Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Don't feel compelled to spend $700,000 on a house here, I mean unless you just need to put your money somewhere.
So true - you can get a huge house here in a great school district for half that. Also look in the Richardson school district, there are a lot of great schools and you could get yourself a really short commute..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 09:56 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Two things. 700 thousand here is going to get you a hell of alot more house here than in the Philly burbs. If your husbands job is located at the tollroad and 635 Plano, Frisco, and Allen would be great places to start your search. I am one of those who not think the northern burbs are the end all to be all but in your case it would be a perfect fit.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
I agree that Plano ISD or Frisco ISD would be a much better fit from a commute standpoint. And the reviews that the schools are excellent is not an understatement, particularly the elementary ones. Both cities are very family oriented and self sufficient too.

Renting is a very good idea but you would very likely have to commit to a year lease or pay a premium for a 6 month lease. I have some clients that were in your situation and they ended up buying the house they were renting. It worked out great for the owners and them (not having to move again).

Naima

Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,871 times
Default Re:

Parts of the Bent Tree neighborhood are in the Plano ISD. This is only a few miles from your husband's work location. Houses in the area can be found from $300K or so up to 7 figures. You'd be looking at Mitchell and/or Rose Haggar elementary schools. MLS listings include school info. Just make sure to double-check with the district before signing anything.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJohn View Post
My husband's new job is off of the Dallas Parkway, north of 635.
Then I'd go with somewhere a lot closer and be about 10-15 minutes from home and still in a very good school district. You can get a very nice home in your price range nearby in the Richardson ISD and be in an area that is holding steady and increasing in value vs some of the far out suburbs. Lake Highlands is an option as are several very nice areas of North Dallas in the vicinty of the job location. Not much in the way of traffic and several viable routes in case of an accident. Your husband could come home for lunch or you could EASILY meet him for lunch and some shopping at the nearby Galleria. He could be within a few minutes of the kids schools to go eat lunch with them, volunteer, school activities, etc. The kids really do love it when dad also comes to eat lunch with them. And schools are ALWAYS needing a few dads to help out for field trips or such. He would not have to take off the entire day to do so since he would only be a few minutes from the office.

If you really want to stay closer in (inside of LBJ/6-35 which I'd do in a heartbeat over going out to the far burbs) and would not mind even private schools if you do not want to do the Dallas ISD then Preston Hollow would be a GREAT option. Again, an area that is going UP in value compared to the overbuilt suburbs. If you do reside in the Dallas ISD and your kids can they can try and get into the magnet programs. Yvonne Ewell and Townview are the top high schools in the nation right here in the Dallas ISD. Booker T. Washington is the Fine Arts magnet (MANY well known artists have come out of here).

Old 05-19-2009, 01:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Also Dallas W.T. White High just south of LBJ near there is ranked #131 in the nation by Newsweek (out of 22,000 high schools).

Old 05-19-2009, 01:51 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJohn View Post
We want to stay in the 700s

Might as well buy two or three

Old 05-19-2009, 03:47 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Then I'd go with somewhere a lot closer and be about 10-15 minutes from home and still in a very good school district. You can get a very nice home in your price range nearby in the Richardson ISD and be in an area that is holding steady and increasing in value vs some of the far out suburbs. Lake Highlands is an option as are several very nice areas of North Dallas in the vicinty of the job location. Not much in the way of traffic and several viable routes in case of an accident. Your husband could come home for lunch or you could EASILY meet him for lunch and some shopping at the nearby Galleria. He could be within a few minutes of the kids schools to go eat lunch with them, volunteer, school activities, etc. The kids really do love it when dad also comes to eat lunch with them. And schools are ALWAYS needing a few dads to help out for field trips or such. He would not have to take off the entire day to do so since he would only be a few minutes from the office.

If you really want to stay closer in (inside of LBJ/6-35 which I'd do in a heartbeat over going out to the far burbs) and would not mind even private schools if you do not want to do the Dallas ISD then Preston Hollow would be a GREAT option. Again, an area that is going UP in value compared to the overbuilt suburbs. If you do reside in the Dallas ISD and your kids can they can try and get into the magnet programs. Yvonne Ewell and Townview are the top high schools in the nation right here in the Dallas ISD. Booker T. Washington is the Fine Arts magnet (MANY well known artists have come out of here).
I can be from Frisco to 635 in 12 minutes during my morning and afternoon commute.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:50 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
I can be from Frisco to 635 in 12 minutes during my morning and afternoon commute.
That is a VERY EARLY commute. Can't do that at lunch time. With kids in school and other kid activities it is very nice to be a LOT closer to home. Get a call from the school late in the day to come pick up a sick child and the other spouse can't make it your not going to be getting there in 12 minutes. One is also not going to leave work in that area and drive to Frisco just to have lunch w/ one of the kids at school.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:04 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
That is a VERY EARLY commute. Can't do that at lunch time. With kids in school and other kid activities it is very nice to be a LOT closer to home. Get a call from the school late in the day to come pick up a sick child and the other spouse can't make it your not going to be getting there in 12 minutes. One is also not going to leave work in that area and drive to Frisco just to have lunch w/ one of the kids at school.
Traffic is actually lighter during the day (non rush hour) then it is in the mornings and afternoons (rush hour). Yes, if there is a wreck during the day, then traffic can get bad.

Also remember that I make my commute a lot earlier than most people. I usually leave the house around 7:15 (definitely no later than 7:30), whereas a lot of people commute around 8. Traffic is a lot worse on all roads by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas