U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 PM

8,862 posts, read 10,327,864 times

Advertisements

take a look at the Hillcrest or Woodrow or WTW cheerleading team>>

I know this is hardly of great importance but for years I've watched the Hillcrest cheerleaders and wondered why they're a predominantly anglo group considering the racial make-up of the school. As far as I can tell the answer seems to be that it's the anglo girls who want to do it. The Panadettes dance team, on the other hand, draws more minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,397,483 times
I had someone tell me at Hillcrest the Anglos are the football cheerleaders and the basketball cheerleaders are African-American.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:31 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,887,036 times
And neither reflects the true composition of the school because it's at least 60% Hispanic by now.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:34 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,802,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I had someone tell me at Hillcrest the Anglos are the football cheerleaders and the basketball cheerleaders are African-American.

And the Ballet Folklorico is mostly Hispanic!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:22 PM

264 posts, read 1,056,261 times
Definitely check out Richardson ISD as well. ALL schools in Richardson ISD are predicted (from TAKS results, etc.) to be rated Recognized or Exemplary for the upcoming school year. It is a fantastic, diverse district with very strong leadership and parental involvement.

Check out areas that feed into Brentfield, Bowie, Northwood Hills, or Prairie Creek Elementaries in the North Dallas area (which all feed into JJ Pearce HS). Also, check out the Lake Highlands area - Moss Haven, Merriman Park, or White Rock Elementaries (which all feed into Lake Highlands High School).

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:42 PM

8,862 posts, read 10,327,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
And neither reflects the true composition of the school because it's at least 60% Hispanic by now.
Right, so what's the deal? I'd say the vast majority of the Panaders (not Panadettes) are Hispanic, is it just a matter of which activity is popular among each group? The actual football team is pretty mixed.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 PM

23,618 posts, read 31,190,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Right, so what's the deal? I'd say the vast majority of the Panaders (not Panadettes) are Hispanic, is it just a matter of which activity is popular among each group? The actual football team is pretty mixed.
A friend of mine's brother in law lives down the street from Hillcrest and he says it's "scary", and since this guy is kind of racist I take that to mean it has a lot of minorities. Given its location it is probably mostly Hispanic with a large black minority and a very small white minority, probably mostly like W.T. White these days.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:52 PM

2,259 posts, read 8,635,649 times
>>Given its location it is probably mostly Hispanic with a large black minority and a very small white minority, probably mostly like W.T. White these days.<<

The dallasisd scorecards lists Hillcrest as 55% Hispanic, 27% African American and 16% white, 2% other. 53% are reduced lunch. 55% of freshman on track for graduation. SAT score - 980, ACT - 20. http://www.dallasisd.org/scorecards/pdfcards/006E_HILLCREST.pdf (broken link)

WT White is a school just about twice as large with a 68% Hispanic population, 16% AA, 14% White and 2% other. 61% are reduced lunch and 58% of the freshman are on track for graduation. SAT score - 917, ACT - 20. http://www.dallasisd.org/scorecards/pdfcards/021E_WHITE.pdf (broken link)

Since Woodrow is the DISD high school brought up as an interest to many, the score card lists them with a 68% Hispanic population, 12% AA and 18% White, 2% other. 53% of the students have reduced lunch and 57% of the freshman are on track for graduation. Average SAT score - 1006, ACT - 20.
http://www.dallasisd.org/scorecards/pdfcards/022E_WILSON.pdf (broken link)

All 3 schools are academically acceptable rated schools.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:08 PM

23,618 posts, read 31,190,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
>>Given its location it is probably mostly Hispanic with a large black minority and a very small white minority, probably mostly like W.T. White these days.<<

The dallasisd scorecards lists Hillcrest as 55% Hispanic, 27% African American and 16% white, 2% other. 53% are reduced lunch. 55% of freshman on track for graduation. SAT score - 980, ACT - 20. http://www.dallasisd.org/scorecards/pdfcards/006E_HILLCREST.pdf (broken link)

WT White is a school just about twice as large with a 68% Hispanic population, 16% AA, 14% White and 2% other. 61% are reduced lunch and 58% of the freshman are on track for graduation. SAT score - 917, ACT - 20. http://www.dallasisd.org/scorecards/pdfcards/021E_WHITE.pdf (broken link)

Since Woodrow is the DISD high school brought up as an interest to many, the score card lists them with a 68% Hispanic population, 12% AA and 18% White, 2% other. 53% of the students have reduced lunch and 57% of the freshman are on track for graduation. Average SAT score - 1006, ACT - 20.
http://www.dallasisd.org/scorecards/pdfcards/022E_WILSON.pdf (broken link)

All 3 schools are academically acceptable rated schools.
I was somewhat right! I did not go to any of those schools, grew up in Hillcrest's zone but went to private school for HS so I have no personal experience with any of them.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:15 AM

69,367 posts, read 79,558,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJohn View Post
Hi...my family is relocating from the Philadelphia suburbs to the Dallas area. I have been doing some research on school districts and would appreciate some opinions. We have two elementary age children and an excellent public school education is important to us. Carroll ISD and Plano ISD seem to have some highly rated elementary, middle and senior high schools. My husband's new position will be located north of downtown Dallas. Not knowing the area, I may have just described half of TX! We will have an opportunity to rent before we buy, but we would like to rent in the school district we think we would like to buy into so that our children may be at least settled in a school. I am really interested to hear some thoughts and opinions regarding school districts, specific towns within the districts that people enjoy, etc. One last question for now....when do schools start in the fall or is it August? Thanks!
If he is working directly north, Plano would be the perfect place to settle, if he is working north west you may want to consider Lewisville school district, concentrating on Flower Mound or Highland Village area. Lewisville schools themselves are not quite as good. I see from reading more, he will be working off the tollway. Yes, Plano would be your best bet. A few have mentioned Frisco and Allen, I still would concentrate on Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or