Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 AM

45 posts, read 205,543 times

Advertisements

We were in DFW last week (our second trip) and learned a lot. We had been leaning toward willow bay (DR Horton), but after seeing several "finished" homes we were taken back. Baseboards crooked, walls slightly bowed, the finish was not what I expected.

Then we saw brookstone (Ashton Woods) MUCH MUCH better finish out, then we saw highland (Stonebridge Ranch), INCREDABLE attention to details and finish out.

How does this seem to rate & what is the reputation of ashton woods? Also for those in the Stonebridge / Brookstone area of McKinney, do any of you commute to the addison / carrollton area and if so what ins the commute like?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 01:26 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,429,492 times
Highland bottom of the very top tier

Ashton Woods is a good midrange builder

DR Horton, well, read all the other posts. They are a big box corp builder. They also tend to build in lower end areas and they are known to sell out to investors (because their price range is right for landlords).

Which Highland Homes ? La Cima or Ridgecrest ? If Ridgecrest, note that this area is not part of Stonebridge and has a pretty good discount factored in. Regardless of what the reps there say, that discount will still get factored in when you sell. You can find deals over there though. If La Cima, I think this area meets alot of resale criteria - hence why I bought there. If your looking at Highland, also look at Darling. A small step up, but you'll see once you walk in one of their homes why they are one of the better semi custom builders in the Metroplex.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:06 PM

71 posts, read 343,879 times
Out of the builders you have mentioned I would back Highland all the way. They have always taken care of my clients problems after move in very quickly. The company has great relations with the home owners after the sale. Highland homes are built well and are attractive on the resale side as well.
I do not commute daily so I can not help you on that aspect.
Good luck and welcome to Texas.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:11 PM

Highland is the easiest one to deal with....nice rebates, throw in alot of extras, super cool sales people (darling has those too) etc. Darling is tough, they don't budge. I would have chosen Highland over Darling if the lot I wanted was a Highland lot and not Darling. Darling cost more per sq/ft for sure.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
I heard from one custom builder that Highland is one of the only "tract home" builders that actually follows city codes and goes above and beyond them.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:48 PM

45 posts, read 205,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Highland bottom of the very top tier

Ashton Woods is a good midrange builder

DR Horton, well, read all the other posts. They are a big box corp builder. They also tend to build in lower end areas and they are known to sell out to investors (because their price range is right for landlords).

Which Highland Homes ? La Cima or Ridgecrest ?

WOW, thanks for the info. We are looking at Aspendale & McKinney Greens (Highland) and Brookstone (Ashton Woods). I need to research the commute from Mckinney Greens down 75 or down the tollway to see if the area is "commuteable".

Thank You....

Old 04-08-2007, 07:40 AM

You said Addision right ?

That's alot easier than downtown.

From Aspendale, go over to Custer. Custer to 121, then you have the option of taking either one of the North/South surface streets or jumping on the Tollway. I wouldn't use the 75 in the morning if I were you.

Also note that the Tollway to the 380 is scheduled to be complete soon, so you could take the 380 over to the Tollway then down.

Also note that the cities of Mckinney and Allen are working on a proposal to get some funds from the state and widen the 75.

And don't forget Bridgestreet that's going in over at 75 and 121. Really nice upscale shopping.

Also, the Adriatica (Croatian Village) in Stonebridge that's being built....

Or maybe the upscale homes above the 380 that will break ground later this year (Tucker Hill Ranch)

Or......all of the shopping and outdoor activities being planned for Craig Ranch.

Lots of really promising stuff going in North of the 121.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:58 AM

87 posts, read 373,314 times
AZ,

I live in Brookstone and have an Ashton house, and I love it a lot. Which Brookstone are you looking at? Brookstone I or II? Brookstone I has the rear garage entry houses, and Brookstone II has the front entry garages. Brookstone I is in close out, so there are only handful of lots left. HOA's are cheap ($350, but there's not that much for amenities (pool & playground, common areas). McKinney Greens HOA's are $1700/year, but that includes membership to the golf course, and free games (first come, firt serve basis). Its closer to highways, the hospital, and McKinney ISD. The only thing I didn't like about McKinney Green's is that its near the "older" side of McKinney. They're tax rate is also 2.91%. If you go around the corner on McDonald St, you will see old houses and projects. To me, that's an eyesore and could be troublesome. Aspendale is very nice too. Highland is a very nice builder. They have good floor plans. I would focus on Brookstone or Aspendale since its a Frisco ISD, 2.5% tax, and have nice sized lots. Craig Ranch is nice, but depending which division you go to since the lots are somewhat small. When I used to travel to Irving, it would take me around 60-80 minutes along 121 (30 mile drive) during morning & evening rush hour. Its usually a 30-40 minute drive with no traffic. Traffic is busy on 121 in the morning, but it gets worse when someone breaks down, or there is an accident since the majority of the commute is a 2 lane frontage road. Once they complete the SH121 highway, things will get better, but that may take another few years to complete. Hope this helps. Also. if you choose, Brookstone-Ashton, do you wanna refer me? I'll split the $250 Home Depot gift card with ya. :-) PM me for more details about the Ashton builder. So far, I have had no problems with them and they have been very responsive to the little requests/problems I've had. (like replacing dead sod 6 months later).

Old 04-08-2007, 08:02 AM

Mckinney tax rate is now 2.76, not 2.91.

This will continue to come down as it has a target on it's head.

There is a ton of new business going in over the next 2 years and alot of work being done to attract another Raytheon to the area. So I tend to believe them. The collin county regional airport is also part of that plan. Lots of new tax money outside of just new residents moving in.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 23,917 times
The area in McKinney is a buyers market. You might be able to save a lot of money by going with a pre owned home. I have sold a lot of homes in McKinney and most of the complaints about the area are in regards to the commute. The expansion of 121 should help out matters though. If you want a link to search the local MLS, send me a PM, and I will forward you a link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas