U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,998,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcameron View Post
Thanks compSciGuy, the academic performance of the school district is very important. Our daughter attends the top rated private school in our current area and we're looking to put her into a comparable public school district. So any information or websites that may assist in researching this will be quite helpful.
If you are wanting a school with very good academic performance, then Mansfield would be out because they are just average. Plano and Frisco schools are very highly regarded for being among the top schools in the state.

Having a lot of experience with private schools (I attended the top private school in NYC and we send our kids to one here as well), I would say that Plano, Frisco, and Highland Park schools are definitely the most comparable.

Here are the links to the School district web pages listed above:

HPISD > Home

Plano Independent School District – Plano, Texas

FISD Online :: Home (http://www.friscoisd.org/ - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 08:21 PM

4,013 posts, read 6,931,814 times
Mansfield has the better school district and they put alot of money and up keep in their schools as well.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,799,190 times
Quote:
Thanks compSciGuy, the academic performance of the school district is very important. Our daughter attends the top rated private school in our current area and we're looking to put her into a comparable public school district. So any information or websites that may assist in researching this will be quite helpful.
What grade are we talking about? Different schools in the districts have different academic atmospheres. Give us a grade (and possibly a price range for houses) and we can point you to specific schools.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:40 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,280,357 times
I would not move to any of them personally. But that is just me
Now, first and foremost is WHERE IS THE JOB YOU WILL BE COMMUTING TO? This is FAR more important than which of these particular school districts to pick from. Why? Because parents that are involved in their kids lives have a greater positive impact on their kids success in school than just going by "which school district is better". If your job is in far South Dallas then living in Frisco puts a parent further away and out of a childs life a good bit of the time. All districts DO have "bad" schools. Some kids can sink and not do well in a school that is academically top knotch. Meanwhile, over at a school that is less "desireable" by some based on the ethnic makeup or whatever may go much further academically than peers in the so-called "better" school. The parents and the student have more to imput that will decide if their education will be "the best" than the individual school and/or district.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 24,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
What grade are we talking about? Different schools in the districts have different academic atmospheres. Give us a grade (and possibly a price range for houses) and we can point you to specific schools.
She will be entering 7th grade. Home price range is 300k - 350k. By the way, I telecommute from home so there is no commute for me. Husband's job will more than likely be in Dallas but what part of Dallas I don't know yet.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:10 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,799,190 times
Default Re:

I would look in the Russell Creek area of Plano - feeds into Rice Middle School, Jasper High, and (currently) Plano Senior. Will probably feed into Plano West by the time your daughter reaches 11th grade.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:57 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,280,357 times
Quote:
She will be entering 7th grade. Home price range is 300k - 350k. By the way, I telecommute from home so there is no commute for me. Husband's job will more than likely be in Dallas but what part of Dallas I don't know yet.
If you do not know yet where your husband job is going to be located.......... RENT first. Read the thread where the OP is searching for public transit from McKinney to Midlothian. That thread should be a prime reminder to all people relocating to the metroplex. One should NOT go by what they have heard about living in certain areas if they do not yet know where their job will be located. There is no guarantee that your husbands job will be "in" Dallas. It is a big city w/ more than one "city center" where jobs are heavily located.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:33 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,581,808 times
Rent, rent, rent....it's summer time no kids in school. Rent for the summer, get a feel of the area then put down some roots!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:51 PM

4,305 posts, read 11,135,343 times
I would also suggest you rent until hubby finds out what part of town he will be working in. There is a huge difference between Mansfield and Plano/Frisco as far as location. If he finds a job downtown Frisco/Plano/Allen should be high on the list. If he gets a job in Arlington neither of those choices would be a good fit. As stated earlier commute times can really add up over the years and it really does affect the amount of time you have to spend with your kids.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:11 AM

27,573 posts, read 45,029,595 times
once school is out it is pretty difficult for kids to mix/mingle just in their neighborhood--
kids don't play outside like they used to and their time is scheduled with activities that often have nothing to do with where they live--especially by 7th grade--
I would suggest that you want to find where your husband is working and then probably get a 6 mo rental home in area that is reasonable commute so that your daughter might be able to change schools after the first quarter if you did find house in different location...
I would also suggest that you try to sign your daughter up for some summer classes in areas that she has an interest or get her involved with some volunteer activities--like maybe at local library

if you are working from home and need internet connection you might also research which provider seems to give the best service--parts of Dallas have ATT=UVerse for internet, part have Verizon FIOS and part of Dallas area has neither--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or