U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:03 AM

81 posts, read 207,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
I would chose Frisco, McKinney, W. Plano or even Allen/Fairview before chosing to live in Dallas. The traffic, the crime, the everyday milieu. It's worth it to drive the 30-35 minutes to get out of that to be where we are now (N. of 121).
Actually, I think the traffic up in Frisco and that area is waaay worse. And if you want to get out of the Frisco bubble to head down to a destination city (Dallas), you are really fighting it.

I rarely hit any traffic inside the LBJ loop and rarely have to get on a freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:43 AM

133 posts, read 450,298 times
If you're talking about a city for the next 15-20 years, it has to be Dallas.

20 years from now, gasoline will be $40/gallon, overall energy prices will be through the roof at minimum and Frisco/McKinney/Plano/et. al. will be wastelands and desolve of human activity.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:49 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,305,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
I would chose Frisco, McKinney, W. Plano or even Allen/Fairview before chosing to live in Dallas. The traffic, the crime, the everyday milieu. It's worth it to drive the 30-35 minutes to get out of that to be where we are now (N. of 121).
NOT ME!!! Yikes. Makes me shudder...... You have got to really get to KNOW Dallas to know that there are indeed MANY MANY MANY great areas to live in the City Limits of Dallas. It really is a great city and it is not all crime and heavy traffic. As someone else pointed out, Frisco has far more traffic than most parts of Dallas. It does. It can take 15 minutes in the middle of the day just to go 2 blocks down Preston in Frisco. In Dallas one can be across to the other side of the city in that amount of time. Say leave Lakewood and head over to NorthPark Mall........ be there in less than 15 minutes parked. Closer in we can make last minute decisions and be anywhere in no time for dinner or whatever. The housing is MUCH better in Dallas too. Not only is it more stable in value and going up but it is a totally different feel and vibe. As another poster mentioned, character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
One thing that strikes me funny about Frisco being a "destination" city. The argument for it being a destination is that it has a couple of entertainment venues and restaurants/retail.
How they determined it was a "destination city" is based on how many nights the area hotels/motels were booked. Considering most of those people were probably there on business at one of the nearby locations........... I'd hardly call it a "destination city". Anyone from this area that goes to Frisco goes for one thing like FC Dallas, Dallas Tornadoes, concert at Pizza Hut Park, RoughRiders (because it is easier than going to Arlington and more "kid friendly" baseball), etc. It isn't people flocking to Frisco from around the country or world for their summer family vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Generation Dallas View Post
Actually, I think the traffic up in Frisco and that area is waaay worse. And if you want to get out of the Frisco bubble to head down to a destination city (Dallas), you are really fighting it.

I rarely hit any traffic inside the LBJ loop and rarely have to get on a freeway.
I KNOW!!! It is true. Frisco and McKinney have HORRIBLE traffic. Not just in rush hour either but all the time and every day of the week. It isn't fun at all. I can tell a huge difference in the traffic on 190 going East the minute I cross over 75. It suddenly changes for the better. Surface streets in Dallas are a breeze to navigate and the traffic moves freely.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:56 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,104,627 times
I have enjoyed many visits to San Francisco (Refering to it as Frisco is considered rude by locals) and do consider it a destination city. But I wouldn't consider it a good place to raise a famiily. It is very urban and most of the homes are very old which will make them money pits in the future. That coupled with a pretty good damaging earthquake every 10 years or so and you need to live somewhere else. For visitors, 20 somethings and artistic types, it is great. Everyone should go their at least once.
I personally have been to Texas only a few times and it does not appeal to me personally because I am accustomed to living in places that are not quite so flat, however, that being said. I think Dallas probably has the best future of the places you mentioned.
However, don't close your mind, If you want a San Francisco vibe surrounded by family friendly suburbs try Seattle, WA, Portland ,OR or Vancouver, Canada.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:01 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,721,185 times
I wouldn't create decisions or judgements about Frisco based on the statistics resulting from the spending behavior of others.

People are people, and half the people in the U.S. have IQ's below 100. I would decide for yourself.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 AM

81 posts, read 207,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
I have enjoyed many visits to San Francisco (Refering to it as Frisco is considered rude by locals) and do consider it a destination city. But I wouldn't consider it a good place to raise a famiily.
Frisco is a fast-growing suburb North of Dallas. Not to be confused with SF.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,305,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Generation Dallas View Post
Frisco is a fast-growing suburb North of Dallas. Not to be confused with SF.
ROTFLMAO!!!! But hey, who knows pretty soon they could put in a wharf. I'd think they may annex The Colony and make it their own Alcatraz.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:36 PM

6,917 posts, read 9,612,156 times
OK you Dallas snobs, Frisco is a perfectly fine place as are the other Collin County cities. Post War north Dallas was what Frisco is today. The region has grown tremendously, growth had to go somewhere. The same type of growth and people moving in went to North Dallas post war, Richardson in the 60s and 70s, Plano in the 80s and 90s and 90s to present to Allen, McKinney and Frisco.

Friso does have the Rough Riders stadium, Dr. Pepper Star Center and Pizza Hut Park along with Stonebriar Centre and IKEA which does give it some claim to destination status. I don't think anyone is saying that this puts it past the two regional centers in the metroplex, but probably does give it some bragging rights with the other burbs, Grapevine and Arlington perhaps the only other two with destination sites that would compare.

All this inside 635 snobbery gets old. Coming from out of state, the only difference I see is the housing stock inside 635 is older, the trees have had time to mature. Still the same flat endless Texas landscape, still a bunch of grid patterned neighborhoods of brick homes. Still have people that get up, go to work, raise families, have joys and heartaches. Some like the burbs, some like closer in. This painting of suburbanites as inferior or robotic is nonsense.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:24 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,890,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
OK you Dallas snobs, Frisco is a perfectly fine place as are the other Collin County cities. Post War north Dallas was what Frisco is today. The region has grown tremendously, growth had to go somewhere. The same type of growth and people moving in went to North Dallas post war, Richardson in the 60s and 70s, Plano in the 80s and 90s and 90s to present to Allen, McKinney and Frisco.

Friso does have the Rough Riders stadium, Dr. Pepper Star Center and Pizza Hut Park along with Stonebriar Centre and IKEA which does give it some claim to destination status. I don't think anyone is saying that this puts it past the two regional centers in the metroplex, but probably does give it some bragging rights with the other burbs, Grapevine and Arlington perhaps the only other two with destination sites that would compare.

All this inside 635 snobbery gets old. Coming from out of state, the only difference I see is the housing stock inside 635 is older, the trees have had time to mature. Still the same flat endless Texas landscape, still a bunch of grid patterned neighborhoods of brick homes. Still have people that get up, go to work, raise families, have joys and heartaches. Some like the burbs, some like closer in. This painting of suburbanites as inferior or robotic is nonsense.
I don't see how having a minor league baseball and hockey complex, a stadium for a foreign sport no one in the states watches, and a mass-produced furniture store makes a place a "destination city." People certainly aren't going on vacation to Frisco and they certainly aren't deciding to move to Frisco--they're moving to Dallas and settle on the suburb of Frisco.

So whatever amenities it has does not in any way make it a destination city, it just makes it a suburb with minor league sports and a furniture store. Woohoo!

Old 05-20-2009, 03:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 10,341,970 times
OK you Dallas snobs, Frisco is a perfectly fine place as are the other Collin County cities.>>

No skatescooter for you! ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or