to Austin and when NTTA tried to collect from me I referred them to that they looked it up and dismissed it from me.

How can someone who sends out wrong bills, mails to wrong addresses only mails out a bill when they feel like get away with this mayhem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 11:07 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Nearly all of these "problems" are non-issues for those who link a credit card or pre-pay into an NTTA account.
I don't link anything to my bank accounts. Linking to a credit card is snap.

IMO NTTA should ween non-account holders out of the system or charge casual users much more. It's a bad bet when a few percent of a "businesses" customers generate most of its day to day billing/collection issues.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:25 AM

6 posts, read 10,764 times
EDS has good observations. I like your thoughts too Trae713. Glad we all want to pay and appreciate a good road. Many thousands of Occasional Users would still would like a Change Box so we can pay and be done with it. The inconvenience and complexity of paying a nominal toll is outrageous. Occasional Users might cast a vote to the NTTA by using the tollway, exit immediately, go to the local NTTA office, ask to pay on the spot for that specific use. Choose a $.35 toll spot to make it really cheap. At the time you are there, hand a letter addressed to the head of the NTTA to ask for a Change Box to be installed. Do that over and over when you can. Get a few friends involved. If thousands of nice peaceful intelligent people showed up in the NTTA offices, they might get the idea that we want a Change Box. There are substantial benefits to changing the current Complex Billing System. The last report I read indicated there were about $92,000,000.00 of unpaid tolls. Someone does not like getting bills huh? One benefit: If the Change Box is returned, then non payers can really be seen as thieves. Right now they are only non payers, although some (but not all) are really theives. I hope to hear your opinions. City-Data Rocks!!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:07 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerold Plumb View Post
EDS has good observations. I like your thoughts too Trae713. Glad we all want to pay and appreciate a good road. Many thousands of Occasional Users would still would like a Change Box so we can pay and be done with it. The inconvenience and complexity of paying a nominal toll is outrageous. Occasional Users might cast a vote to the NTTA by using the tollway, exit immediately, go to the local NTTA office, ask to pay on the spot for that specific use. Choose a $.35 toll spot to make it really cheap. At the time you are there, hand a letter addressed to the head of the NTTA to ask for a Change Box to be installed. Do that over and over when you can. Get a few friends involved. If thousands of nice peaceful intelligent people showed up in the NTTA offices, they might get the idea that we want a Change Box. There are substantial benefits to changing the current Complex Billing System. The last report I read indicated there were about $92,000,000.00 of unpaid tolls. Someone does not like getting bills huh? One benefit: If the Change Box is returned, then non payers can really be seen as thieves. Right now they are only non payers, although some (but not all) are really theives. I hope to hear your opinions. City-Data Rocks!!
After spending millions on taking down toll booths and going all electronic (got to cut some payroll expenses), I doubt they would add any back. DFW Airport will be the only one. It would be nice to have a mix though. Houston has a mix where some tollways are all electronic, and others are mixed (more heavily traveled ones at that).

Old 08-09-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
After spending millions on taking down toll booths and going all electronic (got to cut some payroll expenses), I doubt they would add any back. DFW Airport will be the only one. It would be nice to have a mix though. Houston has a mix where some tollways are all electronic, and others are mixed (more heavily traveled ones at that).
And the Houston mixed (credit/hard money combo) thing sucks bad esp. Beltway 8.

Paying cash is just too slow and unsafe relative to no booths and all electronic means.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Non-payers are thieves in most cases right now.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:34 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
And the Houston mixed (credit/hard money combo) thing sucks bad esp. Beltway 8.

Paying cash is just too slow and unsafe relative to no booths and all electronic means.
Not really. Sometimes the cash lanes can get long during busy times, but the toll tag lanes are flying. Not to mention there is a set price on all tolls that involve cash booths. Electronic ones like Westpark have varying toll prices.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:43 AM

6 posts, read 10,764 times
I can see EDS_ point when you say Non-payers are thieves in most cases right now. There is no doubt there are some out- right theives in this pot. However there are some folks you can't put in that category. I spoke to an elderly man on the Offenders List, printed by the NTTA and he lives out of state. A relative used the vehicle. Is that man a thief? He is retired and lives many miles away. He was embarrassed by people who contacted him and told him they saw his name on the internet. He got his first notice a year and a half after all of the "violations". If he got the notice a year and a half late, just what is he responsible for? If he tried to work with the NTTA to settle and they refused, does that make him a thief? Does he deserve to be put on the list? Trae713 has a good point that if the change boxes were put up, people could still choose to use their tags or get in line. Calling someone a thief or publishing their name may also expose the NTTA to liabilities. Frankly, with the number of complaints I have seen from consumers I am surprised they have not been sued for some liable of defamation. The NTTA is reckless with their billing and collections activities in my opinion. The NTTA is authorized by state law, however I've been in business long enough to know that poor decisions about how you extend credit is irresponsible and wreckelss. It ruins businesses. I still prefer a Change Box so we who wish can pay and be done with it. I look for ward to your feed back. City-Data is terrific!!

Old 08-10-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I can see EDS_ point when you say Non-payers are thieves in most cases right now. There is no doubt there are some out- right theives in this pot. However there are some folks you can't put in that category. I spoke to an elderly man on the Offenders List, printed by the NTTA and he lives out of state. A relative used the vehicle. Is that man a thief? He is retired and lives many miles away. He was embarrassed by people who contacted him and told him they saw his name on the internet. He got his first notice a year and a half after all of the "violations". If he got the notice a year and a half late, just what is he responsible for? If he tried to work with the NTTA to settle and they refused, does that make him a thief? Does he deserve to be put on the list? Trae713 has a good point that if the change boxes were put up, people could still choose to use their tags or get in line. Calling someone a thief or publishing their name may also expose the NTTA to liabilities. Frankly, with the number of complaints I have seen from consumers I am surprised they have not been sued for some liable of defamation. The NTTA is reckless with their billing and collections activities in my opinion. The NTTA is authorized by state law, however I've been in business long enough to know that poor decisions about how you extend credit is irresponsible and wreckelss. It ruins businesses. I still prefer a Change Box so we who wish can pay and be done with it. I look for ward to your feed back. City-Data is terrific!!

Short of an auto being stolen one is more or less fully responsible for what happens to all vehicles in ones name. That's just how it is.

IF, the older gentleman his statment a year and half late he is responsible to pay the bill. Also I've had too many interactions with NTTA to believe they won't work with people. Unless they think someone is cheating them in a wholesale manner they are really cool and always have been.

You may prefer some sort of cash box and I do see some value in that notion. That is totally outweighed by the cost to install and maintain something like that. Not to mention safety issues.

I remember vividly the man-made traffic jams at all NTTA booths not that long ago. Any movement towards some sort of cash option is a big step backwards IMO.

phone post excuse the typos........

Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Not really. Sometimes the cash lanes can get long during busy times, but the toll tag lanes are flying. Not to mention there is a set price on all tolls that involve cash booths. Electronic ones like Westpark have varying toll prices.

Thanks for that. I'd ask you next time you are in Dallas cruise up the NDT and see if it isn't even better in terms of traffic flow.

I'l be donwn there most of next week and using Belway 8 a lot. I'll revise my opinion if warrented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas