Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:48 PM

81 posts, read 237,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
OK you Dallas snobs, Frisco is a perfectly fine place as are the other Collin County cities. Post War north Dallas was what Frisco is today.

All this inside 635 snobbery gets old. Coming from out of state, the only difference I see is the housing stock inside 635 is older, the trees have had time to mature. Still the same flat endless Texas landscape,
Alright, now that I have been labeled as a snob...

Post WWII Dallas is nothing like the Frisco of today. The neighborhoods are vastly different than what you will find up in the far northern burbs. The thing that sticks out most down here is that the neighborhoods have soul. An abundance of housing styles are found from Tudor to ranch style, to smaller bungalows. People are very protective of their neighborhoods. Tearing down a smaller bungalow in favor of a McMansion is frowned upon down here, while the cookie cutter style of home up there is generally embraced.

Now, about that flat, endless landscape...

Texas has a VERY diverse landscape, that few other states can claim. Go East for less than 90 minutes and you are in dense piney woods. Go South-Southwest and you are in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. Go West-Southwest a ways and you're in 8-9,000 foot mountains. Be careful of painting everything and everyone here with such a broad brush my Georgian friend, or at least do a little research first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
ROTFLMAO!!!! But hey, who knows pretty soon they could put in a wharf. I'd think they may annex The Colony and make it their own Alcatraz.
LOL Maybe Stan's Blue Note can put in a boat ramp?

Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Generation Dallas View Post
Frisco is a fast-growing suburb North of Dallas. Not to be confused with SF.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I deem myself no longer ignorant lol

Old 05-20-2009, 03:36 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:

Post WWII Dallas is nothing like the Frisco of today. The neighborhoods are vastly different than what you will find up in the far northern burbs. The thing that sticks out most down here is that the neighborhoods have soul. An abundance of housing styles are found from Tudor to ranch style, to smaller bungalows. People are very protective of their neighborhoods. Tearing down a smaller bungalow in favor of a McMansion is frowned upon down here, while the cookie cutter style of home up there is generally embraced.

Texas has a VERY diverse landscape, that few other states can claim. Go East for less than 90 minutes and you are in dense piney woods. Go South-Southwest and you are in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. Go West-Southwest a ways and you're in 8-9,000 foot mountains. Be careful of painting everything and everyone here with such a broad brush my Georgian friend, or at least do a little research first.
I wish this were the case in Preston Hollow. The house I spent my first 5 years in Dallas in is has been combined with 2 other lots for a McMansion. Kinda sad...

Old 05-20-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
OK you Dallas snobs, Frisco is a perfectly fine place as are the other Collin County cities. Post War north Dallas was what Frisco is today. The region has grown tremendously, growth had to go somewhere. The same type of growth and people moving in went to North Dallas post war, Richardson in the 60s and 70s, Plano in the 80s and 90s and 90s to present to Allen, McKinney and Frisco.

Friso does have the Rough Riders stadium, Dr. Pepper Star Center and Pizza Hut Park along with Stonebriar Centre and IKEA which does give it some claim to destination status. I don't think anyone is saying that this puts it past the two regional centers in the metroplex, but probably does give it some bragging rights with the other burbs, Grapevine and Arlington perhaps the only other two with destination sites that would compare.

All this inside 635 snobbery gets old. Coming from out of state, the only difference I see is the housing stock inside 635 is older, the trees have had time to mature. Still the same flat endless Texas landscape, still a bunch of grid patterned neighborhoods of brick homes. Still have people that get up, go to work, raise families, have joys and heartaches. Some like the burbs, some like closer in. This painting of suburbanites as inferior or robotic is nonsense.
Isn't it just a little bit ironic that someone named "Saintmarks" is calling anyone a snob?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:52 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Isn't it just a little bit ironic that someone named "Saintmarks" is calling anyone a snob?
I chose the screen name after the rural community in Georgia where I grew up. And the problem with that?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:17 PM

The elite, old money, Protestant, $25k a year private school in Dallas is called Saint Mark's School of Texas.

So in Dallas it's rather ironic. I assumed that you were a Saint Mark's alum, my mistake.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:34 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Actually, I think the traffic up in Frisco and that area is waaay worse. And if you want to get out of the Frisco bubble to head down to a destination city (Dallas), you are really fighting it.

I rarely hit any traffic inside the LBJ loop and rarely have to get on a freeway.
We'll we simply will have to agree to disagree, regarding the traffic, as I think the traffic especially within the loop is much, much worse. Today being a prime example.

And if I want to get out of Frisco, to head down to the "far away land" of Dallas, it takes no more than 20-25 min.'s tops in any traffic situation other than morning/evening rush.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
We'll we simply will have to agree to disagree, regarding the traffic, as I think the traffic especially within the loop is much, much worse. Today being a prime example.

And if I want to get out of Frisco, to head down to the "far away land" of Dallas, it takes no more than 20-25 min.'s tops in any traffic situation other than morning/evening rush.
LOL Outside of morning/evening rush hours, I don't think anyone in the metroplex has much of a problem. The difference is, your street traffic is worse at any given point during the day compared to Dallas.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:43 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:

My, the natives are rather touchy aren't they?

I have been in Texas off and on for 25 years now and don't need a geography lecture. I love the Hill Country, I love the Big Bend Country, I love the East Texas Pines (that look much like my home state, mind you). If you read my post I was referring to the specific area that runs from Dallas north thru Frisco since so many of you think that mecca is south of 635 and anything north of PGBT is anathema. The area is flat, has few trees unless they are in a creek bottom or have been purposefully planted.

Housing stock in specific blocks south of 635 are (or were when they were built) very generic. Block after block of 50s and 60s era brick ranches cover much of North Dallas. Going from west to east from Harry Hines to Central will take you on a socio economic tour of Dallas history, each major north south street crossed will take you into a new income bracket, and a larger, more extensive stock, but those neighborhoods are classic suburban layouts of their era. Of course when one gets close to Preston, big money takes over and custom homes in lush settings prevail, but every major city has its golden ghetto, so nothing new there. Cross Preston and the trend reverses until you get to Garland/Mesquite.

Time has given these neighborhoods a patina, if you will, vegetation has matured, people have updated and individualized the tract house of the day. McMansions are going up in older neighborhoods, commercial intrusion as well. Nothing new. Closer in Dallas, you have a more eclectic mix as you get to older neighborhoods, but the same styles can be found here in McKinney (gasp! architectural diversity in the barren wastelands of Collin County! Oh my! How can that be? They are Republicans up there!).

I might be a Georgia native (same snobbery exists on the Atlanta forum between those "ITP" -- inside the perimeter -- and "OTP" -- do i need to spell that one out?) but I know the area.

My post is a counterpoint to the ridiculousness that I see in so many eschewing anything north of the Dallas city limits. From my humble background in Georgia, we call that snobbery. I think most of the good Texans I meet outside of the north side of Dallas would use the same term as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas