U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 17,459 times

Advertisements

I am trying to use Priceline to get a hotel in Dallas, but the problem is, I have never been there and don't know which areas are safe to choose. I am driving from Little Rock with my husband for a weekend getaway.

Help?

Here are my choices:
Allen-McKinney
Arlington - Grand Prairie
Arlington South
DFW Airport North
DFW Airport South
Dallas Northwest
Downtown Dallas
East Dallas
Frisco
Galleria-Dallas North
Grand Prairie South
Hurst-Euless-Bedford
Irving-Las Colinas
Knox-northpark
Lewisville
Market center-DAL love field
Park Central
Richardson-Plano

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:28 AM

2,346 posts, read 5,791,659 times
Default Re:

Well, there's safe as in "My car won't be broken into", and there's safe as in "Priceline won't stick me with a crappy hotel".

Are you just looking for a super-cheap room, or are you looking for a nice hotel at a bargain price?

If you bid in the area around Galleria, you can usually get a 4-star hotel for a great price on the weekend.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:38 AM

50 posts, read 110,595 times
If you want to have a fun weekend getaway with nightlife, forget Dallas and stay in Fort Worth. Choose the downtown location for 3.5 stars and use your free rebids on the surrounding areas.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:39 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,307,282 times
We just stayed at Country Inn & Suites in Lewisville and LOVED it. They are currently running 3 day specials thru June 15... great deal! So helpful and nice! And we felt safe too.

We just returned last week from a 2 week trip... we hit NE, IA, WI, IL, MO and TX. I learned something very important about Priceline and hotels.com... 1)the reservation cannot be changed by the hotel staff if you go through a 3rd party and 2) they aren't any cheaper.

For instance, the Country Inn? Great deal on a suite ($69/nt for 3 nt stay)... but we made our initial reservation (at the first one in IL) thru hotels.com. The staff couldn't upgrade us and explained this. Also something similar at the Quality Inn in Schaumburg. Because of our reservation thru hotels.com, even though they were running a promo on 2 rooms for the price of 1 during our stay, we couldn't switch over.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:14 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
First off........ Is the purpose of this "weekend getaway"? Some of those areas are NOT going to be near much of anything. Sure if your visiting relatives/friends and/or doing a home search they will work. If your sightseeing and want to be near big time shopping, dining, attractions, etc they are going to be awful and you will spend most of your time driving instead of enjoying your time. So...... What are you wanting to see and do while here? We can go from there to let you know which areas would be best.

Another thing, go directly to the hotels website and you can pretty much get the same price nowadays that you can on the bargain websites and sometimes better deals. This coming from someone that has used all of them over the years and found now that the hotels have turned over the same prices to these other sites.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 17,459 times
Thank you so much for the responses.

momof2 ~ I haven't really researched what exactly we're going to do. We want to go to Six Flags, but other than that we just want to have a fun time away from the kids. Restaurants, shopping, nightlife, all sounds good.

BootStrap, thank you for the tip about Fort Worth.

sskkc ~ thanks! I'll look at that one too.

Big G ~ Not necessarily just a "super cheap" room. We travel all over the place and first I go to biddingfortravel and see what hotels are proven in the area. Then I go to the hotel websites and other "discount" websites and research the prices. After all that, I go to Priceline and start my bid at 50% of what I've found.

I know, complicated, but I've gotten great deals that way and haven't gotten burned... yet. Maybe I should knock on wood lol. I haven't gotten stuck with any crappy hotels or paid more than what I would have been charged otherwise.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,242,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitara View Post

momof2 ~ I haven't really researched what exactly we're going to do. We want to go to Six Flags, but other than that we just want to have a fun time away from the kids. Restaurants, shopping, nightlife, all sounds good.

Based on this here is the rundown on the list you gave:

Allen-McKinney - Well over an hour from Six Flags and other such attractions. Would not go this route at all unless you want totally WAY OUT THERE suburbs. We jokingly refer to this area as Southern Oklahoma.

Arlington - Grand Prairie - There are some hotels near Six Flags but for just a couple......I'd stay somewhere else. Some areas in this vicinity are "seedy". If your looking for the "adult entertainment" it can be found almost in walking distance to some hotels.

Arlington South - not much to see out there for a "weekend getaway". Close to Six Flags but that is it.

DFW Airport North - A wee bit better but not great. If you want North of the airport then check out the hotel located in the Southlake Town Center area.

DFW Airport South - Most likely you would end up somewhere along Hwy 183. A lot of traffic. Close to Six Flags but you would be driving EVERYWHERE.

Dallas Northwest - eh. This would put you along Stemmons (aka I-35). Some nice hotels but your going to drive to everything. The Anatole, and several other nice places and then some that are ehh, no thanks.

Downtown Dallas - If you go with a 4-5 star place this would put you centrally located for a lot of attractions. Still would have to drive (you will with any of them but not as much from here). A lot of attractions in the vicinity. When we do in-town "weekend getaways" as a couple we usually end up downtown. Never been disappointed.

East Dallas - not much east of Dallas for a super nice hotel.

Frisco - See Allen/McKinney. Unless you want to deal w/ a LOT of traffic every single time you head somewhere. Close to the RoughRiders (baseball) and you can even get a room that overlooks the field.

Galleria-Dallas North - Probably would be my second choice after downtown. Somewhat centrally located but you would still need to drive everywhere. Unless you got a room at the Westin Galleria then you would be IN the mall.

Grand Prairie South - NO!
Hurst-Euless-Bedford - no.
Irving-Las Colinas - Not bad but mostly for business travelers. The Four Seasons though is very nice and has a very nice spa.

Knox-northpark - Okay, I'd make this my 2nd choice after downtown and then the Galleria area. You COULD possibly walk to several things from here depending on where you stay and what your wanting. More "quirky" than the suburbs of Allen/McKinney/Frisco and a different vibe. If your wanting to escape the "family feel" then this would work for sure.

Lewisville - another suburb. If your passing thru or house hunting in the nearby area this would be okay. Otherwise, no.

Market center-DAL love field - Some nice hotels and some seedy ones. Your going to be driving to everything unless you stay at the Marriott Market Center and something is going on at Market Hall your interested in.

Park Central - Not bad. Better than the suburban locations for sure. Still be driving to everything.

Richardson-Plano - As much as I like this better than some it is still a suburban location.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:54 AM

4,608 posts, read 7,111,566 times
If you can get a deal on The Rosewood Mansion at Turtle Creek or The Melrose then go for it. Both are in Oak Lawn but access to downtown, the Galleria, NorthPark, Arlington and DFW is good. You'd probly enjoy the neighborhood, being old but re-developed... (the neighborhood). The Melrose is a short walk from EatZi's, a take out deli worth the visit alone.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 PM

50 posts, read 110,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitara View Post

Definitely Ft Worth - The downtown is very friendly and full of life with good food, etc. They also have great museums plus the stockyards (you can take the train to grapevine if you want).

Quote:
I know, complicated, but I've gotten great deals that way and haven't gotten burned... yet. Maybe I should knock on wood lol. I haven't gotten stuck with any crappy hotels or paid more than what I would have been charged otherwise.
I'm with you. I've been using priceline for over 10 years now and never been burned - given your situation and the fact that you want to go to 6 flags you could also safely consider Arlington, DFW or Grapevine (where you can take the train to the stockyards).

Old 05-20-2009, 12:46 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,791,659 times
One of the zones has (or at least had a few years back) a very nice golf club resort (Tesoro?) you could often get easily on Priceline. Bidding for Travel should have info on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or